• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

Equivalent Exchange v2 (SW Compatible) v2.9.5

1 Screenshot

About This File

Equivalent Exchange v2

(SW Compatible)

Redesigned version of the original Equivalent Exchange mod. This mod allows you to convert different items into each other.

Basics:

Every item in game has an EMC value, a hidden "matter" energy, which can be converted to other items using an Alchemy and Exchanging Chests.

Changed Science Machine:

You can "give" items to a Science Machine to see, how much EMC is the item worth. Doing that will not consume the item. The machine outputs two values (248/300 EMC for ex.) - the first one is the EMC value you could get if you exchanged that stack of items right now. This value is affected by stack size, durability, freshness, internal EMC buffer etc. The second value is the actual EMC value of the item, not taking stack size or durability, etc. into account.

Changed Alchemy Engine:

You can give items to an Alchemy Engine, and they will be converted into EMC energy items (Golden nuggets, Dark Matter, etc.)

Alchemical Chest:

Because putting single items into the Alchemy Engine gets old and tedious pretty quick, there is an Alchemical Chest, which converts items placed in its inventory into Golden Nuggets.

Exchanging Chest:

An upgraded version of Alchemical Chest, the Exchanging Chest is able to convert the items in it's inventory into target item. Target item must be placed in the upper, target slot and enough EMC energy in form of other items needs to be provided.

Alchemical Researcher:

Spoiler

Alchemical Researcher will create blueprints of given items. Put the item you want the blueprint of in the upper slot, put 3 golden nuggets in the bottom (cost) slot, close the inventory and wait for the blueprint !

You can get a random blueprint when researching Knowledge Fragments - you can find more info under the 'Knowledge Fragment' spoiler.

Upgrading Chests:

Spoiler

You can upgrade Alchemical and Exchanging Chests by putting one Gold/Dark Nugget in each slot of the chest, and reopening it. Gold/Dark Nuggets will be consumed in the process...

Alchemy Chest is upgradeable with Gold Nuggets.

Exchanging Chest is upgradeable with Dark Nuggets.

After upgrading, chests will be exchanging items faster and, instead of dropping gold/items on the ground, they will store them directly in its own inventory.

Philosopher's Stone:

Spoiler

Philosopher's Stone can exchange EMC energy on-the-go. It also can be used as EMC energy storage unit. Simply place EMC energy storage item (such as Golden Nugget, Dark Matter, etc.) in it, close it and energy will be exchanged, sorted and stored. It can also exchange non-EMC energy storage item (any other item), but this process is MUCH slower than the first one. It's mainly used as a EMC storage for travel. Also, caring Philosopher's Stone in inventory causes killed creatures to drop "Energy Orbs". They have 50% chance of doing this.

Knowledge Fragment:

Spoiler

Knowledge Fragment, is an item, that can drop from almost any creature (including rabbits and birds). You can put it in Alchemical Researcher, and get a random blueprint out of it. There is a 75% chance, that it will be an EE blueprint. This allows you to for ex. make silk in spider-less worlds. If you research all EE recipes, you can use it to get any other blueprint in game. Like all other items, it contains some EMC energy inside, but it cannot be exchanged - killing creatures is the only way to get it.

Keep in mind, that this is a pretty rare item - creatures like rabbits and birds have a 0.1% (0.001 or 1/1000) chance of dropping it, so it beats 'Krampus Sack' (which has 1% (0.01 or 1/100) chance of dropping from Krampus). Chances of dropping Knowledge Fragment increases with creature difficulty.

Lightning Sword:

Spoiler

A very powerful (and expensive) sword, that can catch lightnings from the sky:

- Infinite durability

- Discharged does 50 damage

- Charged - based on percentage usage - up to 150 damage

- Super Charged - 150 damage, and ability to kill ANY creature with single lightning burst

Energy Bearing Item Tiers:

- Energy Orb - 1/40 Golden Nugget

- Golden Nugget

- Dark Matter - 20 Golden Nuggets

- Red Matter - 20 Dark Matters

- Miniature Black Hole - 20 Red Matters

Mod is crashing/not working, what I should do ?

Spoiler

If EE is crashing/not working/automatically disables itself etc., try these steps:

- Check if your mod is up to date - the issue you are experiencing may be fixed in latest update

- You can have an older version of the game - try changing the "api_version" value to 5 or 4 and trying again. "api_version" value can be found in 'modinfo.lua' file inside 'EE' folder. You can open that file with any text editor (ex. notepad)

- If you do the steps above and it's still not working/crashes etc., leave a comment below. It will be appreciated to post your log.txt and/or screen from crash along with, it really helps resolving the problem.

Compatibilities:

Spoiler

- Mod is compatible with older versions of the game

- Mod is compatible with RoG DLC

- versions 2.9.0+ should be compatible with SW DLC, if it's not, just let me know

- Mod is compatible with other mods (in most cases)

- Mod supports custom items (mod items) EMC values

Changing EMC values:

Spoiler

If you find that EMC values are to high/low, you can change EMC values modifier in "EE/tuning.lua"

If you have mod that has items that don't have EMC values, let me know and I will add it to the list :D

Mod is fully compatible with "RoG" and "SW" DLC !

Any bug report will be appreciated, if you find any, please leave a comment below !

What's New in Version v2.9.5   See changelog

Released

• v2.9.5:
  • - fixed the Alchemical Researcher not giving blueprints sometimes
  • - fixed an issue with items having 0 EMC value not getting removed/processed correctly
  • - fixed many other non-significant errors I found in my own 3 year old code
  • - all mod items now float on water, this prevents you from losing very valuable materials (animation is broken/missing right now, I need someone who knows how to add 'on-water' animation)
  • - added Red Matter Multitool - red matter axe, pickaxe and shovel in one tool, craftable under EE Misc tab
  • - added Knowledge Fragment drop chances to all SW DLC mobs and bosses
  • - added missing EMC values for SW DLC items
  • - more balancing of EMC values (again)
  • - I'm making this a new, SW DLC stable release, thus removing v2.8.6 from download
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Yeah, I was thinking about adding something to check EMC value of items. That functionality was original in Science Machine, giving it an item resulting in information that item has EMC value or not, but I removed that functionality, because now every item in game has EMC value, so it was pointless... I can return that, so it will be displaying actual EMc value instead of only the "exist information".

I also have an idea of adding a text widget to the Exchanging Chest, to see how much EMC is left inside it... Yeah, I will try to code this a little and post if I manage to get something useful...

Maybe consider posting the values on here. Or have an option in game to see whats worth what. Perhaps a item that tells the value.

I can post values here... But, I've already tried something out... Here are a screenshots:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ynikiifdcb6ti93/eeemccheck.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbeqxu4i13b1932/eeemccheck2.png

Something like that ? Maybe different text, like: "(very) small/high amount of EMC energy" ? That third line isn't necessary ?

EDIT: Also, I've tried adding a text widget to the Exchanging Chest... It's impossible without breaking compatibility with some mods, for ex. "Trading System" or "Smarter Crock Pot"... Theoretically I CAN make it to be compatible with that mods AFTER my modifications but... Let's just stay with "non-compatibility-breaking" design...

Ok, so I will be uploading a v2.8 of the EEv2 mod soon, that brings the functionality of looking into item EMC value (screens are in comment above)... I've also fixed some issues with exchanging items in Exchanging Chest and calculating EMC values for recipes... I've also updated custom EMC mod list, because new versions of U&A appeared... Anything related to the new EMC check system ?

I've rearranged some stuff, and now my mod will be generating an 'EElog.txt' file inside mod root folder... It will be containing all "EMC-values-adding-stuff", and I will be needing it to help resolve EMC related problems... It also contains a list of EMC values added to all items, so you can look into that for some clues...

EDIT: I've just fixed that crash with 'ShouldHintForRecipe' (sorry !)... Have fun ;)

Thanks for this mod, it's very useful.

The EElog.txt  file tells me that it can't find an EMC value for the "deadspider" item, which is a loot drop in Mr. Hasting's "Steam & Punk" mod (http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/795-steam-punk/)

Can't see how to attach the EElog.txt file to this post, but the "deadspider" is very similar to a piece of monster meat (maybe a bit less valuable EMC-wise).

Thx.

Thanks for this mod, it's very useful.

The EElog.txt  file tells me that it can't find an EMC value for the "deadspider" item, which is a loot drop in Mr. Hasting's "Steam & Punk" mod (http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/795-steam-punk/)

Can't see how to attach the EElog.txt file to this post, but the "deadspider" is very similar to a piece of monster meat (maybe a bit less valuable EMC-wise).

Thx.

Thanks for name of that missing mod, I will look at it and update EMC mod values ;-)

You can paste your EElog.txt on pastebin and post link to it. It will be really helpful :-)

Brilliant! Thanks for the quick response :-)

ETA: Just tested, working fine. Many thanks

No problem :-) If you know more mods, that I can add to the 'EMC mod support', let me know ;-)

Will do.

One question on the exchanging chest: Do I have to have at least one of the item in order to create more?

I often change the world gen settings, and if, for example, I had a world with no spiders, could I use the exchanger to make silk, even though I didn't have any?

Will do.

One question on the exchanging chest: Do I have to have at least one of the item in order to create more?

I often change the world gen settings, and if, for example, I had a world with no spiders, could I use the exchanger to make silk, even though I didn't have any?

Unfortunately, no... You have to have at least ONE item, in order to make a blueprint  or exchange it in Exchanging Chest...

I've just now came up with the idea of "universal item", that can be placed in Alchemical Researcher, in order to make a random blueprint... It will not be hard to implement, BUT, I have no idea, which point I will choose:

1. It will be craftable and exchangeable ? What will be the recipe for it ? It will be hard to make (rare materials) or expensive (EMC vise) recipe ?

2. It will be obtainable and non-exchangeable ? Like, a rare drop from a creature ? Will it be a EE-related creature ? It will be global drop from all creatures ? Maybe an additional drop from gigants (DLC) / Deerclops (vanilla) ?

What's your opinion ?

PS.: While I was writing this, I've also came up with the idea of making the "Energy Orb" a global loot from every mob in the game ;) So, in next update, creatures will be dropping a small amount of EMC (like an EXP) :grin:

I like the idea of the Universal item. Pop it in and the machine spits out a random blueprint. Very handy for adventure mode - get lots of prototyping done in one of the easy worlds to make life easier later on.

Option 2 sounds better, otherwise you can just farm your twig and grass plantations to get every item in the game. Even after a couple hundred days, It's nice to have an incentive to get off your backside and look for stuff in the world.

Maybe have it as an uncommon drop from giants, or the Ancient Guardian in the Ruins. I don't think it should drop from regular creatures, maybe things like treeguards and spider queens as well.

--

My query was so I could get basic raw materials that might not be available due to world gen options (for example in a treeless world, I could trade in stuff to get logs), rather than the crafted items.

Although, as world gen options don't apply to the caves, I think  the only basic material that might be completely unobtainable is ice - as long as I can get ONE of something from the caves or ruins, I'm golden.

Ok, so, definitely it will be a (very) rare drop... I was thinking about making it a global loot (so every mob in the game will have a chance of dropping it), and setting a drop chance to 1%... There is also an option to add that global loot only to certain creatures (so, for ex. I can add it to the giants, ancient guardian and walrus tusk, and set a chance to 10-20-25-50%)...

EDIT: Or maybe like this: Everything but (list) in the world can drop loot (1%)

List of excluded creatures: spider , spider warrior, cave spiders, pigman, bunnyman, rabbits, birds, (every other common creature), etc...

I would definitely have a pre-defined list of creatures whose loot table it gets added to.

If you use a list of excluded creatures, you will be making a rod for your own back, as every mod that introduces some small or common mob will have it dropping. For example Steam & Punk and Emeralds both have little mobs that are either harmless or weak.

Maybe swing both ways - a silly low %age chance from every creature (0.05% maybe), and a higher chance (10%/20%/whatever%) from the "Big Boys", which is far more manageable list to maintain.

A creative method (which may not be at all plausible, as I don't know lua) is to scale the drop chance dynamically based on the HP of the creature, say 0.005% per HP, so a creature with 100HP has a 0.5% chance to drop it, a 2700 HP giant has a 13.5% chance. Don't know if you can interrogate objects on-the-fly like that.

I CAN make it scallable to health... BUT... Let's just stick with the old pre-assigned chances... So, small creatures will have like 0.1% to 0.5% chance, more tough creatures - 0.5% to 1%, and gigants - 10%... It will be tricky to code that small chances, because math.random smallest return value is 0.01 (1%), but I will figure something out...

Hey @Catweaselcrow, I have a small question for you...

I've added new item to the EEv2, as promised - "Knowledge Fragment"... It WILL be dropping from all non-common creatures, etc. (this part is not done yet)...

I've already done an item and it's implementation in Alchemical Researcher - You can throw it in there, and it will generate a random blueprint for you ;-) The mechanics are:

1. There is X% chance, that it will be an EE blueprint, otherwise it will be random (from any tab) blueprint;

2. If it chooses EE blueprint, there is 50% chance that it will be a blueprint from DM tab, otherwise it will be from gold tab;

3. If you research all EE recipes, it will be only a random (from any tab) blueprint;

So, the question is - How much I should put instead of X (see 1. above) ? Definitely something above 50%, right ?

DM tab or gold tab? Not sure I understand, I only have one new crafting tab (the DM icon)...

but yeah 50% - 75% for an EE-specific BP sounds fair. A fair few of them aren't that useful early on, even with the Philosophers Stone, as it takes a lot of energy to get to the higher tiers of storage device (Miniature Black Hole. for example), even if you're running about like the Borg, assimilating everything.

The game already can throw you a curveball with blueprints....like anything from the ancient tab (absolutely no benefit as you can't craft away from the Pseudoscience station, even after prototyping).

I'm guessing any function to pick a random blueprint automatically excludes any item you have already prototyped?

---

Was pleasantly surprised yesterday to have a Red Matter blueprint drop from tumbleweed :) Didn't realise the game detected mod-specific blueprints like that to add to loot tables (unless this was something you coded for tumbleweeds).

DM tab or gold tab? Not sure I understand, I only have one new crafting tab (the DM icon)...

A Gold Nugget tab appears when you research something from that tab - try putting grass, twigs, reeds, rocks, etc. into Alchemical Researcher, and after you use a blueprint, it should show up ;-)

but yeah 50% - 75% for an EE-specific BP sounds fair. A fair few of them aren't that useful early on, even with the Philosophers Stone, as it takes a lot of energy to get to the higher tiers of storage device (Miniature Black Hole. for example), even if you're running about like the Borg, assimilating everything.

Ok, so let's stick with something slightly above 50%... 65-70% maybe? Yeah, 70% sounds good :-D About EMC "slow EMC storing rate" - it's intentional, because three things:

1. You can craft a Lightning Sword from it - it's a very powerful ( 150 DMG when fully charged, and that nice ability :-) ) and balanced ( it cost ONE MBH (!) ) sword :-D

2. MBH is a end-game item, that saves you from storing large quantities of RM

3. I have to say, I made it for that reason: "I feel, like a boss, holding this MBH !" *few moment's later, dies from a lureplant* XD

The game already can throw you a curveball with blueprints....like anything from the ancient tab (absolutely no benefit as you can't craft away from the Pseudoscience station, even after prototyping).

Yeah, I agree with that :-)

I'm guessing any function to pick a random blueprint automatically excludes any item you have already prototyped?

Yes, it's checking if you already know that recipe, if not - throws it to the blueprint wheel ;-)

---

Was pleasantly surprised yesterday to have a Red Matter blueprint drop from tumbleweed :-) Didn't realise the game detected mod-specific blueprints like that to add to loot tables (unless this was something you coded for tumbleweeds).

That's because the way blueprints are written - they asks for list of all recipes, so if a mod adds a recipe - there is automatically a blueprint for it :-)

As stated above :-)

You can tell I haven't fully explored the possibilities of the various chests yet :)

But the ability to cash in my gravedigger trinkets for gold nuggets without searching the whole world for the Pig King (if he even spawns) is an absolute godsend.

And your bucket mod totally saved my life today....For spring and summer starts, it's the hands-down best mod to have - wrong place, I know, but as we're chatting lol.

And your bucket mod totally saved my life today....For spring and summer starts, it's the hands-down best mod to have - wrong place, I know, but as we're chatting lol.

I'm glad that it helped - I'm proud of it :-) Credits for @Cacahuatoforo for the general idea, sprites and LOTS of testing (we were coding and testing it for about a month ;-) )

Any reason why Thulecite doesn't have an EE recipe (although Thulecite fragments do)?

Looking forward to the next update. :)

Yes, the reason is - There can be only one recipe for one item (that's how recipe system works) - so, I can't add my own, because then, that recipe in Ancient tab will disappear... The same is for coupe other things, like Purple Gem (red & blue gem), Nightmare Fuel (dark petals), etc...

I made all of this exchangeable in Exchanging Chest, so this is the only way of obtaining them in large quantities...

New update is pretty much ready, but I have to look into EMC values first, and I don't have much of a free time, so...

OK, that makes a lot of sense.

I used the exchanging chest to make the last couple of thulecite I needed, so that worked out fine. (until I tried kiting blue hounds while wearing a piggyback.  RIP Winnie).

*cracks whip*...faster! hehe

The mod keeps crashing my client.
Here is the error message.

Warning!

The following mod(s) have crashed a failure: Equivalent Exchange v2
...mapps/common/dont_starve/data/../mods/EE/modmain.lua:500: variable 'GetHintTextForRecipe' is not declared
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
=[C] in function 'error'
c:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/strict.lua(23,1)
c:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/../mods/EE/modmain.lua(500,1) in main chunk
=[C] in function 'xpcall'
c:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/util.lua(439,1) in function 'RunInEnvironment'
c:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(190,1) in function 'InitializeModMain'

@DoubleA77 - I'm aware of this issue, it will be fixed in next update (which will show up today, or tommorow)...