Make use of research stations after full research

I just have a random idea about how to make research stations useful after you're done researching everything - adding a new feature to them. 

I always rush research, then end up getting all of my research out of the way by cycle 30ish. Then I just disassemble them and never use them again. That seems like a waste.

The ability to send fresh dupes to "train" on them would give them prolonged use and give a reason to create a 'research' center. 

basically you would set it to train a dupe on a certain topic, and whatever dupe was using the machine would level up the set skill at twice the speed. It would require power and maybe some raw materials, but it would extend the use of the research stations and would allow players who get bad dupe rolls to re-shape dupes into whatever role the station needs. 

1 hour ago, Ciderblock said:

At least it would be nice to be able to train Learning.

Well maybe that's the thing... Learning wouldn't necessarily be a general stat anymore, it would apply to using the research machines - or it would affect the learning rate modifier when a dupe was using a research station. 

But it would make sense if a dupe could log in to a research station and learn the cognitive abilities:
Cooking
Construction
Tinkering
Creativity

pooosibly Digging, if we're going to talk about the PC having digging techniques.

Maybe have a skill cap - they can't learn any skill past value 5 or 10, depending on the machine they use. 
That kind of thing.

While I'm not against a training station as a concept, I don't think the science stations are a good place for that. First of all, I do believe that we'll have much much more tech to unlock in the future.

And second, free teaching might depreciate the skills. I'd say that the training station is better being the "teaching station", where a dupe with a high skill can teach others that skill. This way you still need your dupes to learn their skills the hard way, but they can then teach others to their level.

Well then you could use the research station for your highly qualified dupe to write training courses, and later other dupes could learn from these training courses. This way you don't need an extra station and the research station does not become obsolete.

The obvious end-game use for research stations is synthesizing materials or otherwise converting one object into another. For example; if we're to find buried artifacts and other such sundries, it'd make sense to crack those particular treasures open as a Research project.

Other material conversions could include generating Slime through some form of absurd chemistry using Dirt or Fertilizer, sifting through Dirt or biome-specific minerals for a chance to find seeds, or maybe turning Coal into diamonds... not that we need diamonds.

On 5/26/2017 at 3:24 AM, LeadfootSlim said:

The obvious end-game use for research stations is synthesizing materials or otherwise converting one object into another. For example; if we're to find buried artifacts and other such sundries, it'd make sense to crack those particular treasures open as a Research project.

Other material conversions could include generating Slime through some form of absurd chemistry using Dirt or Fertilizer, sifting through Dirt or biome-specific minerals for a chance to find seeds, or maybe turning Coal into diamonds... not that we need diamonds.

Bingo

Archived