Custom Mod I Made Crashes Game

(It turns out that I posted this in the wrong forum  :razz: so now its in the right one.)

A character mod I had recently been working on crashes Dont Starve. its not complete since I havent uploaded any art yet. but when I go to the mod page and enable it its totally fine,(it doesnt say outdated etc.). When i try to launch the game it says stuff like... 

C:/Program Files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve... in function 'resolvefilepath' 

^it says the same thing with... 

Registerprefabs 

Loadprefabs 

DoResetAction 

Complete_callback 

My mob as i said earlier is incomplete, so my character doesn't have any special ability's or items yet, nor art. 

I also was wondering how to program the character to say something when he hears the dogs barking, an example would be how Abigail says "The hounds or Baying". thank you for what ever help i recieve. ;-;

This is my third attempt at getting this on the right forum...

The things below are some stuff in my mod. I have been trying to fix this for like two weeks now and its really freaking frustrating ;-;

If the mod is already enabled when i get on the game, it says klei cant help if the mod acts up, and to use at my own risk. When i press accept the game crashes.

Attached Files

GAAAAAH I typed up a whole post then closed the window!

Anyways, to business (again).

As Mobbstar said, two of your files have double extensions, which will definitely cause issues.

We need more files than this. The current error is caused by files missing. The best thing would be to include a ZIP of the entire folder.

Also, your 'halwen.zip' should be in the 'anim' subfolder.

What you told us was the error's stacktrace (what function did the error occur in, what function called that function, what function called that function, etc.). We need the actual error message, which should be the first line on the error screen after "WARNING!". You can also, as Mobbstar said, check you 'log.txt' file - which you can find via the post he linked - for the program's entire output (but only it's last run. The log clears and records the new instance's output when you launch the game again).

Was the error you got the following?

...m/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/util.lua:276: Could not find an asset matching bigportraits/halwen.xml in any of the search paths.

This means that the file it mentions is missing. XML and TEX files can be generated from PNGs by means of the autocompiler, which will run at each launch of the game after you install the Don't Starve Mod Tools from Steam (find them in your 'Tools' tab).

GAAAAAH I typed up a whole post then closed the window!

Anyways, to business (again).

As Mobbstar said, two of your files have double extensions, which will definitely cause issues.

We need more files than this. The current error is caused by files missing. The best thing would be to include a ZIP of the entire folder.

Also, your 'halwen.zip' should be in the 'anim' subfolder.

What you told us was the error's stacktrace (what function did the error occur in, what function called that function, what function called that function, etc.). We need the actual error message, which should be the first line on the error screen after "WARNING!". You can also, as Mobbstar said, check you 'log.txt' file - which you can find via the post he linked - for the program's entire output (but only it's last run. The log clears and records the new instance's output when you launch the game again).

Was the error you got the following?

...m/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/util.lua:276: Could not find an asset matching bigportraits/halwen.xml in any of the search paths.

This means that the file it mentions is missing. XML and TEX files can be generated from PNGs by means of the autocompiler, which will run at each launch of the game after you install the Don't Starve Mod Tools from Steam (find them in your 'Tools' tab).

/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/util.lua:276: could not find an asset matching anim/halwen.zip in any of the search paths.

that's what it says, and sometimes it says that i need to go to the forums for an updated version. :/

log.txt

An the thing with updated version is probably because it crashes, or because you didn't set the right api version in modinfo.lua (6 for base DS, 10 for DST)

I don't think that field affects anything other than the mods menu. More likely it's just saying "Go ask the mod maker for a buxfix".

I don't think that field affects anything other than the mods menu. More likely it's just saying "Go ask the mod maker for a buxfix".

I fixed the double extensions, and I made sure that it was up to date, now it doesn't even show the error message anymore, it just crashes, and says to use the mod at my own risk. The stuff below is the stuff I tried to fix. I have even looked at the other character mods I have downloaded to compare and try to find out where i went wrong, but what I have is like identical. I have tried going into the game and verifying cache but that did nothing.???

modinfo.lua

modmain.lua

halwen.zip

halwen.lua

Hm, maybe the game is looking for a different halwen.zip.

There should actually be two different animatio files with that name. One in the "exported" folder along with your character sprites, and one in the "anim" folder.

if there is no "halwen.zip" in your anim folder, then somethings going wrong with the Spriter files

Hm, those halwen.xml files look... weird. They just show up as gibberish when I try and open them. All my other xml files are readable.

Did you do anything funny to them? the two "halwen.xml" files in your images/saveslot_portraits and selectscreen_portraits folders? I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to look like that. Maybe you should re-download fresh copies of those two files and replace the ones you are currently using.

The halwen.xml under "bigportraits" is readable, but it says the texture filename is from "sample_dude.tex", and I don't see a sample_dude.tex file anywhere in your folders, so that could also be causing a problem. (I think you'd just need to replace it with halwen.tex and that would fix that part)

those two things are likely what's causing the problems

Archived