• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

1 Screenshot

About This File

Features:

This mod lets you equip the compass to your hand, and while it is in your hand it makes the fog of war on your map disappear so you can see everything, unequipping it hides the map again but everything you have explored is still visible.

I made this mod cause I thought the compass could be more useful and I find uncovering the map a bit tedious, you are basically spending an inventory slot for the ability to see the whole map on the go. It works in caves and ruins as well.

SCREENSHOT:

Map example

*NEW* Character holding compass:

YJgZ2qF.jpg

Discuss:

Any tips or suggestions are welcome and appreciated but go easy on me, A n00b I am.

You can talk to me about the mod, tell me how much you like it, or just say hi below.

Also ratings do make me happy, especially the 5 star variety. ;)

Incompatible with:

---------- My other map revealing map mod mapportato

• If you unequip the compass it turns the fog of war back on regardless of the completed teleportato, otherwise they do not conflict. Fixed as of BC 1.3 & MP 1.7

Boring Legal Stuff:

Feel free to use anything from my mods in anyway you like, acknowledgement is not necessary but it is appreciated.

As school and life take up more of my time I may have to give up on updating these mods, if I fail to update them to the current version of Don't Starve for several weeks, assume my mods are abandon and feel free to start your own version using any and all of my assets.

It sure has been a lot of fun!

88x31.png

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.

To Install:

Just go to steamsteamappscommondont_starvemods and place the folder located in the .zip archive

Start Don't Starve and go to the "Mods" menu and enable this mod.

Support My Mods:

If you would like to help me out, follow this adf.ly like link wait for 10 seconds and click the "Skip ad" at the top right of the page.

What's New in Version 1.2   See changelog

Released

• Bumped to Six Feet Under, no changes.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Maybe little OP but useful.

I was thinking about nerfing it so that holding the compass makes your map revealing radius larger, but I would leave this version as a configurable option.

Though there are already mods that increase the map reveal radius by default and to make it work for this mod I would likely have to just copy their code, so I am on the fence with this idea, especially because toggling the revealing radius in game is a lot harder then just changing it by default.

EDIT:  After some attempts I don't think I can make that work so I will probably stick to the op version, but if anyone thinks they can get the reveal radius thing working feel free go for it.

What materials needed to make this compass. i disable it and play the game,but I do not see it on any of my tab :(

Not bad, a bit OP but it helps, the idea of a larger map reveal radius is a good idea too. Maybe you could add a hardcore mode where the map reveals only your current surroundings and only keeps things revealed if you search those areas while you have the compass equipped.

I would also love to see a combo of this and the map, where you have to craft a map and the game still plays in the background while you look at your map. I suggested this way back when the compass was added, but klei just decided to leave it as is.

What materials needed to make this compass. i disable it and play the game,but I do not see it on any of my tab :(

1 Gold Nugget, 1 Papyrus in the survival tab -Wiki

...larger map reveal radius is a good idea too. Maybe you could add a hardcore mode where the map reveals only your current surroundings and only keeps things revealed if you search those areas while you have the compass equipped.

...combo of this and the map, where you have to craft a map and the game still plays in the background while you look at your map.

I have been playing around with a lot of ideas, if I make any progress with them I will add multiple modes and option but so far I have only the current version.

Things I don't plan on doing: I don't really want to add any more items or change the way the map works without the compass.  The goal of this mod is to give the compass more purpose by making exploring and uncovering the map less tedious.

How to equip this??

There is just an examine button on my compas..

It should just equip like a spear, are you sure you installed it correctlly?  Did you turn it on in the mod menu?

how about add durability to it (degrades when map key is pressed), or add a semi-rare ingredient, or make it a one time use device(hardcore) to level out it's op-ness. 

Meh... I don't find it so op, I just always found trying to uncover the whole map a bit tedious and it never felt worth it in the end, so for me this just smooths out an aspect of the game that I never found very engaging in the first place.  Different strokes I guess, but I will consider adding an optional durability of some sort, thanks for the suggestion.

This is beautiful. It says out of date and compatibility unknown but still works on my RoG save. A little update will be excellent, just to make it look good by saying that it's up to date and good compatibility.

I rather disagree with the durability idea though. I'd prefer it to be simple like now. The mod Map Revealer is very popular, meaning many people are tedious to uncover the whole map. So this compass mod balance it out a little. Exploration can be fun, but when you have explored enough and it starts to feel tedious, you can just use the compass to find where you want to go.