• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

Fueled By Madness 1.4

1 Screenshot

About This File

Hey, you know about the Night Light? Yea me neither, why would you ever make something so useless amirite? Well not anymore! No longer waste any precious nightmare fuel, this brand new Night Light uses patent pending Cthulhuian technology to rip the nightmares right out of your head!

Features:

Night Light is now an infinite light source similar to Maxwell's light, but the more insane you are the brighter it is.

Warning at full sanity the small flame from the Night Light will NOT protect you from Charlie the night monster. You have to be at about 140/150 to be safe, though that will not give you much room to work with.

Wearing the Nightmare Amulet will create a max flame size, but be careful if better_sanity_drain option is true as it is by default because Night Lights will drain your sanity quite fast and you can't see the effects of sanity drain in your sanity meter while wearing the Nightmare Amulet.

The Night Light can be turned off and on by right clicking on it.

By default it will always remember if you turned it off, but a Config option is avalibe to set it to always turn back on once you come close to it again.

The sanity drain from the Night Light is now based on the flame sized, the bigger it is the more it will drain.

In vanilla you would have to be touching the Night Light for it to effect you at all. Now it has a larger radius but standing farther away lessens the drain. By default at max flame size while touching the Night Light it will drain 20 sanity per minute, that number and setting it to work as it does in vanilla are both configurable.

Config:

The file called modmain.lua can be found in <your don't starve folder>modsFueledByMadness

Default Configurations:

----Config-----local turn_back_on_when_close = false --If false NightLights stay off until you turn them on, if true they will automatically turn back on when once you leave and come close to them again.local better_sanity_drain = true  --If true sanity drain is now drains more the bigger the flame, and the area of effect is larger, though the further away you are standing to the NightLight the less the drain.local custom_sanity_drain = 20 --sanity drain per minute when at max fuel while standing very close to the NightLight, only used if better_sanity_drain is true.  Zero is an option.local enable_custom_recipe = false --setting to true will use the recipe out-lined in custom_recipe, it will also put the Night Light at the bottom of the magic tab fyi.local custom_recipe = {Ingredient("goldnugget", 8), Ingredient("nightmarefuel", 2),Ingredient("redgem", 1)} --example of the default recipe---------------

Discuss:

Any tips or suggestions are welcome and appreciated but go easy on me, A n00b I am.

You can talk to me about the mod, tell me how much you like it, or just say hi, below.

Also ratings do make me happy, especially the 5 star variety. ;)

Boring Legal Stuff:

Feel free to use anything from my mods in anyway you like, acknowledgement is not necessary but it is appreciated.

As school and life take up more of my time I may have to give up on updating these mods, if I fail to update them to the current version of Don't Starve for several weeks, assume my mods are abandon and feel free to start your own version using any and all of my assets.

It sure has been a lot of fun!

88x31.png

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.

To Install:

Just go to steamsteamappscommondont_starvemods and place the folder located in the .zip archive

Start Don't Starve and go to the "Mods" menu and enable this mod.

Support My Mods:

If you would like to help me out, follow this adf.ly like link wait for 10 seconds and click the "Skip ad" at the top right of the page.

What's New in Version 1.0   See changelog

Released

• initial release

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Now THIS is an interesting feature for the night light, balanced (if it still drains sanity, and it does right?, also consider making its crafting abit more expensive, just a bit  ;)   )

Cool, this is going to be useful

I would have never done it if not for you.

Now THIS is an interesting feature for the night light, balanced (if it still drains sanity, and it does right?, also consider making its crafting abit more expensive, just a bit  ;)   )

The sanity drain and recipe are the same as vanilla Don't Starve but, I will add things to the config to easily adjust them in the next update.

• Like 1

Ever since using this ive been seeing hands come and trying take light from the night light and starting its to freak me out. Is this apart of the mod?

• Like 1

Ever since using this ive been seeing hands come and trying take light from the night light and starting its to freak me out. Is this apart of the mod?

That is not a specific feature of my mod that I made happen.  I think you are just going MAD! Mwahaha!

Don't like your own comments, that is cheating.

It's pretty funny when you think about it.

I like the reddit approach where it is assumed you already like your own comment.

That is not a specific feature of my mod that I made happen.  I think you are just going MAD! Mwahaha!

Im not going mad. im gusseing when you use a night light in a ruin a strange things start to happen.

↑ Thanks, that is probably the best complement a mod could get.  It is funny, I never actually made a Night Light legit before this mod because it seemed so pointless and expensive.  In fact the wiki says it is called "Most Useless Item Ever" but I thought it had a lot of potential to be a cool item if its mechanics were tweaked a little.

I think this mod is basically perfect now, it likely won't need to be maintained very much since Six Feet Under is the penultimate update and Klei has said that updates won't be so mod breaking anymore.

Nice mod, could it be possible to put it in the config to have it so it has a set level of light rather than a sanity dependent one? I really enjoyed a similar mod that made it last forever and always stayed the same level of light.

Nice mod, could it be possible to put it in the config to have it so it has a set level of light rather than a sanity dependent one? I really enjoyed a similar mod that made it last forever and always stayed the same level of light.

Sounds a little OP to easly give people that option but if you really want that there is a simple way, just find the line this section of code:

local function getfuellevel(inst)    if inst.flameOn then        local observer = GLOBAL.GetPlayer()        if observer and observer.components.sanity then            if observer.components.sanity.inducedinsanity then                inst.components.fueled:SetPercent(1)            else                inst.components.fueled:SetPercent(1.01-observer.components.sanity.current / observer.components.sanity.max)                --print(1.01-observer.components.sanity.current / observer.components.sanity.max)            end            inst:DoTaskInTime(0.5, function() getfuellevel(inst) end) --this will continues to loop the function but can only do that will FlameOn is still true        end    endend

and replace it with this:

local function getfuellevel(inst)    inst.components.fueled:SetPercent(1)end

And that way it will always be at full when you are close to it, like Maxwell's lights.

What about the crawling hands with quite insanity going for it? What will then happen? The light gets completely drained or what? Would that same thing happen to Maxwell's lights when you're a bit insane? I'm gonna test it at some point, meanwhile not downloading this mod until I'm sure it doesn't crash when crawling hands come or if they take my light out anyway...

The Hands don't cause any problems code-wise, they will take a bit of flame and the light will flicker for a moment but then come right back on.