Huge memory spikes on worldgen

Hello

Lets start with the bug report.

Bug Submission

Please choose a category
*Pick the option that fits the issue the most. Ideally use this in your thread title aswell*

[Crash]

Platform
* Pick your platform. For instance, standalone on Mac is also possible.*

Steam

Do you use mods?
yes

Version Number

Issue title

Huge memory spikes on worldgen

Steps to reproduce

Install about 19-20 mods, maybe depending on your amount of system RAM. You don't have to enable the mods.

Describe your issue
Sorry, but this is gonna be long, but hopefully informative.

Just to be clear, this is only a problem in DS and RoG. DST does just fine with 30+ mods.

My mod has 11 variable settings, each with between 20 and 80 values (I could do with less, but why should I?). This apparently raises memory usage by 1,2GB during world generation, even when the mod is turned off. In fact, my system goes from peaking at 3,3GB in vanilla DS during worldgen, to peaking at 6,6GB with 10 mods installed (but disabled). 10 small mods (no characters or prefabs at all). That's enough for the game to crash.

If I delete my mod from the mods-folder, the game plays. If I delete 2-3 other mods, and place my mod back into the mods-folder, the game plays, even with my mod enabled. With or without my mod, I can see the memoryspikes clearly in Task Manager on my other screen. Deleting all mods, removes all the spikes.

Are all the different setting-values loaded into RAM, when only one is in use for each setting? The currently selected value is presumably saved somewhere, so why not just use that? Are they being instantiated one by one with the largest object type available? And why are they loaded even when the mods are disabled?

The author of Pond Manager is having the same issue, and has been for many months.

The game crashes at seemingly random points during worldgen or at the black screen just after. Sometimes it gives me the error-window with the message "Error processing render buffer command GenerateMap" (log1 is from one of these). Sometimes it just closes. Sometimes I get the in-game message "out of memory".

By "spike" (below) I mean above normal usage. I read the memory usage in Task Manager with the game open, just before starting worldgen, and then look at the usage during worldgen.

log1 - with my mod plus 10 others (all disabled) - game crashed - spiked about 3,3GB.txt

log2 - deleted my mod but left 10 others (disabled) - game ran fine - spiked about +2GB.txt

log3 - with ONLY my 2 mods (disabled) - game ran fine - no spikes.txt

Before my tests I painstakingly do a "Verify integrity of local files" in Steam.

Is anyone looking at this problem? Any news?
This is not happening in DST, so someone must know how to fix it. Please, please fix it, pretty please  :-)

P.S. Before you ask, I have 8GB state of the art RAM, and 2GB VRAM on my gfx-card.

It looks like one or more of the mods you've installed are causing the issue. Unfortunately, we can only provide technical support for unmodified versions of the game.

Try disabling all of your mods, then enable them one at a time to identify which one is causing the issue. You may have to contact the mod creator to inform them of your technical issue with the mod.

I have tried the other way around, deleting mods one at the time. My findings show, that it's not a particular mod. It seems that the more configurable variables a mod has, more specifically the more settings it has for its variables, the larger the spike becomes.

Fact is, without my own mod, DS doesn't hit the crash-bar, but the spike is still high. The same mod with the same code and settings (but a new modinfo with correct api-setting) makes no impact in DST at all! Not even with 3 times as many mods in DST.

I have tried the other way around, deleting mods one at the time. My findings show, that it's not a particular mod. It seems that the more configurable variables a mod has, more specifically the more settings it has for its variables, the larger the spike becomes.

Fact is, without my own mod, DS doesn't hit the crash-bar, but the spike is still high. The same mod with the same code and settings (but a new modinfo with correct api-setting) makes no impact in DST at all! Not even with 3 times as many mods in DST.

Checking the logs, the issue of the memory spike is due to the configuration settings. It has been addressed for Don't Starve Together but we have not yet been able to do so for Don't Starve. 

We are looking at this as one of the things to be ported back from Don't Starve Together to Don't Starve, but do not yet have an ETA at this time. 

On 6/23/2015 at 0:03 AM, JanH said:

Checking the logs, the issue of the memory spike is due to the configuration settings. It has been addressed for Don't Starve Together but we have not yet been able to do so for Don't Starve. 

We are looking at this as one of the things to be ported back from Don't Starve Together to Don't Starve, but do not yet have an ETA at this time. 

Any news about this, JanH? I have an awesome mod, which I cannot publish for DS/RoG/SW, because of this problem.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2015 at 5:03 PM, JanH said:

sooo... any news on when/if this might get fixed..? I've been unknowingly struggling with this bug on and off for months.. turns out it's the reason that I stopped playing single player don't starve because one of the mods I've been using (a better fishing mod or something of the sort) wasn't allowing me to create a new world, leaving me stuck on already generated worlds on saves that I no longer want to play on...

Now even worse I purchased SW all hype about having a solo experience with a completely new experience with a separate feel of my DST sever and everything is going great, I play a first 5 days to get a feel for it then I decide to check out some of the new SW only mods and lo and behold I get a out of memory crash on worldgen.

I wrote a lot more but on proof read it was just raged out nonsense.. In summation will you pretty pretty pretty please fix this and fix it sometime soon!!? I spent hours trying to trim my mod list down to 15 or so mods knowing that I've had 5x as many enabled before with no inkling of a memory problem and 10x as many on my DST server.... Honestly I'm just stupid infuriated at how much I just tried getting this stupid expansion to work and come to figure out I haven't been able to play it with mods because of a six month old bug that was swept under the rug...

I've had enough toying around with this I'm certainly not going to go check each and every mod I sub to check and see if it has more then a few mod config options in it compromising the stability of my games memory... that would be retarded but has apparently been expected for half a year... a majority of the time the mod config option menu has been released. Infuriating........

@JanH,

1 hour ago, Bryce said:

Just put out a patch that won't completely solve the problem, but it should help reduce the amount of memory used by config options during world gen. Let me know if this helps.

I LOVE you. <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

sorry for the rage rants but I spent hours the last couple days unsubing mods, finding something cool and going in this frustrating endless circle of wanting everything to be too awesome.

Archived