[Suggestion] More uses for Tigershark gills.

Exactly what it says on the tin. I'm sure they have plans already for this (or at least I hope they do) but just in case they don't, I wanted to voice my opinion that gills only being useful for making the dumbrella seems very limited, considering how many you can obtain in just one monsoon season (2 from killing the Tigershark herself, and even more from killing additional sharkittens, and the fact that once you've made one dumbrella, there's hardly a reason to make any more, great as they may be, because you can just use sewing kits on them. So I say it'd be really great if we had some more late-ish game uses for them.

(I'm going to keep my personal ideas in a separate post here so people don't feel like they're being roped into supporting them if they just want to like the general idea of having more gill items.)

Gills are great for snackrifice. But yeah, we kind of broke away from the 2-craftables-per-giant-drop rule that RoG was following, and have three things crafted from the Sealnado and only one crafted from the Gills. However, there is another thing clearly planned for the gills:

Spoiler

"seasack", it looks like an equivalent of the ice pack, which is a bit underwhelming. But it's something I guess. It's in the recipes.lua file, commented out.

There's also a sharktooth crown in the files, but I'm not sure how that would be crafted or what it does.

6 minutes ago, rezecib said:

Gills are great for snackrifice. But yeah, we kind of broke away from the 2-craftables-per-giant-drop rule that RoG was following, and have three things crafted from the Sealnado and only one crafted from the Gills. However, there is another thing clearly planned for the gills:

Hide contents

"seasack", it looks like an equivalent of the ice pack, which is a bit underwhelming. But it's something I guess. It's in the recipes.lua file, commented out.

There's also a sharktooth crown in the files, but I'm not sure how that would be crafted or what it does.

Spoiler

The sharktooth crown is bound to be similar to the spider hat since sharxs have no easier way of being killed...

3 hours ago, rezecib said:

Reveal hidden contents

Well, to be fair, there are 2 current craftables from the tigershark if you include the eye. But like I said, the gills are more plentiful so it'd make sense to have more stuff to do with them. I'd probably not spend gills on the snackrifice altar honestly, because I've heard eggs are viable and I have no reason not to use those after I've got a birdcage. Also didn't know about the other thing planned for the update because I really try to avoid spoilers and don't root through code myself or anything. In any case, I'd still love a couple more options.

4 hours ago, SirBuizelton said:

(I'm going to keep my personal ideas in a separate post here so people don't feel like they're being roped into supporting them if they just want to like the general idea of having more gill items.)

Here are my ideas thus far:

*The TigerYacht: "Skim the sea in style!" 

Crafted with 6 boards, (like the other highest-tier boats) 3-4 shark gills, 3 rope (Can be changed to something else, but I can't think of anything that'd make more sense)

Stats: 400 HP (less than armored boat but more than cargo, as I'm sure the tigershark's skin is pretty thick), slightly faster than the other two currently top-tier boats, takes heavily reduced damage from hitting waves the wrong way, heavily reduced wetness gain from hitting waves, takes slightly less damage over time when simply sailing, and a small sanity boost over time, but it's just as vulnerable to attacks by enemies as the cargo ship is (no damage reduction in those instances). (if that's still too OP, I'd suggest making it take slightly longer to accelerate, but have a little more max speed.)

OR

It could be a more battle-oriented boat of the piratehatitator-tier with this recipe (needs modification):

TigerShip: "Stalk your prey in the night!" (reference to the song)

10-12 living logs (it might seem like a lot, but there are just so many totally normal trees), 2 purple gems, 3-4 Shark gills.

Stats: 400-500 HP, moves MUCH faster when an attack order is issued (as if to pounce on enemies as a tiger would), is either heavily armored or unstunnable by weaker enemies such as sharks, and the purple gems on the front of the boat (I included them because I pictured to boat to actually look like a tiger shark, with the gems as the eyes) either provide light for a while after you kill something, getting brighter the more you kill, or the boat is simply able to be fueled with nightmare fuel to have the light. (Or both.) However, there could be a slow sanity drain for every moment you're in the boat.

Maybe there could even be a boat you could make that allows you to ally with sharks when you're in it.

Alternatively or additively, there could simply be something like a Shark gill sail that protects you from wetness from waves when you're in it, resists or negates wind, or some sort of mixture of the two.

Another idea I really like is Tigerskin rugs. Just for decoration and flood control, nothing particularly special, aside from being able to make, perhaps 3 or 4 of them with 1 gill, otherwise it'd seem really really expensive IMO.

I'd love to see Walani be able to make a TigerShark surfboard as well, but that's a whole different discussion.

That's it for now, please feel free to share your own ideas, or tell me if all of this is a bad idea or not!

there are 2 craftable for tiger shark because he drops 2 special items just like the sealnado. However, It drops so much shark gills for almost nothing. Let's take the Goose/Moose for example: It drops some feathers, but not enough to build a Luxury fan AND a Weather pain, but if you put together the feathers of mooslings maybe you can craft both. While the shark gills this kinda happen in the opposite form. If you put together all the gills, you will spend just 1 to make a dumbrela and the others will be put in that same chest you put gears!!!

8 hours ago, SepiaPaper said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The sharktooth crown is bound to be similar to the spider hat since sharxs have no easier way of being killed...

....are they planning to...no.

no. Klei, you genius bastards.

Spoiler

Hounds. Neutral. Never thought I'd see the day

4 hours ago, SirBuizelton said:

Here are my ideas thus far:

*The TigerYacht: "Skim the sea in style!" 

Crafted with 6 boards, (like the other highest-tier boats) 3-4 shark gills, 3 rope (Can be changed to something else, but I can't think of anything that'd make more sense)

Stats: 400 HP (less than armored boat but more than cargo, as I'm sure the tigershark's skin is pretty thick), slightly faster than the other two currently top-tier boats, takes heavily reduced damage from hitting waves the wrong way, heavily reduced wetness gain from hitting waves, takes slightly less damage over time when simply sailing, and a small sanity boost over time, but it's just as vulnerable to attacks by enemies as the cargo ship is (no damage reduction in those instances). (if that's still too OP, I'd suggest making it take slightly longer to accelerate, but have a little more max speed.)

OR

It could be a more battle-oriented boat of the piratehatitator-tier with this recipe (needs modification):

TigerShip: "Stalk your prey in the night!" (reference to the song)

10-12 living logs (it might seem like a lot, but there are just so many totally normal trees), 2 purple gems, 3-4 Shark gills.

Stats: 400-500 HP, moves MUCH faster when an attack order is issued (as if to pounce on enemies as a tiger would), is either heavily armored or unstunnable by weaker enemies such as sharks, and the purple gems on the front of the boat (I included them because I pictured to boat to actually look like a tiger shark, with the gems as the eyes) either provide light for a while after you kill something, getting brighter the more you kill, or the boat is simply able to be fueled with nightmare fuel to have the light. (Or both.) However, there could be a slow sanity drain for every moment you're in the boat.

Maybe there could even be a boat you could make that allows you to ally with sharks when you're in it.

Alternatively or additively, there could simply be something like a Shark gill sail that protects you from wetness from waves when you're in it, resists or negates wind, or some sort of mixture of the two.

Another idea I really like is Tigerskin rugs. Just for decoration and flood control, nothing particularly special, aside from being able to make, perhaps 3 or 4 of them with 1 gill, otherwise it'd seem really really expensive IMO.

I'd love to see Walani be able to make a TigerShark surfboard as well, but that's a whole different discussion.

That's it for now, please feel free to share your own ideas, or tell me if all of this is a bad idea or not!

Yes. All of this, yes.

On 11/02/2016 at 1:20 AM, SirBuizelton said:

Tigerskin rugs. Just for decoration and flood control, nothing particularly special, aside from being able to make, perhaps 3 or 4 of them with 1 gill, otherwise it'd seem really really expensive IMO.

I've been thinking about this sort of idea myself.

Personally, I think the shark gill flooring should cost 1-2 gills, along with a pigskin and a board, and give you one tile from this. However, my version of it was that puddles would not spawn, nor spread onto, the shark skin flooring during Monsoon season. Therefore, it could be used as a late-game strategy for protecting important structures - like an ice box, science machine, crock pot or ice maker - from getting flooded. 

However, it's downside would be that you would move 20% slower when walking on it (to discourage people from overusing it and remove the threat of flooding entirely) and needing the shadow manipulator to craft it.

Archived