• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

1 Screenshot

About This File

Fixes the memory spike which happens when large mods are enabled, which happens due to all mod assets being loaded to RAM regardless of them being used or not.

Most notably, this fixes the crash that may happen when large mods are enabled, due to the total RAM usage exceeding the available RAM (this is most notable in the Windows version of Don't Starve, since it is limited to using at most 2GB of RAM). This crash may present itself with one of the following errors (printed to log.txt):

Error processing render buffer command GenerateMap

or

ERROR: HWTexture::DeserializeTexture failed on MinimapBG. glGetError returned 0x505

or

out of memory

but may also happen silently, with the game simply crashing with no meaningful information printed to log.txt.

As a side effect, this fix also prevents the large slowdown in the game's startup time caused by having large mods enabled.

What's New in Version 0.6   See changelog

Released

• Fixed an issue where mod recipe placers might be invisible.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Thanks for your reply, Simplex! I had tried manually adding it to DST as-is, but it created an error right off the bat at the main menu saying Recipes isn't a global (around line 83 where you assert g.recipes). All good anyway, the errors you described in your OP (which I had exactly) I actually corrected on my end by running the 4GB memory patcher on the DST executable so it can use above 2GB RAM- hopefully they will do that for release and everyone can at least not crash due to heaps of mods ;)

Thanks for your reply, Simplex! I had tried manually adding it to DST as-is, but it created an error right off the bat at the main menu saying Recipes isn't a global (around line 83 where you assert g.recipes). All good anyway, the errors you described in your OP (which I had exactly) I actually corrected on my end by running the 4GB memory patcher on the DST executable so it can use above 2GB RAM- hopefully they will do that for release and everyone can at least not crash due to heaps of mods ;)

Oh, right, there's that incompatibility. It's a light incompatibility, since all it'd take would be to use "AllRecipes" instead of "Recipes" for the DST case. However, as I mentioned, I can't really endorse usage of this mod due to the pending issues.

Would it be possible if my collaborators and I took this mod, and fixed it up for DST and then released it in the workshop on steam? You will of course get full credit and a link to this page since this is where it originally came from.

We are simply trying to help the entire community here, while also making our own mods as well.

Would it be possible if my collaborators and I took this mod, and fixed it up for DST and then released it in the workshop on steam? You will of course get full credit and a link to this page since this is where it originally came from.

We are simply trying to help the entire community here, while also making our own mods as well.

But, if I remember correctly, this mod had issues with displaying sprites in the game correctly... It makes them invisible after switching from surface to caves, etc. There is some more informations in previous comments I think...

PS.: As @simplex stated above two comments earlier: "I can't really endorse usage of this mod due to the pending issues."

@rincevvind Maybe Keli updated something but i have seen the game using over 3gb of ram without crashing so i think it is safe to assume its LAA right out of the box

Buy what i really want to see implemented is aggressive Garbage Collection during world generation and loading which is where i most frequently encounter fatal memory spikes