New Hazard - Corrosion & Rusting! (along with HUMIDITY)

Hello guys! (•ω•)

A brand new hazard to introduce!

(and to make this game more reasonable)

So without my explaination, you know how it works?

With this basic concept:

Water + Oxygen + Metal + heat (specific for every metal element) = Corrosion

So as you guys know, the most obvious metal that is vulnerable to corrosion is IRON and as well STEEL (I mean, the steel in the game is not quite, corrosion resistant).

Putting those stuff inside oxygen and wet (I’ll define it later) environment will cause damage if it is in form of building and slowly it’ll depositing metal oxides on the ground/in the storage.

Luckily you have most metals that have resistance on corrosion, such as copper and the valuable gold.

New overlay: Humidity

Spoiler

Humidity overlay shows how "wet" the area is and it is one of the important element for my corrosion idea - the key to trigger corrosion.

The "humidify range" indicates how far they can get wet.. Every output gives "humidity" 1.

One block of water/polluted water: 7

Moppable amount of water: 4

Plants: 1

Algae terrarrium: 5

Oxygen diffuser: 3

Operating hydrofan: 10

Carbon skimmer: 1

Outhouses and lavatories: 4

Sinks and wash basins: 4

Water sieve: 1

Algae distiller: 1

Steam: 5

Natural gas and petroleum generators: 2

Compost: 3

The "humidity" value will increase in incepted regions.

Items made of metals without "corrosion resistance" property will be slowly damaged in humid areas.

Comments and improvements? (•ω•)

My first reaction was "Ahh man that would suck!" but the more I think about it, it sounds pretty interesting! I don't feel like it's needed for realism since so much is unrealistic to begin with (e.g., making rockets out of steel), but it could add another fun/challenging mechanic.

Maybe there's an oil that dupes can use to help prevent or slow rust.

Maybe there's an acid wash that can wash minor rust away before it starts damaging the machine.

Biggest drawback I can see is that you'd have to plan your whole base around this mechanic. You couldn't fully close off your water tank unless you're later in the game. Making a SPOM or any other complicated machine could be a pain (although I guess a SPOM doesn't have any humidity inside necessarily). Also, I wonder if gold almagram would rust. Pure gold doesn't iirc.

The other biggest drawback is that this would introduce the first "punishment" mechanic in the game. You can be punished for your machines overheating, I suppose, but that's normally because you didn't plan ahead. But with this mechanic, at least in the early game you'd have your machines breaking down for reasons outside of your control. And it would take dupe labor to repair the machines, or at least maintain them. But then again, if the rust happened slowly enough or the "preventative oil" lasted long enough, it might not be that bad.

I think the idea could work with the right balancing.

Corrosion would mostly affect iron machines but copper can also get affected in certain cases. This would make gold and gold amalgam more valuable as those should be resistant.

As for humidity it would be nice to have it as something affecting plants (minimal humidity for bristle blossom) and dupes (debuffs when it`s too dry or getting sopping wet in high humidity areas). Certain stuff would modify the humidity (water pools, hydrofans, algae terrariums would increase it while natural gas, high and low temperatures would reduce it).

Chlorine in humid areas should increase corrosion dramatically as it becomes acidous. This might be a problem for chlorine rooms and balm lilly farms.

We would need stuff to fight rust. Maybe a new tinker task "de-rust machines". Possibly a lategame electrolitic rust preventer that would stop rusting in an area but use power to do that (things like that actually exist).

5 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Corrosion would mostly affect iron machines but copper can also get affected in certain cases. This would make gold and gold amalgam more valuable as those should be resistant.

As for humidity it would be nice to have it as something affecting plants (minimal humidity for bristle blossom) and dupes (debuffs when it`s too dry or getting sopping wet in high humidity areas). Certain stuff would modify the humidity (water pools, hydrofans, algae terrariums would increase it while natural gas, high and low temperatures would reduce it).

Chlorine in humid areas should increase corrosion dramatically as it becomes acidous. This might be a problem for chlorine rooms and balm lilly farms.

We would need stuff to fight rust. Maybe a new tinker task "de-rust machines". Possibly a lategame electrolitic rust preventer that would stop rusting in an area but use power to do that (things like that actually exist).

12 hours ago, gredalusiam said:

My first reaction was "Ahh man that would suck!" but the more I think about it, it sounds pretty interesting! I don't feel like it's needed for realism since so much is unrealistic to begin with (e.g., making rockets out of steel), but it could add another fun/challenging mechanic.

Maybe there's an oil that dupes can use to help prevent or slow rust.

Maybe there's an acid wash that can wash minor rust away before it starts damaging the machine.

Biggest drawback I can see is that you'd have to plan your whole base around this mechanic. You couldn't fully close off your water tank unless you're later in the game. Making a SPOM or any other complicated machine could be a pain (although I guess a SPOM doesn't have any humidity inside necessarily). Also, I wonder if gold almagram would rust. Pure gold doesn't iirc.

The other biggest drawback is that this would introduce the first "punishment" mechanic in the game. You can be punished for your machines overheating, I suppose, but that's normally because you didn't plan ahead. But with this mechanic, at least in the early game you'd have your machines breaking down for reasons outside of your control. And it would take dupe labor to repair the machines, or at least maintain them. But then again, if the rust happened slowly enough or the "preventative oil" lasted long enough, it might not be that bad.

I think the idea could work with the right balancing.

Thanks dudes, that makes everything better (^ω^)

1 hour ago, I_Link_I said:

Happy to see fire again.

(Though I want to say you are a bit off topic)

BTW I have do some research on stainless steel, it contains some chromium.

Percentage ratio of substances in chromium steel:

Iron 86.96%

Chromium 12.8%

Carbon 0.24%

Archived