Agricture 2.0/Quality Ideas

I apologize if anyone has mentioned any of this elsewhere. I am but one person and do not have time to read through every post on the forums. If you feel like I have mentioned anything that you posted about previously, just leave a comment with a link to your post and I’ll put it here so that your thread can be seen as well.

Agricultural Update 2.0

These are some ideas that I would like to see implemented as far as an agricultural update.

• Bring back the old system as optional requirements of pressure, temperature, irrigation, and fertilizer (with the exception of those plants with additional domestic growth requirements).
    • Rather than affecting the yield, the old system would now affect how many harvests you get from the plant and the chance of getting a seed from each harvest.
      • Each plant should be limited to a maximum of 10 harvests without proper care (by default).
      • Implement the old system to benefit those who put forth the effort without punishing those who don’t want to.
        • Lower the base seed harvest chance from 33% to 20%, then increase this chance by 20% for each of the four optional requirement met.
        • The better you take care of your plant, the healthier it will be.
        • Also meeting all four requirements will cause your plant to regrow without using 1 of the 10 maximum harvests.
           If all optional requirements are met, it will continue to grow indefinitely until requirements aren't met..
      • Add a safeguard to 'balance' the system or perhaps make the system less punishing for early game -- make each total life cycle of a plant to drop a minimum of 1 seed.

Maybe this is too complicated or people might find it annoying, but I think giving us the incentive to put in effort would be good for the game. With my system - it doesn't completely punish people that don't want to put the effort in, but it does reward those of us that do want to.

Putting in the current/minimum effort would result in the following:

• Mealwood - 10 harvests at 3 days each - 30 day life cycle
  • Dusk Cap - 10 harvests at 10 cycles each - 100 day life cycle (seed harvest chance of 40% due to domestic growth requirements)
    • Still needs additional domestic growth requirement of 4Kg/cycle of Slime in order to grow within 10 cycles - Otherwise 10 harvests at 40 cycles each - 400 day life cycle
  • Pincha Pepperplant - 10 harvests at 22 cycles each - 220 day life cycle (seed harvest chance of 60% due to domestic growth requirements)
    • Still needs additional domestic growth requirements of 1Kg/cycle Phosphorite and 35Kg/cycle of Polluted Water - Otherwise 10 harvests at 88 cycles each = 880 day life cycle
  • Sleet Wheat - 10 harvests at 20 cycles each - 200 day life cycle (seed harvest chance of 60% due to domestic growth requirements)
    • Still needs additional domestic growth requirements of 4Kg/cycle Fertilizer and 20Kg/cycle of Water – Otherwise 10 harvests at 80 cycles each = 800 day life cycle
  • Thimble Reed - 10 harvests at 2 cycles each - 20 day life cycle (seed harvest chance of 40% due to domestic growth requirements)
    • Still needs additional domestic growth requirement of 160Kg/cycle of Polluted Water in order to grow within 2 cycles - Otherwise 10 harvests at 8 cycles each - 80 day life cycle

TL:DR Basically, take away the default infinite growth that is in currently and only provide it if all the optional requirements are met.

Also, to counter digging up the plant before its last harvest, they could program the planted seed to remember its remaining harvests so that when it gets replanted, it will only grow the remaining harvests rather than resetting to 10 harvests.

Quality Update - Making Quality of Food matter

Also, just an additional tidbit to make anything beyond meal wood relevant, I think that the duplicants should get a stress gain per cycle based on the difference between their food expectations and actual food consumed. I feel that 3% to 5% change per difference in food quality versus expectations would be appropriate.

• Food quality ranges from -3 to 2 as it is in game right now.
  • The penalty for not eating proper quality food is miniscule. 10% stress per cycle “while eating”. Eating takes 30 seconds out of the 600 seconds in a cycle – thus stress change of 0.5%
  • I think we need to take out the “while eating” stipulation as well as change the flat rate.
  • A duplicant’s maximum food expectation as the system is in game can be 0.
    • Feeding a duplicant with an expectation of 0 meal lice [-3 quality], would result in a stress change of 9% to 15% per cycle.
    • Conversely feeding the same duplicant a stuffed berry [+2 quality], would result in a stress change of -6% to -10% per cycle.

whatever the idea is, klei need to balance farming, right now most people use mealwood all the time without penalty
there is not much motivation upgrading farm to another food beside testing/experiment it

using more water/fertilizer is bad way to balance it, and seed drop now is very imbalance, there no way to get rid of that extra seeds

8 hours ago, Botaxalim said:

whatever the idea is, klei need to balance farming, right now most people use mealwood all the time without penalty
there is not much motivation upgrading farm to another food beside testing/experiment it

Agreed.  I'm not a path-of-least-resistance kind of player, but If I were I would never consider bothering with anything other than mealwood.  Perhaps they should do away with meal expectations and give food nutrition values which affects a dupe's immunity recovery rate.  Less nutritional meals like mush bars and meal lice could slow a dupe's immunity recovery for the day while more nutritional meals could hasten it.  Food of all qualities would still provide calories, but we'd be incentivized to grow higher quality crops to help keep our colonies healthy.

currently, mealwood only diets cause the dupes to eat smaller portions more frequently. This can put a damper on productivity, but players always evolve some mechanism to circumvent their own perception and just add more of this or that. Come to think of it, they seem to just plant more mealwood and take on more dupes, etc.

Adding variety to the menu is always good.

Archived