I would like to see an officially added way to Reserve slots on a server.  This way if the dedicated server is full I wouldn't have to kick people just use one of the Reserved slots to get in.

For anyone who doesn't know what I am talking about, many games will have a few spots on a server, that would only be accessible via a special password, or some other authenticating method.  So 3 slots on a 14 man server would only be accessible in that way, giving admins or special users access to always play. 

I am looking for this too.

Mostly for health reasons. Haha.

It's weird that a game where anything can kill you (random hounds, darkness, giants, fire, freezing) doesn't have a pause. The only option is to log out for a minute or two. But I can't leave the server to take a bathroom break or get eye drops because sometimes when I try to log back in, the server is full.

• Developer

Hello @Collectablecat,@Zuirieg,  

You don't need any mod to enable the whitelist on your server. You just need to add the following line to you settings.ini:

whitelist_slots  = X

Where X is the number of reserved slots you want. The whitelist file is in the save folder, called whitelist.txt
You need to add the KU_ID of any player you want to whitelist.

You don't need any mod to enable the whitelist on your server. You just need to add the following line to you settings.ini:

whitelist_slots  = X

Where X is the number of reserved slots you want. The whitelist file is in the save folder, called whitelist.txt

But there's no way to do this in the game itself? It would be simple to change the tab screen to show all slots on the server and the host would be able to select an option that reads "Reserve Slot". The host could then type the friend's ID if the selected slot was empty, or if it's already taken by the friend nothing more would need to be done. 

whitelist_slots  = X

Hi! I wonder if you could clarify on how this works?

For example, let's say I'm running a server with 10 slots and I add my ID to the whitelist. How does the server then behave? Does it:

a) allow only 9 players to connect, so that 1 slot is always open for me?

or

b) allow 10 players to connect, and when I try to connect it creates an 11th slot (which it closes when I disconnect)?

or

c) allow 10 players to connect, and when I try to connect it kicks a player?

Thanks!

• Developer

Hi @GoreMotel

I plan to write a full post explaining how to set up a whitelist and how it works. I hope I can do it on Monday :)
Based on what you said, the closest behavior is the a) one :)  The whitelist feature won't kick anyone, and your max_players will always stay the same.

On 16/01/2016 at 1:50 AM, Nilos said:

This does not work at all any more. Using max_players = 5 and whitelist_slots = 5 anybody could still join the server.

Or am I misunderstanding how this should work?

Edit: Seems to work for me so long as I don't set the maximum players higher than 6 !!

• Developer

Hello @Jramos, @Nilos,

You cannot reserve more slots than the number of player you have in your whitelist. For instance, if you set whitelist_slots  = 5 but only have 2 people in your Whitelist, it will behave just as if whitelist_slots  = 2

Does that explain your issues ? If not, please give more details about the size of your whitelist.txt (number of player), your max_player and whitelist_slots settings 

Thanks

Archived