Okay just because this nearly happened last night and there's no way to stop this, even though I'm host.

So a notice, my internet shuts off which means the people can be dropped at that time.

So I started up a survival server, wanting to test out the new mode and play around for a bit. Me and my friend are doing pretty well, sadly she dies twice, in short successions. She's fine as I'm able to revive her quickly with an amulet from a grave and a heart later on.

Long story short, they died a lot, my sanity was garbage, we needed more food so I offered to go hunt, forgot to bring food. I starved to death and the other friend left. So I was with one friend who was alive and just needed to gland and some health to revive me. So we're gathering everything, planning out other things while I'm still a ghost.

Then...my net goes out. And right away the game is trying to reset the server.

So my idea...if there are touchstones in your world, the server shouldn't just go right to reset.

That, or if we could at least have an option for a Reset Later thing.

I had to force close the server and I'm still dead so on booting the server, if it doesn't stop the countdown when my friend joins then it's going to be an unnecessary pain.

I can deal with rebuilding and redoing everything but it just feels like it would be so unnecessary just because my net cuts out. :(

we could at least have an option for a Reset Later

I think something like that is really needed. What's the point of a countdown if there's nothing you can do about it? I was thinking that the last couple of times I saw the countdown. If it's a dedicated server with no admin on, just skip the countdown, it's just wasting time. But if there's an admin then they should have some option to deal with the countdown.

Once server pausing is in, having a pause button on the countdown dialog would probably make the most sense-- that way the only exploit would be getting people to join, which in most cases would just be to fix network shenanigans like you were having. 

Edit: fixed the end of the quote

• Developer

The next bit of work for this feature involves turning that countdown into a HUD widget (rather than a modal dialog that is a screen and therefore steals focus from the game). Once that's done, you should be able to continue moving, chatting, and searching for a last-ditch touchstone. We're also still planning on some sort of server-pause feature.

The next bit of work for this feature involves turning that countdown into a HUD widget (rather than a modal dialog that is a screen and therefore steals focus from the game). Once that's done, you should be able to continue moving, chatting, and searching for a last-ditch touchstone. We're also still planning on some sort of server-pause feature.

With that happening, will it be a possibility of the reset timer having a before hand timer setting? That or having a way for a small vote by the hud, or the like, to see how much more time you should add. 30 seconds can only get you so far and the touchstones are usually pretty spaced out.

On the similar note though, if a living player joins the server, will it stop the timer, or not affect it?

Especially for living players who are already in the server. If the host is dead the counter starts on the instance of the server booting up, and that can be an issue seeing as there's currently no way of pausing it at all.

• Developer

With that happening, will it be a possibility of the reset timer having a before hand timer setting? That or having a way for a small vote by the hud, or the like, to see how much more time you should add. 30 seconds can only get you so far and the touchstones are usually pretty spaced out.

On the similar note though, if a living player joins the server, will it stop the timer, or not affect it?

Especially for living players who are already in the server. If the host is dead the counter starts on the instance of the server booting up, and that can be an issue seeing as there's currently no way of pausing it at all.

Once we've made that change, the timer will be longer to allow for traveling to touchstones and meat effigies. It will be up to the host if they want to reset it before the timer is up. We may at some point add a vote-restart for dedicated servers.

That case with the host being dead is a really good point! We're currently trying to figure out exactly how to handle this. We don't want it to be exploitable or create ill-will towards late joiners, but we don't want the timer to make it so you can't resume a game where the host is dead.

Once we've made that change, the timer will be longer to allow for traveling to touchstones and meat effigies. It will be up to the host if they want to reset it before the timer is up. We may at some point add a vote-restart for dedicated servers.

That case with the host being dead is a really good point! We're currently trying to figure out exactly how to handle this. We don't want it to be exploitable or create ill-will towards late joiners, but we don't want the timer to make it so you can't resume a game where the host is dead.

The vote might be helpful, especially if it was a public server. If it's private then yeah I can understand completely. Not sure, a longer timer or a timer that can have a vote for extension could be useful.

Yeah having the reset function happen instantly when I(host) had the net dropped and was alone was a bit on edge for me. Maybe if the reset timer only appeared when there was more than one person(which would be host) in the server that were dead. So say if the host is dead, starts up the server and the timer doesn't start until more people come and join? I don't know, maybe that's too exploitable but then again that would be like just playing the vanilla game and that's not what this is supposed to be.

A brainstorm on that case could be useful. That was my only idea....Actually I had an idea.

Maybe that same idea, but since it's just the host, say that they're dead and the timer doesn't start, but as a dead host they're not allowed to move, or not allowed to use revival items until another player joins the server? This could keep the host from simply hovering and reviving themselves before anyone joins in.

If say the person who joins is also dead though, the timer would start and movement would be allowed, along with revival and the race to revive someone would be on.

I don't know, I'm just spewing ideas. :p

Archived