• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

5 Screenshots

About This File

Are you not sure what to do? Are you bored? Are you in need of great decision-making?

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present you... the Quest Giver! This handy machine analyzes your situation at the pull of a lever, and tells you exactly what to do! Occasionally, these tasks yield great bounty! It works in any enviroment: underwater, in vacuum, on fire, filled with malicious aura, truly anything*! It can be used indefinitely, and that without fee or fuel! Get your Quest Giver today!

*fire and malicious aura not confirmed

The Quest Giver comes with a free copy of "dummymod", which explains how to add quests using the makeshift API. Yes you heard right: a mod that allows mod support!

~#* This mod is Abanadanodened! If you can make it awesome, do so and give credit! *#~

What's New in Version 1.1   See changelog

Released

• Added two que.. advices!
  • I called them advice in preparation for the next update!
  • Fixed wrong structure preview
  • Fixed missing crafting icon
  • Fixed too big crafting icon

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Thanks again @Mobbstar, you repaid yourself :grin:

Uh... Oh, I ... see... uh... how I helped you out... uh... No problem!

• Like 1

Oh wow this has potential. Hopefully this mod gets a lot of additions and finetuning as in "the later you are into the game the harder the quest will get" and such.

Oh wow this has potential. Hopefully this mod gets a lot of additions and finetuning as in "the later you are into the game the harder the quest will get" and such.

The quests depend (or will depend) entirely on the current status of you and the world around you.

I may add some kind of reward system. But if I do, it will we uncompromissing and dire. And probably without API support. Unlike the actual quests, for which I am making an API right now! =D

So, i have tried it with RoG enabled, here are the results:

the quest giver works really well, it does not crash and gives quests as intended. But, i have found some bugs: first, when i still haven't crafted the quest giver, the portrait in the science tab shows me a random item that changes every time that i reload the world (screenshot aviable). Second, when i am going to place the quest giver down, his figure shows a science machine instead of the quest giver (screenshot aviable). Last, when i have crafted the quest giver at least once, his portrait becomes way too big, and goes out of its border and cover the portrait of the upstanding ice flingomatic (screenshot aviable).

Thoose little bugs aside, i really like this mod :)

So, i have tried it with RoG enabled, here are the results:

the quest giver works really well, it does not crash and gives quests as intended. But, i have found some bugs: first, when i still haven't crafted the quest giver, the portrait in the science tab shows me a random item that changes every time that i reload the world (screenshot aviable). Second, when i am going to place the quest giver down, his figure shows a science machine instead of the quest giver (screenshot aviable). Last, when i have crafted the quest giver at least once, his portrait becomes way too big, and goes out of its border and cover the portrait of the upstanding ice flingomatic (screenshot aviable).

Thoose little bugs aside, i really like this mod :-)

Thanks for the input! I fixed the structure preview, and I think I know how to fix the too big crafting portrait (not gonna work past midnight though). I am going to check if the random portrait happens in vanilla too, but tomorrow. I'll upload the fixed version together with a few more quests. Again, thanks for giving feedback! :highly_amused:

Thanks for the input! I fixed the structure preview, and I think I know how to fix the too big crafting portrait (not gonna work past midnight though). I am going to check if the random portrait happens in vanilla too, but tomorrow. I'll upload the fixed version together with a few more quests. Again, thanks for giving feedback! :highly_amused:

Don't worry i like to give some help to modmakers because i know how hard is working with mods (noob modmaker here), so i am happy that my feedback was useful. I don't know what time it is in your country simply because i do not know where you live hahaha ^^. There's no need to be in hurry to fix if noone aside me matters about theese bugs :)

i really hope to see that this thing will be actually quests with rewards. that would be neat.

i really hope to see that this thing will be actually quests with rewards. that would be neat.

Three are in already, more when I solve at least one of the current two issues! They are all of a different type: "make" requires you to increase the number of things in the world, "give" takes items from you, "modi" runs a test function;

Couple of issues I ran into:

1) It's not obvious if a quest is completed. I got a quest: "Give monster meat to the hounds". So I went and found some hounds, and dropped monster meat, which they ate (You can't give it to them directly). Nothing special happened, so I went back to the machine, pulled the lever, and it gave me a new quest. No new loot lying at the machine, so I guess no reward for the quest, or it was just one that was not possible to complete. (These were hounds from hound mounds, btw, not Hound-wave ones).

2) My glommer didn't drop any gloop for the whole 16 day full moon cycle. This mod was the only new mod I put in for that game, so not sure if it's a side effect of the mod.

Couple of issues I ran into:

1) I think the hound feeding is just a quote (advice), and not an actual quest. In the current version, there is only three quests, with a total 50-%-chance of being given. I am expanding the list, but won't upload another version until some bugs are fixed. I am also trying to allow turning advice off.

2) I have absolutely no clue what that is, since I do not own RoG myself. I am not overriding any game functions, as far as I know. Could it be another mod? Since I do not have RoG, I cannot check for any possible interaction between my mod and glommers files.

Thanks for the reply.

I thought the quest/reward thing was working.

I'll hunt around for the glommer thing.

I look forward to seeing the next version.

I really love the latest version. I like the reward system a lot, only problem i have here is the quests might be a little bit unclear sometimes. For example "go on gnome hunt" what gnomes? Also directional quests are kind of hard since the player don't know where north is when he rotated the camera.

Edit: Just a heads up, it works with RoG. Only problem is, sometimes the quests are newly generated even tho one is already active. It would be neat to make it so that left click checks the current quest and right click creates a new quest and the quest reroll only works once a day. Or maybe make a craftable quest ticket for 1 gold and 1 papyrus. Giving that to the giver creates a new quest.

I really love the latest version. I like the reward system a lot, only problem i have here is the quests might be a little bit unclear sometimes. For example "go on gnome hunt" what gnomes? Also directional quests are kind of hard since the player don't know where north is when he rotated the camera.

Edit: Just a heads up, it works with RoG. Only problem is, sometimes the quests are newly generated even tho one is already active. It would be neat to make it so that left click checks the current quest and right click creates a new quest and the quest reroll only works once a day. Or maybe make a craftable quest ticket for 1 gold and 1 papyrus. Giving that to the giver creates a new quest.

Thanks for the feedback frisch.

For the case you missed it: there are "advice" (as in, one-off task, no rewards, no "must"), and actual quests (what you are talking about). If your Quest Giver ever gets stuck with a quest, just turn him off and on as described in the forum thread.

Oh, look at my fancy compass! Who knew it was in the actual base game?

wow loving this mod and wish i could get it to work idk why but its crashing on start i would really apperciate some help. thanks you for taking your time to make this mod and thanks for taking the time to read this

Guys, Just as a reminder: I can't magically tell why your Quest Giver isn't working without further information. Ideally, you want to send me a log.txt using the private message system, or at least post it here or on the forum topic.

Guys, Just as a reminder: I can't magically tell why your Quest Giver isn't working without further information. Ideally, you want to send me a log.txt using the private message system, or at least post it here or on the forum topic.

ok i can copy paste log do you need the whole log or a specific part???