[Thermal Update] Gas pipe keeps being broken when condenses Polluted Oxygen

Hi all,

I try to setup a cooling system to purify polluted oxygen by condense it to liquid then let it evaporate again to oxygen. However, with the Thermal Update version, the pipe keeps being broken by "frozen contents in it". I try to think about solution for it but still not figure out yet. Does anyone have similar problem to me?

pipe_broken.png

Pipes now break when gas reaches condensing temperature inside(ie you cant use thermoregulators to condense dirty 02 into clean o2)

i ran into the same problem when trying to make liquid hydrogen

you can still purify dirty o2 using freezing hydrogen gas as a working fluid, you need to mix the contaminated o2 with hydrogen thats below the condensing point of o2, use a filter to run h2 through your thermoregulators into a mixing tank then have a liquid pump at the bottom to pump out the liquid o2 into a heated room. Make sure that the hydrogen doesnt get too cold, or the same thing will happen.

I think the number of thermoregulators only affects how fast it cool down gas. BTW, I have reduced to 2 units, it takes a decade to reach -183 degree, then pipe has broken again. Also adding thermal switch doesn't provide any help.

My issue right now is how to consume polluted oxygen which fill up my base.

6 minutes ago, ThangLe said:

I think the number of thermoregulators only affects how fast it cool down gas. BTW, I have reduced to 2 units, it takes a decade to reach -183 degree, then pipe has broken again. Also adding thermal switch doesn't provide any help.

My issue right now is how to consume polluted oxygen which fill up my base.

You need to make it condense outside of pipes.

Finally, I have 2 prototype of Hydrogen chamber to condense polluted oxygen.

Getting the idea of another thread that Hydrogen condenses at about -251 Celsius which could be enough to cool down oxygen before hydrogen condenses in the pipe. So I setup first chamber as in Ver1.png. It works but it takes very very long time to cooling oxygen to liquid. Then, I was think about the cooling system in refrigerator and setup second chamber as in Ver2.png. It provides much more contact between oxygen and cool hydrogen, still take long time to cooling down though. But finally it works.

The critical point in these designs is the place and value of thermal switch. It's very sensitive. Just few degree different can break the pipe. Also air flow could cause deadlock when too much pressure at the gas vent. Still in-improvement.

Ver1.png

Ver2.png

Test1.sav

Archived