we need help character modding, got stuck on white screen. (link to original reddit post included)

3 minutes ago, Omaremad74 said:

Might wanna just replace all "Dot" with "dot", Didn't find any "dot" 's but might as well try.

(Sorry if this doesn't work and just wastes your time xD)

I just replaced "Dot" with "dot" in the modmain and still nothing, it even gave the same "Could not find dot" message. This likely won't work. @chazcat124, you should get a new sample character, test to see if it actually works first, then start editting stuff

Just now, patdogr said:

I just replaced "Dot" with "dot" in the modmain and still nothing, it even gave the same "Could not find dot" message. This likely won't work. @chazcat124, you should get a new sample character, test to see if it actually works first, then start editting stuff

That is very strange, indeed wondering what could be the problem.

Edit: Well Never mind then!

Edited by Omaremad74

1 minute ago, chazcat124 said:

actually, I DID test it. worked like a charm. until i started changing stuff. I at least remembered to copy it first!

Well anyway, be careful with your casing and follow the guide exactly if you wanna try that again, or maybe you can debug it

well... other than renaming all esctemplates, i changed the speed of Dot, the hunger the health... added a description... All simple changes, really.

Also, I didn't touch the pictures.

I tried to find a more recent tutorial to follow, but the most recent one is from 2013.

And I'm pretty sure the game has changed since then.

got called down to dinner, will pick this up when we come back.

thanks for your help so far!

i'm back.

i'll take another look at things i believe i have changed, like in one document, the modmain.lua, it says 

-- Custom speech strings
STRINGS.CHARACTERS.DOT = require "speech_Dot"

while the Dot here only has the 'D' capitalized, in the example template we used the name is all in caps... nowhere else but here, on this one line. should i capitalize 'Dot' completely?

hm, wait... i just checked and it's all lowercase in the example template... nm

in the modmain.lua file, it doesn't seem to ask for the animations as an asset. is this normal?

ok, went into modmain.lua, names_gold_dot.xml, AND names_Dot.xml and changed them to what the notes said. for as is the case with 2 and 3, just copying and pasting what's in the notes line-for-line does not work, i guess DST wants all that on one line and not 5 or so. i learned that the hard way earlier, when i tried to test it and the game randomly force closed itself when asked to start up a server. had a small panic attack, but 'fixed' it so i got whitescreened again instead of the game closing without warning.

after doing that, it still does not work. i'm pulling my hair out here! maybe i need to stop for the night...

ok so just the act of renaming everything to 'Dot', as the filename and in the files, has broken it...
the same as it's done to me...

i don't know what to do now, as this doesn't seem to point anywhere.

i can upload the new-and-'improved' files onto drive if anyone wants to take a look, but all i did was rename stuff. i tested the template beforehand, and it worked just fine. the only thing i can think of is i missed a file or something...

21 hours ago, patdogr said:

hm, i just thought of this.
the only 'dot'(instead of Dot) anywhere would have to be the server password i used. there's no way in DST that would have an effect, right?

damn, all i did was rename, why is this happening?!

i used the 'find and replace in files' that notepad ++ has, then i went back through them when it was done and changed the names of them(which notepad ++ does NOT do)

i'm going to update the Dot file in google drive to what's currently on my computer, then post a new link of the sample character's, which the file folder will be named 'Dot 2: the electric boogaloo' for obvious non-confusion reasons.

i'll be back in a few.

original Dot:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IFtd9x7zrh3Y34dtvHeBUMiqEU-Cqg84?usp=sharing

Dot 2, the one who was too sensitive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CfsY3TJRYeSh3ieozIV3cBIEl05BBzgR?usp=sharing

i'm gonna sit for a few and ponder this... afk

Edited by chazcat124
spelling

I got your "Dot 2" set of files working, attached below. There was an error resolving the file path to your bigportrait textures, which I fixed by renaming some of the files and file references with lower-case capitalization. I can't tell you exactly why that fixes it - I spent a few minutes tracing the function calls and then figured it would probably take a fair bit more time than I have today. But judging from a few lines in characterutil.lua, there are bits and pieces of the code that automatically concatenate character file strings based on the character name.

Somewhere along the way, the code arrives at (as presented in the game log) atlas = bigportraits/dot.xml and tries to look for the corresponding file. But it doesn't exist, because in your folder structure, that is saved as bigportraits/Dot.xml.

Generally speaking, if you're seeing something in the code or files that's consistently written in lowercase, or consistently written in uppercase, I highly, highly recommend just sticking with that convention. It might look a little odd or silly, and you might want to capitalize proper names properly, but don't do it unless you're sure nothing else needs to reference it.

I believe the Extended Character Template does have the proper formatting in place already - just make sure you're matching case when doing a find-and-replace across all files.

Dot.zip

Edited by ShinyMoogle