Show pressure as pascal (Pa) instead

Right now, atmosphere pressure is measured in kilogrammes. As far as I understand, the maximum pressure can vary depending on what substance there is (since it's the mass that's displayed). For example, natural gas geysers will stop working at 5 tonnes, while oxygen diffusers stop at 2 tonnes (again, as far as I understand).

Changing the displayed unit will also allow for better calculations. For example, you can figure out how much gas you would pump into a room to heat it to a specific temperature by using

(P1 V1) / T1  =  (P2 V2) / T2

where P = Pressure, V = Volume, and T = Temperature.

So if I keep the volume constant and want to increase the temperature from 20 °C to 40 °C and start with a pressure of 75 kPa, I'd need to do:

20°C = 293 K, 40°C = 313 K

P1 / T1 = P2 / T2
75E3 / 293 = P2 / 313
255.97... = P2 / 313
P2 = 255.97... * 313
P2 = 80 119.45...
P2 = approx. 80.1 kPa

5 hours ago, Patrick Ausel said:

Right now, atmosphere pressure is measured in kilogrammes. As far as I understand, the maximum pressure can vary depending on what substance there is (since it's the mass that's displayed). For example, natural gas geysers will stop working at 5 tonnes, while oxygen diffusers stop at 2 tonnes (again, as far as I understand).

Changing the displayed unit will also allow for better calculations. For example, you can figure out how much gas you would pump into a room to heat it to a specific temperature by using

(P1 V1) / T1  =  (P2 V2) / T2

where P = Pressure, V = Volume, and T = Temperature.

[...]

Sorry, but the ideal gas law does not apply.  Temperature is completely orthogonal to pressure/density in ONI.  You do not get pressure-based phase changes, there is no triple point, and even thermal conductivity rules change drastically between open gas, gas in pipes, gas vs. liquids vs. solids, etc.

You can math ONI, but you cannot really science it.  It's a game, and simplifying rules have been implemented for performance considerations.

5 hours ago, Lawnmower Man said:

You can math ONI, but you cannot really science it.  It's a game, and simplifying rules have been implemented for performance considerations.

Well, you can science it too, you just have to approach it with the understanding that the laws you know and the laws it operates under are different.

Archived