Defeating the Deerklops

Day 20. We were set up on the edge of a forrest. Everything was within comfortable reach: pigs and catcoons to the north, spiders and a clockwork horse to the north-west, a swamp to the north-east and three worm holes in a triangle formation just south of the base, leading to stone plains and a savanna. I had regrettably destroyed Webber's spider den a day or two earlier through over harvesting but we were otherwise doing well. Science & alchemy machines, fridge, crockpot, drying racks, and even a bird cage arranged around a stone fire pit and a number of chests. Moles frequently channeled around and through the base providing a steady supply of morsels. Webber was going mad, but he was fine with that. Gathering nightmare fuel in his disordered state. I had just crafted my first miner's hat, wondering how I'd got by without one before. 

Equipped with a new battle helmet and spear, I ventured up north to gather as many hounds teeth as I could for the inevitable showdown in the days to come. I set up a stone fire pit, near a herd of goats, and before too long, the hounds arrived. I circled around the pit, veering into the herd of now sleeping goats. This dispersed the pack, and I attacked one and two at a time, the goats finishing the rest of them off. 4 teeth. A start. At dawn, I hacked open a few bone dens, fending off the occasional doggie, which yielded far more teeth to add to my quarry.  By the end, I had 15 or so in total, a good haul. 

Just south of the base was a convenient clearing. There I began laying the traps. We added to them over a number of days. Another 7 or so. Meanwhile, Webber crafted a pan flute. He littered eggs around the bird cage, making gunpowder from the rotting shells. The days ticked by, and we whiled them away, daring to feel just a little bit confident, as Day 30 and a worthier foe approached.

Day 30, at dusk, the Deerclops arrived. We each gathered a large piece of jerky, to keep our sanity up. I put on my miner's hat. We ran from the base into the clearing. Webber set up two stone pit fires either side of our circular tooth trap mat. We were ready but where was Deerclops?

With some dread, we headed back north to find that he had already destroyed most of our base. Science machines, tent, bird cage, half of our chests were already in ruins. We found him just north parading around in post destruction pride. I rushed in with my spear and prodded him in the legs. This had the desired effect, he thundered in rage and gave pursuit. I ran, weaving a little, left and right, leading him into the clearing and straight over the traps. A number slammed shut at his hooven step. This slowed him a little but he was soon clear of them and on the attack, swiping viciously left and right. I led him away as Webber reset the traps.

With a good number reset, Webber blew a jaunty tune on the pan flute, enchanting the Deerklops to sleep. Once he was down, Webber rushed in and heaped the gun powder around him, yelling Ruuunnnn as he set it off. Not enough to do the job, but putting we hoped a dint in his stride. Again, I ran in and attacked, leading him back over the traps, the Deerklops stumbling a little as they snapped at his step, then south of the clearing so Webber could reset them again. Once more, twice more, I circled back over the traps, then round again, until on a third and final pass, the Deerklops fell. Hunks of meat and a solitary eye rained from the sky. Our mightiest foe had fallen.

I just used it on toadstool, placing is a little tricky sometimes as it wouldn't allow me to drop it close enough but I got it on the third try. Wow, down to 1,000 health instantly.   Finished him off with 10 darts.   

Tried a solo wilderness server yesterday to try get better at DST. Everything was going smoothly, with all the basic base things such as alchemy, chests, farm, birdcage, two crockpots and ice boxes. It was day 30 and I was rushing to get away from base to avoid dc spawning anywhere close to it. I brought rocks for a firepit, two thermal stones, two log suits, a hambat and some pierogis, then left through a nearby wormhole to the edge of a swamp biome. He spawned immediately.

His first order of business was destroying my firepit, which was like lmao why

I realized quickly I wasn't going to last long and needed a better strategy against his op area of effect. Trying to lure him into tentacles worked... til they froze in one hit and were quickly killed afterwards.

I chased him down with a tentacle spike in hand and weaved some attacks in while he was distracted by merms, spiders and tentacles before being caught again in his AoE at low health.

Respawning as Wigfrid, thankfully I knew the world well enough that I had an idea of where I was no matter how randomly I was spawned. I headed back into the swamp, with all the fishes and monster meat strewn about the battlefield. Armed with my battle spear and helmet, I began tanking him. Though getting frozen and very nearly dying, I managed to finish the job. My first 'solo' kill of one of the giants, with the new deerclops figure sketch to boot.

downloadfile-1.jpg

I was so triumphant and proud that I forgot to set out for the walrus camp I'd found in the early day exploring until it was too late, which I no longer knew the location of due to dying and my losing my map.

also i tried fighting moosebetch later in spring legitimately & died like 5 times & quit lmao

49 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

Why too thermal stones 

One was the one I'd been using up to that point, depleted to 50%. I made another just in case but it didn't really matter in the end haha

1 minute ago, Atkvin said:

One was the one I'd been using up to that point, depleted to 50%. I made another just in case but it didn't really matter in the end haha

You can repair them with a sewing kit 

Archived