Extremely Simple Petroleum Boiler

I haven't played for a while. So this is just a demo, not real game. I will probably return after the complete build release. Anyway, here is the demo, gif first as usually.

ezgif-4-374ecf49e28b.gif.0fc09fd527e664583e140663c662651b.gif

My main input here is to eliminate the need of robo-miner, by letting magma turn into igneous rock debris instead of tiles. How? Magma turns into tiles only when THE LIQUID has more liquid on top of it. If there is only 1 layer of liquid, it will turn into igneous rock debris instead.

----------------------------------

That's basically it. You can continue reading if you wanna know the detail of my demo setup.

Setup

1. the mechanical door in the middle to control heat transfer.

2. on the left of the door, volcano side, igneous rock tile layer has low temperature which will convert future magma to debris instantly. Don't dig them up.

3. on the right of the door, thermometers side, the petroleum temperature is maintained at 450 C. So every drop of incoming crude oil will turn instantly. When this petroleum's temperature goes below 450, door closes to get more heat, above 450, door opens. When temperature below 420C, crude oil incoming is shut off in order to maintain the purity of the buffer. These numbers can be adjusted anyhow you like, but it has to be well above crude oil's boiling point.

Spoiler

just to show you input crude oil and transfer of petroleum.

5cc0f6bb852c2_Screenshot(82).thumb.png.9c21a02be0cb8b9019642ba6b4625a08.png

4. automation, controlled by 2 thermometer, apparently.

Spoiler

just to show you the thermometers, nothing here

5cc0f706aefa3_Screenshot(83).thumb.png.30da612df1a67ddc2879bc934eb92154.png

5. because petroleum liquid is always floating above crude oil, the right wall of petroleum room is lower than left wall, so that petroleum can fall to be gathered.

6. atmosphere is vacuum, obviously.

A little More Info

• Everything inside is accessible.
  • For the debris igneous rocks, maybe you can setup a auto-sweeper to take them to turbine room. To deal with overheating problem, you can use a super thin layer of whatever gas to keep it cool all time. For more detail, check out the spoiler
Spoiler

ezgif-5-9549ab1740d5.gif.e36a06d81e76606

Even more detail in last spoiler from

• there is nothing rigid here, a lot of room for customization and creativity.

The obvious problem is that the petroleum is 420 C when it comes out. Which means that pump must be thermium, and you can't build this prior to obtaining space materials with petroleum rockets. You're also dealing with very hot petroleum in your base.

I like the various counter-flow boilers which transfer heat from the petroleum to the incoming oil, thus giving you reasonably cool petroleum, and reducing the heat cost for boiling.

48 minutes ago, Gus Smedstad said:

The obvious problem is that the petroleum is 420 C when it comes out. Which means that pump must be thermium, and you can't build this prior to obtaining space materials with petroleum rockets. You're also dealing with very hot petroleum in your base.

I like the various counter-flow boilers which transfer heat from the petroleum to the incoming oil, thus giving you reasonably cool petroleum, and reducing the heat cost for boiling.

Just adapt it the you way you need. Like you said, some radiant pipe thru a third petroleum buffer tank (between the current two on the picture) will solve it..

Archived