As a GOG User I want to play Hamlet too

I'm in a really bad spot right now. I want to play Don't Starve Hamlet but it just won't come out for GOG.I thought it was just for early access in November and it should come out in December. So I've been waiting and waiting and waiting. I'm getting frustrated. I just don't understand it. Are GOG users not important enough for Klei? I feel disadvantaged just because I didn't buy the product on the biggest most dominant platform.

Is there another way to get it or are there any news on a release?

A valid point, but since Hamlet is still in early access / beta it kind of makes sense if the developers want to finalize it on the most streamlined platform with the biggest userbase. Once Hamlet gets released I assume it will show up on GOG with the regular updates (although they usually lag a bit behind those on Steam).

On 4.2.2019 at 9:11 PM, MWY said:

You can always buy it on Steam and have access to both Early Access and Updates at the go, its only a few bucks 

You're partially missing the point. Its true, I could buy it on Steam, but thats basically punishing me for buying it on GOG. Steam Users don't have to buy it on GOG to be able to play Hamlet. It's a great game, but buying the same Product twice because of some arbitrary restrictions really sends the wrong signal to publishers, at least in my opinion. It's alright if you want to buy games again for every plattform.

While I can comprehend that there would be additonal costs if Klei added Hamlet to GOGs Games in Development program, it still pains me that they show no interest in integrating the gog userbase whatsoever. I'm not a game developer, but isn't it basically the same code and resources just with a different installer? It can't be that much of an effort, can it? In the end I can't play the newest addition to a game I like, even 3 monts after the first release, just I didn't buy it the "correct" way and that sucks to be honest.

9 hours ago, Nevereverlast said:

You're partially missing the point. Its true, I could buy it on Steam, but thats basically punishing me for buying it on GOG. Steam Users don't have to buy it on GOG to be able to play Hamlet. It's a great game, but buying the same Product twice because of some arbitrary restrictions really sends the wrong signal to publishers, at least in my opinion. It's alright if you want to buy games again for every plattform.

While I can comprehend that there would be additonal costs if Klei added Hamlet to GOGs Games in Development program, it still pains me that they show no interest in integrating the gog userbase whatsoever. I'm not a game developer, but isn't it basically the same code and resources just with a different installer? It can't be that much of an effort, can it? In the end I can't play the newest addition to a game I like, even 3 monts after the first release, just I didn't buy it the "correct" way and that sucks to be honest.

I understand you completely, well its obviously because DS started as an indie game on Steam and thus generated its primary audience and community from Steam alone so that is why they are not looking forward to expand to other Publishers.
(it requires both Money and Manpower in order to do so and a lot of under the rug agreements between publishers)

And they would also have to take out Double updates on both GOG and Steam at the same time with handling any bug reports and suggestion from both Audiences which will require a LOT of time from the devs who make the game.

that is why they are limiting it on Steam but this is my own idea so it might be true.

Makes sense that they want to avoid the additional costs. On the other hand they also miss the revenue from people like me who would want to buy it on gog. I also wouldn't mind if they don't build a gog community. I dind't know that the steam community was so important in this proces. I thought the community here in the klei forums was for the feedback and cocreation. Still bad for me though. If I knew I'd have bought it on steam. I'd be glad if klei could mabye give me a discount on the steam version. Maybe only the platform costs without the development part which I already paid by buying it on gog.
In the end nothing will change, but still thanks for listening to me venting.

Archived