Steam turbine automation

12 hours ago, Yunru said:

Are there any builds taking advantage of this?

There are builds that use automation, and there are builds that don't. 

• When stacking turbines, some claim that automating which turbine is on/off can help stabilize the power output. However, whether you turn the turbine off with automation, or let it stop spinning for other reasons, it stops ejecting steam either way.
  • Some argue that whether you automate it or not doesn't really matter (the total power output will be the same).
  • I currently attach an automation clock (easy manual on/off) to each steam turbine, so that I can control exactly when I want to turn the turbine on.  This allows me to quickly verify that a gas conflict is correctly setup before I start the machine (hard to see once the turbine starts).

If you want to maximize the amount of cooling you can get, with the least power generated (seems counter to any colonization game), then turn the turbine on as close to its melting point as possible. Of course, you can also just skip the automation and not connect the turbine to your power grid and let the power disappear....   

If you want to search through lots of past builds for uses of automation (with explanations of why they did or did not automate it), check the spoilers in the post below (in particular, the "Unsorted Links to Other Forum Posts - With Commentary" spoiler.

I've compiled most of the posts related to the steam turbine that have been written in the last 6+ months or so (I did leave out some that seemed like repeats of older posts). I add more to this list regularly. This gathers all the steam turbine information into one place (as the forum search function is very limited).  Archived posts can easily be accessed via this list.

Archived