changing sound volumes

The camera angle that my mod uses is far away from the player and can make some sounds too quiet, since most sounds get softer as you get further away.

But all sounds actually have a different min/max 3D Distance value, which is something I noticed in the FMOD Designer mod tools when opening some of the game's sound file projects. Not an actual "volume," but a distance in which the sound is still audible from. The field name in fmod is "3D Max Distance."

Some of the game's sounds have abnormally short range, and I was wondering if there is a way to alter that "3D Max Distance" value, either through code referencing the sound emitter or files altering the sound itself.

Or am I just going to have to get re-recordings of those sounds and throw them in FMOD Designer and  re-compile them with the values I want?

I am also interested if there is a solution to modifying soundemitter properties via code.

A dump of soundemitter functions did get me some interesting functions that I don't know what they do.

SetMute
PlaySoundWithParams -- How do we make use of this?
SetParameter --what is a parameter for fmod sounds?
GetEntity
PlayingSound
KillAllSounds
PlaySound
SetVolume
OverideVolumeMultiplier --is used by shadow monsters to make them silent to non insane players. I managed to use it for making cloaking also be silent in pvp
KillSound

Hopefully somebody with more knowledge could figure this out.

On 12/21/2018 at 5:27 PM, IronHunter said:

PlaySoundWithParams -- How do we make use of this?
SetParameter --what is a parameter for fmod sounds?

Hopefully somebody with more knowledge could figure this out.

Parameters in FMod control certain aspects of the sound bank being played.  It could control the volume of an instrument, adjust the playback rate, etc.  But they are defined in the sound bank itself so these params are special to the bank itself.

For example, the insanity audio has a param called 'sanity' which adjusts how loud it is to the player.

2 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

Parameters in FMod control certain aspects of the sound bank being played.  It could control the volume of an instrument, adjust the playback rate, etc.  But they are defined in the sound bank itself so these params are special to the bank itself.

For example, the insanity audio has a param called 'sanity' which adjusts how loud it is to the player.

Do you know of anyway to pull this information from existing soundbanks?

Because this is really useful information.

Edit:

Also how do I create my own parameters for use in game for my custom sounds?

Edit 2:

Is this only really useful for music? As I can't seem to find the parameter stuff outside the music tab.

Edited by IronHunter
See Edits

7 hours ago, IronHunter said:

Do you know of anyway to pull this information from existing soundbanks?

Because this is really useful information.

Edit:

Also how do I create my own parameters for use in game for my custom sounds?

Edit 2:

Is this only really useful for music? As I can't seem to find the parameter stuff outside the music tab.

Last time I messed with it I could see the parameters when I used an fmod decompiler to source thing so that fmod studio could open it up.  Not efficient nor quick in this method.

I'm not sure how to create those parameters, it's an fmod thing.  I'm just going off of memory when I poked at it back a couple years ago.

You can find more documentation on their website: https://www.fmod.com/docs/studio/glossary.html#parameter

3 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

Last time I messed with it I could see the parameters when I used an fmod decompiler to source thing so that fmod studio could open it up.  Not efficient nor quick in this method.

I'm not sure how to create those parameters, it's an fmod thing.  I'm just going off of memory when I poked at it back a couple years ago.

You can find more documentation on their website: https://www.fmod.com/docs/studio/glossary.html#parameter

Thank you, I'll take a look. You wouldn't happen to know the name of the decompiler by any chance? All I have and use is fsbextractor.