Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Fancy_Fox_Pers

How do you turn caves off?

Hi, I started a dedicated server months ago but now I don't really remember how it works. It runs ok but to make sure I won't experience lag when people join it I'd like to be able to turn the caves off. How would I do that please? :) 

zzKratoszz    122

Normally you decide before you generate the world. You might be able to edit the files to change that but I'm not sure at the moment.

58 minutes ago, zzKratoszz said:

Normally you decide before you generate the world. You might be able to edit the files to change that but I'm not sure at the moment.

I'm not worried about save files getting lost, so I'm all ears. I can't find any file that says something like "enable_caves = true" at the moment. I expected to find something like that in /MyDediServer or /MyDediServer/Master, but maybe the option to turn caves off is called something less obvious so I am not sure

zzKratoszz    122

O. well go and make a new world. And instead of starting the world look at the presets. (longer days, more carrots, ect) Next to them should be the cave presets which includes turning them on.

Edit: I reread what you said. And a dedicated server is a bit harder than hosting it your self through the client. there is a wiki page on this that should help.

A trick I heard but haven't tried is to make a server on the client and then you can copy the preset from there to the dedicated server.

Is this a windows server or a Linux one?

Edit: 2 This should roughly cover the stealing from the client method.

Daniel86268    368

On a dedicated server you can just leave the caves shard/server off. How this is done depends on how you configured your startup script(s).

If you have one startup script, just remove the line that launches the cave shard. If you configured your server according to 255's guide it looks like this:

"${run_shared[@]}" -shard Caves  | sed 's/^/Caves:  /' &

If you have two launch scripts (One for the master, and one of the caves) you can just not start the caves script, and you are just running the master.

If you are not sure which line it is, you can post your launch scriupt here, and I can tell you which line it is.

16 hours ago, Daniel86268 said:

On a dedicated server you can just leave the caves shard/server off. How this is done depends on how you configured your startup script(s).

If you have one startup script, just remove the line that launches the cave shard. If you configured your server according to 255's guide it looks like this:

"${run_shared[@]}" -shard Caves  | sed 's/^/Caves:  /' &

If you have two launch scripts (One for the master, and one of the caves) you can just not start the caves script, and you are just running the master.

If you are not sure which line it is, you can post your launch scriupt here, and I can tell you which line it is.

Ehm I'm not sure, actually. I launch my server with a .bat file that looks like this:

Spoiler

c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +app_update 343050 validate +quit
cd /D "c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin"
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves

And that causes both shards to run, obviously. Do I just need to delete that last line?

start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves

Thank you for your help!

Daniel86268    368
6 hours ago, Fancy_Fox_Pers said:

And that causes both shards to run, obviously. Do I just need to delete that last line?

Correct. :encouragement: