New distribution of planetary resources

By the time you're launching rockets, you pretty much have things nailed down. There isn't a rush to meet simple demands such as water and power. Specifically coal, usefull as it is early game, there just isn't much use for it late game. I run one continuously in my oil biome just to produce CO2 for my slick little buddies down there. Past that there is refined carbon, abyssalite, and several others that are increasingly worthless materials to players at this cycle age.

I'm proposing a way to refine what is returned on each trip. We need a new module, call it a mining module, that would allow you to do this. As I'm firmly part of the pay-to-play group.

Let's say your carbon asteroid at 10k is, for simplicity, refined carbon, coal, diamond, and abyssalite all at 25% each. If you send a rocket there with this mining module you're allowed to increment or decrement, one material, one percentage point per trip. The goal of this is just basically just get rid of the materials that I'll never use again, and increase the efficiency of my trip through research. Exactly what the research tree does as you move to the right.

Example, from above. One cargo container, with this mining module, on first return would give you 250kg of each of the four materials. But you want none of that except for the diamond. Open the starmap and you have one point to apply to that planet. You increase diamond. The others all decrease by .33% in this case. Your next trip would return 260kg of diamond, and around 246kg of the other three.

This would make small returns in the beginning, give you a goal to get reach, and really take a long time stack a planet. Especially since there are so many choices now give the player the choice to have diamond on one and coal on another.

So you are basically leveling up an asteroid. Maybe instead of a mining module it should be a base building module. Each trip would upgrade the base you got there but would cost you some resources that you`d put inside the module.

Another way to do this would be to have rocket destination with an increased amount of a randomly selected material.

Currently, if you have 3 carbon asteroïd, except for the rare materials, each one is quite the same.

If one of those has a 15% increased amount of diamond, the other one 15% more refined carbon, etc., it would be more interresting to go to a farther destination, instead of just launching multiple rockets on the first carbon asteroïd in the list. :( 

Currently, except terrestrial planets (and maybe gaseous ones), there's no real interest in launching rocket to a distant asteroïd if we have a closest one of that type. :( 

10 hours ago, Gwido said:

Currently, except terrestrial planets (and maybe gaseous ones), there's no real interest in launching rocket to a distant asteroïd if we have a closest one of that type. :( 

I had some ideas to balance the destinations:

Archived