Making small devices not need a small amount of electricity & not produce a little heat

This is something that has irked me for a little while, it is about those devices that need such an insignificant amount of electricity, or those who produce just a little amount of warmth for no reason.

Examples of these are:

Gas Shutoff

Liquid Shutoff

Duplicant Checkpoint

Conveyor Loader

- These structures complicate things needlessly a little extra, they should be like most automation and have no overheat temp, produce no heat(which makes putting them in Space-tiles really annoying to handle due to heat accumulation of the building)  and no 10W of power required because frankly, it doesn't matter.

There is already a hundred things happening at once, having these things happen do not help.

---

While we're at it, Bridges still for some reason have Overheat Temperature, now when we no longer have Abyssilite as a construction material, these should not have an overheat temperature, just like any pipe. It just seems so meaningless

Of course they complicate things. There isn't anything as a free lunch. Let's look at these.

1. The shutoffs need power to manipulate whatever type of valve body they use to open and close. 10w isn't anything. It happens so fast too, and for such a short time that it's insignificant. I don't ever account for this load when I run my conductive wires.
  2. The checkpoint, again has to monitor for something. Not just change states, but keep track of anytime someone has passed through it.
  3. The loader has to package the material into 20kg loads and push it down the rail. That seems fair. The part about that is that the sweeper uses 120w whether it's sweeping 1,000kg or 20kg. The sweeper moves faster than the loader, so I plan for this load.

What you missed in this rant is asking why the smart storage loader requires power, and generates heat. It would fit your criteria above, and frankly this is closer to an atmo sensor that is just changing states with a certain mass. The slider on the regular storage doesn't need power, and other automation works without power. This would be the first candidate I would nominate to be revisited.

Archived