Should you have to craft the map to gain access to it?

Should the map have to be crafted?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should the map have to be crafted?

You see, it never made much sense to me for Wilson to just have a map from the very beginning. In my opinion, he should start out with absolutely nothing. Not having a map would add to the feel of being stranded, lost, etc.

I'm thinking the recipe for the map should consist of papyrus to write on, and some other item to write with(???). Then the map would be there just like it always used to be. It would also require the Science Machine to craft.

Pros

• You could spend more time with your base :D

• It's another craft-able item

• This would definitely add to the horrors of this game (which I'm guessing everyone loves..)

Cons

• If you were to go out gathering resources, you would actually have to remember where you put your fire.

Sorry, I can't think of anymore to write. I'll probably edit it later with more stuff. If you guys could give a couple ideas, that'd be great.

Well, let me know what you think. Thanks for reading.

No question there. But also it would be nice. In the beginning you have to rely on your memory, perhaps draw waypoints with rocks, twigs to find your way back. Then you research paper fetch a piece of coal and tadaaa. You achieve something. A map. Now I don't need my bad brain anymore to find my way.^^

You see, it never made much sense to me for Wilson to just have a map from the very beginning. In my opinion, he should start out with absolutely nothing. Not having a map would add to the feel of being stranded, lost, etc.

This is a suggestion I made a while back too. In essence the player wouldn't have the map icon, but would rather have a simple compass (North, East, South, West) that would rotate whenever the player rotated the camera view.

I'm thinking the recipe for the map should consist of papyrus to write on, and some other item to write with(???). Then the map would be there just like it always used to be. It would also require the Science Machine to craft.

I agree with [MENTION=1667]MilleniumCount[/MENTION] in that you shouldn't need the Science Machine to craft the map, however papyrus needs to be researched so there would be a limitation to how quickly the player could craft the map.

As for what would be needed to craft the map, yes, papyrus, and the other most commonly suggested resource is charcoal (to write with). Another forum member once suggested including flower petals to add colour to the map.

Pros

• You could spend more time with your base :D

• It's another craft-able item

• This would definitely add to the horrors of this game (which I'm guessing everyone loves..)

Cons

• If you were to go out gathering resources, you would actually have to remember where you put your fire.

Yup, these are all valid points. To further, it was suggested that once the map was crafted it wouldn't be an "item" stored in the player's inventory, but rather it would cause the current map icon to appear. No wasted slot, just added (or restored, depending on how you view this change) game functionality.

Why exactly?

My sense of direction in real life is pretty weak, so I tend to need a map in games more than an average player.In my first game I didn't know how to use the map and died because I lost my fire. That would continue to happen all too often if the in-game map were disabled. When I was a young lad using 8-bit computers I was happy to map out games using graph paper. Nowadays I am on old duffer and frankly life is too short to have to do this :D.That is my real life reason for disliking the idea. An in-game reason might be that the map is simply showing Wilson's memory for landmarks etc. It's not like the map is fully revealed until you explore after all. Put another way, I love the art style but you have to admit one rock looks much like another rock. From Wilson's viewpoint though, he can probably see subtle differences the player can't, therefore a map serves as an abstraction for in game detail that the art direction can't provide, but which would make the game unnecessarily frustrating for some players were it not present.Having said all that, everyone could be happy if this were implemented as an option, I.e. "Start with map: Yes / No"Hope that helps explain my negativity anyway!/\dam

My sense of direction in real life is pretty weak, so I tend to need a map in games more than an average player.In my first game I didn't know how to use the map and died because I lost my fire. That would continue to happen all too often if the in-game map were disabled. When I was a young lad using 8-bit computers I was happy to map out games using graph paper. Nowadays I am on old duffer and frankly life is too short to have to do this :D.That is my real life reason for disliking the idea. An in-game reason might be that the map is simply showing Wilson's memory for landmarks etc. It's not like the map is fully revealed until you explore after all. Put another way, I love the art style but you have to admit one rock looks much like another rock. From Wilson's viewpoint though, he can probably see subtle differences the player can't, therefore a map serves as an abstraction for in game detail that the art direction can't provide, but which would make the game unnecessarily frustrating for some players were it not present.Having said all that, everyone could be happy if this were implemented as an option, I.e. "Start with map: Yes / No"Hope that helps explain my negativity anyway!/\dam

oh wow..greatly explained sir...i agree with you..guess the map isnt really a map coz its blank at first...:kiwi:

I was just hoping to get a more stranded feeling in the game. It's what makes the game fun for me. Maybe someone can just make a mod for it and those who want the option can have it, and those who don't want it don't have to have it :)