[mod] UI Tweaks

I coded up a little mod with a couple of fixes for things that bothered me about Invisible:

-  "Precise AP":  AP is now displayed rounded to the nearest half-point. Useful for calculating whether you can make a diagonal move. 

- "I need a dollar":  Non-drone guards that spawn after level 3 now arrive with $1 in their pocket, so that they may be stolen from and marked "SEARCHED" along with the other guards.

I'm not sure if it's actually showing up on Invisible's workshop page, but here's the link:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=581951281

and here's the source if anyone's interested:

https://github.com/osheroff/ui_tweaks

Nah, so the point wasn't to auto-mark the guards for you -- if you don't remember which guards were spawned later, you still have to find a way to search them.  The point was to make it so that after you've done that once, they become searched.

in later alarm levels, sometimes you lose track of which guards were spawned and which were there at the beginning;  so you end up making the effort to search the guard, only to come up empty.  I think that's actually a good thing, as it encourages you to remember which guards were where, or else maybe you'll waste some effort and time.  The bad thing that I was trying to fix is that there was no way to mark empty guards as searched already, so in theory you might end up searching the same guard over and over.  

What? If you're not gonna search them then why do you need to know if they were there from the beginning or not?

You say you are encouraging people to remember things themselves but why would they if it just is annoying?

And then you say that you think people should make the extra effort to search a guard that has nothing?

You call this a UI mod but it certainly doesn't seem like one.

Look, here was the gameplay before this mod:

- Sneak up to a guard

- there's no steal button, but the guard is also not marked. 

- walk away.  The guard is still not marked.

And after:

- Sneak up to a guard

- There's a steal button, but the guard only has $1.   Take the dollar.

- walk away.  The guard is now marked.

See how I didn't change any of the gameplay at all?  I just made it possible to mark "empty" guards as searched.

I've posted an update to UI-tweaks that allows for re-ordering an agent's inventory items via drag and drop in the agent-upgrade screen.  Useful if you're totally nit-picky like myself and like weapons to come first, then stims, then breakers, etc, etc.

I've posted an update to UI-tweaks that allows for re-ordering an agent's inventory items via drag and drop in the agent-upgrade screen.  Useful if you're totally nit-picky like myself and like weapons to come first, then stims, then breakers, etc, etc.

You have no idea how happy this makes me.

I really like the drag drop functionality you've added to the upgrade screen between missions. Would it be possible to add this to the missions* as well?

*Inventory locations, swapping items between agents, stealing from guards, and ordering items on the ground.

Lemonymous, I took a look, and the inventory management while in-mission is a totally different code path than the between mission inventory management -- presumably due to having to refresh the agent's abilities whilst active.  So it's not impossible, but it's not trivial either, and I'd have to patch deep into bits of the game that I'd prefer not to.

So the answer is, given time and money, yes, it's possible (.  But I probably won't have the time to do it.  Patches welcome, though: https://github.com/osheroff/ui_tweaks

Lemonymous, I took a look, and the inventory management while in-mission is a totally different code path than the between mission inventory management -- presumably due to having to refresh the agent's abilities whilst active.  So it's not impossible, but it's not trivial either, and I'd have to patch deep into bits of the game that I'd prefer not to.

So the answer is, given time and money, yes, it's possible (.  But I probably won't have the time to do it.  Patches welcome, though: https://github.com/osheroff/ui_tweaks

Yes, that was what I thought as well. At least for items in the lower left corner in misisons.

What about the trade screen between agents? You can already drag items there, so I'm assuming it's using some of the same event driven systems the upgrade screen uses.

In any case, would you mind commenting your dragdrop code to show what the different pieces does? I'd be willing to look into it myself, and your knowledge about the event system would help a lot.

The trade screen between agents, the nano-fab screen and the cat screen all share a similar codebase, which is separate from the upgrade screen codebase.  The key difference is in what is moved between agents; in the context of the upgrade screen, only an items *definition* is transferred (unitDef.upgrades).  In the context of the inventory-swap or nano-fab, a fully "live" item (with cooldowns, notably) must be swapped.  

regarding code-commenting: it's reasonably well-commented already, at least for the type of hacky monkey-patch style code that it is.  Some key things to note:

- understanding the difference between unitDef vs simunit

- a unitDef's inventory is a subset of unitDef.upgrades -- you have to filter out skills and augments

- event handlers always gotta return true if they handle the event -- this one bit me a lot.

feel free to PM me here or open an issue on github if/when you get stuck

Hey osheroff, it seems like you are very good manipulating the game's UI, could I make a humble mod suggestion?

Back in the days of Invisible Inc's early access clicking on a guard displayed the guard's inventory and showed the guards animated portrait. I am more interested in the guard's animated portrait, why have an animated portrait of such quality for each guard if you can only see it while pick pocketing? Let's say that when I heard of the new plastech corp when Invisible Inc 1.0 was just about to be released I was very excited to know how this corp's new guard animated portraits would look like. It was rather disappointing when I realized I was not able to see the guard's animated portrait anymore.

Do you think this would be doable? 

In the early access version, when you clicked a guard, you "selected him", which means you would see the face where normaly the agent faces are.

@Caishcer, like where would you show the animated portrait?  

Yes, just as HumanKirby said. I would like to be able to select the guards so the guard's animated portrait appears on the area where the agent's face usually appears .

Yes, just as HumanKirby said. I would like to be able to select the guards so the guard's animated portrait appears on the area where the agent's face usually appears .

I see.  I'll poke around, but no guarantees; the mod was a winter-break project for me and I'm back to work on Monday, so probably a lot less time to goof around with Invisible.  

Archived