Well! (My first experience with winter)

I'm gonna share my first experience with Winter, and how I felt the new patch was in terms of things added and difficulty, I'd love to hear your experiences too.Well, I just died. It was day 24, and I was killed by Mactusk (after killing one Mactusk plus a hound or two, but there just happened to be another one right next to the other). I was playing as Wilson and I feel real good about this update. I heard people saying its too hard with the decreased damage and armor, but I feel it was pretty balanced, as about 4 hits with even an axe or shovel kills a regular spider, I think that's about fair, and there are other ways of going about killing spiders too. I certainly felt there was a lot of pressure with knowing winter was coming, and I liked that a lot. Though I was in Winter for about 4 days, I only saw the ice effect on my screen once, and I just ran around as Wilson with a full beard and a winter hat (I did have a breezy vest just in case though, but I didn't seem to need it much). All in all, I'm ashamed to have died so soon into winter as I would have loved to explore more, note to self, not to take on 2 Mactusks at once, though I must say I did get relatively well prepared within the allotted time before Winter, so I definitely feel it comes at a fair time. That's enough rambling for now. :DTL;DR Love the update, how are you finding it, and if you died, how did you?

Edited by TheCactusThief

The update is very nice :) . It is harder now, but I love it, because now I have to think more about my actions. Too bad I was killed by a deerclop at day 27, next time I will use a wormhole. Imagine Wendy staying at a small campfire (I could see only a small area ) and suddenly a deerclop emerges from the dark...That was a nice shocking surprise!

I'm gonna share my first experience with Winter, and how I felt the new patch was in terms of things added and difficulty, I'd love to hear your experiences too.Well, I just died. It was day 24, and I was killed by Mactusk (after killing one Mactusk plus a hound or two, but there just happened to be another one right next to the other). I was playing as Wilson and I feel real good about this update. I heard people saying its too hard with the decreased damage and armor, but I feel it was pretty balanced, as about 4 hits with even an axe or shovel kills a regular spider, I think that's about fair, and there are other ways of going about killing spiders too. I certainly felt there was a lot of pressure with knowing winter was coming, and I liked that a lot. Though I was in Winter for about 4 days, I only saw the ice effect on my screen once, and I just ran around as Wilson with a full beard and a winter hat (I did have a breezy vest just in case though, but I didn't seem to need it much). All in all, I'm ashamed to have died so soon into winter as I would have loved to explore more, note to self, not to take on 2 Mactusks at once, though I must say I did get relatively well prepared within the allotted time before Winter, so I definitely feel it comes at a fair time. That's enough rambling for now. :DTL;DR Love the update, how are you finding it, and if you died, how did you?

It's like you're writing your last rites. I'm not criticizing, it's a good thing. We're much more emotionally connected to the game now when we die, just as I was. I didn't even make it past day 15 - I couldn't stand sitting next to the fire for 20 days and died hunting for a breezy vest, but I couldn't see the elephants tracks in the snow.I thought insanity was the best update ... nope, winter is def the best update to date! Can't wait to see what's in store next.

*Sigh*. I died playing Wendy due to the cold. Well, actually I haven't, yet. But when I start up the game again I will. I'm out of food, have no protective clothing, and it's the middle of the night.I was trying to play in-character, and not as a gamer, so I didn't get any silk or anything like that because why would anyone attack a spider's nest, right? And I didn't focus on my base building or food gathering enough. Winter game while I was out on an expedition, away from the thermometer-thing, so it took me by surprise.The way I figured it, Wendy isn't scared of death, she's just trying to delay it for Abigail's sake. So, I tried to play like that. I think I got to day 20ish or so. Which is longer then I normally last, actually...I really need to start reading up on some guides. And what a coincidence! The forum goer right above my post has a handy link in their sig!

It's good in the SandBox engine (the new custom) they allow removing spiders, tree guards, tentacles, etc. but also good they don't allow you to remove winter mobs or insanity mobs

They allow you to remove WEinter, which means removing Winter mobs.