I couldn't find a specific thread about it so thought I would make a new one.  Is there the consideration of having an optional on/off set of disasters which can occur?  It could include basic ones like food poisoning outbreaks, oxygen contamination, a rocket explodes on take off, and the like but then you could do some really amazing ones like gravity stops working (we are on an asteroid, another big enough object near by could stuff up our gravity) or even something like you have a gravity shift, where suddenly the map rotates 90 degrees, either temporarily or permanently, and you have to adjust your entire base to cope with the changes :) 

Those are really extreme but the idea of disasters isn`t bad. Maybe something like in DS where you get seasons and something can happen on the end of one. Like a comet flying nearby resulting in an insane rain of meteors lasting 5+ cycles non-stop and including ice meteors that might melt and flood stuff below depending on design. Or maybe the botton magma layer rising drastically breaking through rocks and breaking stuff above then returning back after a while. Or an earthquake (asteroidquake) that changes the characterisitcs of each geyser so you have to analyze them again and breaks natural tiles spawning sand all over the place.

Something that makes you adapt and possibly redesign your base when it happens but doesn`t happen often and can be prepared for.

The idea is interesting but can be gamekiller for me, for example, if my base get to much screwed i just restart after too much trying, even if a button of enable disable would bother me A LOT to the point of stop playing the game, especially if this setting would be considered " vanilla " for most players. BUT if the disasters where totally possible to handle nothing ungodly destructive or irritating i would vote for yes.

Seasons seems to be a good way of thinking like a colder or hotter season, especially colder to give the space heater some use.

Agreed it's not everyone's cup of tea but hence make it an easy toggle to turn it on or off depending on peoples preference.  Would just love to add a bit of variety to the game as even on the higher "difficulty" levels I'm often sitting there with 2,000,000+ food, and more oxygen, etc that I know what to do with.

Oh yes!

Give the world some randomness and suspense so players won't get bored in late game or for each run.

On 2019/3/31 at 8:32 PM, Sasza22 said:

Or maybe the botton magma layer rising drastically breaking through rocks and breaking stuff above then returning back after a while.

This is interesting and easy to implement.

On 2019/3/31 at 2:25 PM, Chained Phoenix said:

a rocket explodes on take off

Cruel, but I like it. :?

On 2019/3/31 at 2:25 PM, Chained Phoenix said:

gravity stops working

This is interesting, but if gravity stops working suddenly like a braking, it could ruin the game.

But it'd be interesting and fun if the gravity slowly decrease and return which last for 20 cycles or so, it would be fun... But I don't know how it should be like in ONI when we lose gravity.

Archived