Chlorinating water  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the idea of chlorinated water?

• Yes, version 1
    • Yes, version 2
    • No
    • Yes, if only it was implemented differently(comment below how)

So right now the chlorine doesn't serve any purpose and I was thinking that it would be a nice idea to use it to purify water.

I have 2 options in mind:

1. A machine that runs on electricity, pumps in chlorine and contaminated water and pumps out purified water.
  2. (harder to implement) A machine that runs on electricity, pumps in chlorine and contaminated water and pumps out chlorinated water that dissipates chlorine into air over time.

Suggest below if you have any other ideas how to implement this.

I like the first idea best, but the current water purifer should be replaced with this machine. Also, a new machine would be required to produce chlorine (as natural chlorine deposits will only take you so far). Possibly a machine that breaks down bleach stone into chlorine. 

1 hour ago, chromiumboy said:

I like the first idea best, but the current water purifer should be replaced with this machine. Also, a new machine would be required to produce chlorine (as natural chlorine deposits will only take you so far). Possibly a machine that breaks down bleach stone into chlorine. 

Hand sanitizers already do this. 

This isn't a bad idea. You could set up a room that holds water and doesn't let the gas out and then pump the clean water left over into out and have a gas pump pumping the chlorine back into the cleaning section. 

Now would be a good time to say it would be a nice idea to have timers in the game so that you could filter the water into the tank. Then after the chlorine gas has fully leaked out you could then pump it out of the room using the timer so it doesn't take much maintenence and you won't kill dupes due to the gas.

i like how chlorine would be able to clean water :o. not a bad idea. but wouldn't it have a different taste to it? like i know it cleans water but it isn't so "fresh" as it would still have that floating around. Apparently drinking much of chlorine water irl can cause health issues. maybe it can run into another machine to make it fully pure?

12 hours ago, VillaEnders said:

i like how chlorine would be able to clean water :o. not a bad idea. but wouldn't it have a different taste to it? like i know it cleans water but it isn't so "fresh" as it would still have that floating around. Apparently drinking much of chlorine water irl can cause health issues. maybe it can run into another machine to make it fully pure?

in real life the amount of chlorine in tap water is negligible, most of it has been dissipated during the long travel to your tap and if you leave a glass of water on the table the rest of it would be gone fairly quickly. If used in higher amounts - as if trying to purify the water instead of just disinfecting it, it would just take longer to dissipate the chlorine back into atmosphere. And therefore we get the idea 2 again.

The first option is not sustainable - you'll run out of the chlorine eventually. And the second option does not fit with the game's design (it doesn't support gas/liquid concentrations and would need to support chlorine concentration in water).

But instead of just using the chlorine, the machine could produce some new material that can be processed back to chlorine. For example, it may produce 'salt', that dropped into water creates salty water, and that run into electrolyzer will produce chlorine instead of oxygen and hydrogen.

The first option is not sustainable - you'll run out of the chlorine eventually. And the second option does not fit with the game's design (it doesn't support gas/liquid concentrations and would need to support chlorine concentration in water).

What you could implement though, is a combination of the current machines - like having and end end game content. Maybe you would need to process clorine into a liquid first and pump it together with contaminated water into a purifying machine. another option could be, to have a cooling device for liquids, that lets them eventually freeze solid or maybe even drop it out as a solid and then use the pellets for a purifier as a better alternative to use instead of sand. It would need some kind of percentage display of "pure" state on the decontaminated water though, which i think is a better way to work the water mechanics anyways.

bleach stone is not so easy to find. it is scarce.. maybe we can add something that can make bleach stone? :o what about a different animal that can make bleach stone.. i just gave myself another idea for my thread lol.

custom new machines could also work :P. like making chlorine into liquid and infusing it with dirty water? it would produce slowly but will give large amounts of water at once.

I'd say it should be passive like the air deodorizer.  Due to already in game mechanics, having a device inside a large pool of polluted water attempting to clean it from within, is infeasible, whatever block of water it drops will be reconverted to polluted, to my knowledge.  This could be to the advantage of its practical realism, as attempting to make it deal with large deep bodies of contaminated water Wil not work, like how dumping enough chlorine anywhere simply contaminates the water itself with chlorine

Archived