Can I have a little help?

I'm really new to Don't Starve, and even newer to this website, so please consider my stupidity for now ;)Don't Starve has been REALLY fun, with my experience so far; there's a ton of stuff to discover. I just never know where I'm going or what to do next..My highest day is the middle of day 5, because I had a lot of trouble finding something to eat. The things that looked like they held a lot of food killed me instantly, and everything else that was smaller just ran away. I survived on berries, carrots, petals, seeds, etc., but it didn't help completely replenish my food. I do know to cook food, and to not eat it spoiled, stuff like that. But I'm still dying D:The traps I built never got anything, is there a trick to it? Am I supposed to be placing it somewhere specific? I honestly do not know. I would really appreciate any form of help, and I thank you for taking time out of your day to read this. Thanks.-Puny

Looks like you're having trouble surviving!Try following these steps:1) Cook food when it is growing stale. It will increase its refreshness.2) Those small animals scurry away into their hole. Try attacking them in the direction they are running away.3) Make the Science Machine! You have to gather resources for one; building them is essential.3A) After building the Science Machine, you can craft weapons and other things that can help you survive.3B) You can build a fridge to slow the spoilage, but you have to build an advance version of the science machine; the Alchemy Engine.4) Put those traps near rabbit holes. Then you'll get some rabbits to eat!PS. Learn from your mistakes. It'll help you a lot.

Welcome to the forums!

You may find some of the 'newbie' threads contained in the megathread to be helpful generally.

My advice for your situation:

- Having trouble not starving? Concentrate on gathering meat and vegetables.

-- You can get lots of morsels (from rabbits) by following Snob's advice.

-- The easiest way to get big chunks of meat is from pigs - chase one away from its friends, then chop, chop, chop! You can also get meat from tallbirds provided you don't have more than 1 chasing you at once; they hit VERY hard so be sure to spam spacebar when attacking them so they get stun-locked, and also never try to kill one when you are below 50 health.

- Having trouble not dying? Build and wear a log suit and you will take much less damage from hits.

-- Note that this will not reduce damage taken from eating 'bad' foods like durian and monster meat. Pretty much never eat monster meat unless you are desperate, because it will lower your sanity a LOT.

1. Put the traps near where bunnies congregate during the day, and bait them with fresh carrots or berries (drag it onto the trap from your inventory).2. Make a log suit and spear using the Science Machine (having first gotten gold by using a mining pick on enough boulders) then attack a one of the spider colonies (the white gooey things) and kill all the spiders. Finish destroying the colony and you'll get spider web! This can be used to make Bird Traps (also from the science machine) which can then be baited with seeds. More of a hassle but you can more reliably catch things since you can put it anywhere. Plus seeds for bird meet is a better trade than carrots for rabbit meet. 3. Kill pigs for meet and cook it on a fire. Spear and Log Suit make it safer but you can easily take on one pig just using an axe or mining pick. 4. Collect manure from Beefalo and make farm plots (make the upgraded farm plot if you have a science machine). Plant seeds by dragging them onto the plot. Fertilize the new plant by dragging the manure onto it. Every time you fertilize it will get bigger and soon enough will produce some food. You get corn and carrots a lot, which aren't that special, but you'll also get more fillings things like pumpkins, pomegranates, and dragonfruit frequently enough. And it takes forever without fertilizer! So make sure to put your farms near the Beefalo (don't kill them or they can't poop, obviously.). Once you got a few farms you can sit tight for a while, without having to stray to far and risk getting killed by something. Make sure to have a spear and log suit handy because werewolves always attack on the full moon. Try planting pinecones near the farms too (drag 'em onto the ground and right click) so that you can have wood on hand at all times.

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I played the game again, I'm now on Day 7 with a good source of food :DBy the way, insanity is that brain thing next to your food and health, right? If I'm right, I have a question. How do you get it to go back up to 100?

Edited by PunyMan9

By the way, insanity is that brain thing next to your food and health, right? If I'm right, I have a question. How do you get it to go back up to 100?

Yes, the insanity meter is located high above the hunger and health meter.To increase your sanity, you can either:1) Pick flowers2) Eat cooked meat3) Sleep using a Straw RollPicking multiple flowers can raise your sanity. Sleeping also helps increase sanity, but the hunger halves in the process.Stay near the campfire in night; it reduces the lowering of sanity.

So that explains today's weirdness then. I tried to trap rabbits with berries but they ate them and the trap didn't work. I dug up a rabbit hole and one of them ran straight into a trap which then trapped the rabbit. :-/

Welcome to Don't Starve.

My highest day is the middle of day 5, because I had a lot of trouble finding something to eat.

You should be able to survive off berries, carrots, seeds, and morsels just fine at that point. The easiest way to get morsels is to melee attack rabbits. The way you do it is you find a rabbit that's far enough away from it's hole, and you position yourself in such a way as to force the rabbit to have to run through you in order to get to it's hole, your character should attack and kill the rabbit granting you a morsel.

The things that looked like they held a lot of food killed me instantly

Without a logsuit equipped, pretty much anything and everything is extremely dangerous in a fight. Granted, if you know what you're doing, very few things can actually hit you unless you're playing sloppy, swarmed, and/or completely blindsided, but nevertheless, a logsuit is great to absorb most of the damage of incoming attacks. You need to research it in the combat tab after you've made a science machine.

I do know to cook food, and to not eat it spoiled, stuff like that. But I'm still dying D:

An easy crock pot recipe is the kabobs. One piece of monster meat and 3 sticks will do the trick, but one must have built a crockpot in order to make the food, but the bonus is it makes monster meat useful for consumption.If you learn how to kite, that is, attack, walk out of range during a monster's swing time, and then run back in to attack again, you could also get meat and pigskin from attacking secluded pigs and cooked meat can definitely help a lower hunger gauge.

The traps I built never got anything, is there a trick to it? Am I supposed to be placing it somewhere specific?

I never built the rabbit traps as I never found it useful. I could easily kill rabbits by doing that technique I mentioned above. However bird traps I've found useful, especially around my main camp. I'll just pay attention about where birds land on their own accord and then I'll just set a bird trap down where they were when I scared them off. Eventually a bird lands right in it. You can vastly expediate the process by baiting the traps with seeds, but birds aren't a great source of food anyway. Sometimes they drop morsels, other times they drop feathers, but if you were inclined to try it, you'll need spider's silk.Best bet is to pick up some monster meat or sacrifice a morsel or 2 and give both pieces of meat to 2 different pigs. Now you should have pig followers. Go find yourself a spider's den and, from a distance, click "attack" and before your character even comes close to the den, stop. Your pigs will rush in and do your dirty work for you. Great way to get additional monster meat and silk if you're quick with picking up the drops. Also, be weary of the gold-striped looking spiders, do make sure your pig friends are firmly locked onto those before attacking them.