My Giants keep disappearing

agstah

Ok, so twice now I've been battling different giants (first the Dragonfly and then the Bearger) and they are kicking my butt. That's fine, I know I suck at fighting, whatever. I was able to get away both times and head back to my base for a bit of healing and I was ready to continue the fight. But when I go back to where I left them, like literally 2 minutes later, they're GONE! I put in so much work to try and take these things down and I'm really close, and then they just up and leave and I don't get any of the cool loot for all my efforts.

Why is this happening? I don't think it's because they're despawning at the end of their respective season, I've fought them immediately both times and surely they don't only stick around for 1 day. It's day 87 in my world right now so winter shouldn't be here until day 93, yet the Bearger that I had on really low health has disappeared. :(

I've left and come back and they are still there, ground rumbling included. it sounds like you may have a bug, but before I go there, let me ask if you have changed any of the world settings or are using any mods, and have you tried disabling the mods to see if that solves it if the latter is so? 

Ok, so twice now I've been battling different giants (first the Dragonfly and then the Bearger) and they are kicking my butt. That's fine, I know I suck at fighting, whatever. I was able to get away both times and head back to my base for a bit of healing and I was ready to continue the fight. But when I go back to where I left them, like literally 2 minutes later, they're GONE! I put in so much work to try and take these things down and I'm really close, and then they just up and leave and I don't get any of the cool loot for all my efforts.

Why is this happening? I don't think it's because they're despawning at the end of their respective season, I've fought them immediately both times and surely they don't only stick around for 1 day. It's day 87 in my world right now so winter shouldn't be here until day 93, yet the Bearger that I had on really low health has disappeared. :(

what reward? ds isn't in that spirit! 

I've left and come back and they are still there, ground rumbling included. it sounds like you may have a bug, but before I go there, let me ask if you have changed any of the world settings or are using any mods, and have you tried disabling the mods to see if that solves it if the latter is so? 

I think I left the deerclops for a bit and he was still there... hmm... I don't remember now. But I do have a few mods installed (always on, food values and max stacks). I will try disabling them next time I play and see if the Bearger re-appears. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hi,

Dragonfly and bear gets done when they are fed enough with ashes or food they consume and leave.

How ever deerclops needs to destroy your constructions and will stay until he gets enough of that, if he destroy enough he will leave too.

I hope this helps.

There's a mod that shows giants on your map, so you could install that to check if they're still around anywhere - I've done that occasionally when I couldn't find them and wondered if they despawned, and usually I found they were still there, just wandered off a bit.  Can't remember the name of it, might be 'More Map Icons' or 'Where's my Beefalo'.

Hi,

Dragonfly and bear gets done when they are fed enough with ashes or food they consume and leave.

How ever deerclops needs to destroy your constructions and will stay until he gets enough of that, if he destroy enough he will leave too.

I hope this helps.

What he said.

If you don't feel like you can handle Dragonfly yet, feed it 20 ashes by dropping them on the ground near it. It will fall asleep, then despawn when you run away.

What he said.

If you don't feel like you can handle Dragonfly yet, feed it 20 ashes by dropping them on the ground near it. It will fall asleep, then despawn when you run away.

That's all it takes, 20 ashes? Excuse me

*slams head against wall*

I'm going to make a bunch of gunpowder even when I start in spring or don't find enough reeds or don't find  mandrakes for...no reason whatsoever. 

What he said.

That might have been what happened to my Dragonfly. I didn't feed it any ashes, but it was burning a lot of stuff so it may have eaten too many ashes and de-spawned. But the point is, I didn't want it to go away! LOL  I had already had quite a battle with it and I wanted to finish it off.  I know that the Bearger didn't de-spawn because it ate too much food because I was fighting it all day, then put it to sleep with my pan flute and when I came back 2 minutes later he was gone. It was in a rocky biome, so there was really no food to be found.

Anyway, I tried the suggestion of disabling my mods and that didn't seem to help. Then I tried using Where's My Beefalo that says it will show giants and I didn't see anything on the map. Guess he's gone forever. Oh well. :(

That might have been what happened to my Dragonfly. I didn't feed it any ashes, but it was burning a lot of stuff so it may have eaten too many ashes and de-spawned. But the point is, I didn't want it to go away! LOL  I had already had quite a battle with it and I wanted to finish it off.  I know that the Bearger didn't de-spawn because it ate too much food because I was fighting it all day, then put it to sleep with my pan flute and when I came back 2 minutes later he was gone. It was in a rocky biome, so there was really no food to be found.

Anyway, I tried the suggestion of disabling my mods and that didn't seem to help. Then I tried using Where's My Beefalo that says it will show giants and I didn't see anything on the map. Guess he's gone forever. Oh well. :(

Yeah, if they are de-spawned, nothing will help short of console spawning/waiting for a re-spawn. You might want to disable the mods and try a new game to see if this helps or not. 

Sadly, you seem to be the only one experiencing this problem right now.

Well, there are times I wished the dragonfly would have gone away...*mutters...20 ashes, only 20 ashes...*

I believe Dragonfly (if not all of them) also pack up and go when off-screen and below a certain health threshold. I used to have this trouble with Dragonfly when I forgot to bring enough healing. 

Bearger, I left him a day's march from my camp after beating him to a pulp and came back the next day, he was still around. I did the same thing far closer to my camp and he vanished. Also, the first one I put to sleep twice with stacks of honey.

But you're not the only person experiencing that, I promise you.

I believe Dragonfly (if not all of them) also pack up and go when off-screen and below a certain health threshold. I used to have this trouble with Dragonfly when I forgot to bring enough healing. 

Bearger, I left him a day's march from my camp after beating him to a pulp and came back the next day, he was still around. I did the same thing far closer to my camp and he vanished. Also, the first one I put to sleep twice with stacks of honey.

Glad I'm wrong and nobody else was sharing this simply. 

So you're saying that I beat up the Dragonfly so badly that he ran away like a little scaredy cat? Yes, I like that answer. :D LOL!

I just need to be better prepared I guess, so that I don't have to leave during the middle of the fight and then they can't run away from me. They always catch me by suprise though and I am not a person who stays calm when faced with a giant. I instantly enter panic mode and I can't think of the things I need to grab. I need to make a panic backpack.

Anyway, thank you all for your responses! I will also be making note of that 20 ashes thing, that dragonfly battle was a toughie!

I was digging in bearger.lua and found those comments:

--Bearger has seen your base and been lured off! Despawn.
        --Or the bearger has killed you, you've been punished enough.
        --Only applies if not currently at base

And if giant sees 2+ player structures at the same time, he thinks it's base.

I tried that with dragonfly, lured it to 2 flingomatics, then lured away and run 2 screens away, it despawned.

I was digging in bearger.lua and found those comments:

--Bearger has seen your base and been lured off! Despawn.

--Or the bearger has killed you, you've been punished enough.

--Only applies if not currently at base

And if giant sees 2+ player structures at the same time, he thinks it's base.

I tried that with dragonfly, lured it to 2 flingomatics, then lured away and run 2 screens away, it despawned.

Oh man, now everything makes sense.

Yeah, I'm in a world of Seasonal Giants (manipulated by somebody in the shadow realm) where I store huge structures in my pocket for later and I can cast "magic" with the right machines to make stuff.

Yep, "sense" is the word I'd use :razz:

Well it makes sense until you hit the sanity threshold. Then Bob is no longer your uncle.

Archived