[Gameplay] - Pigs Sometimes Don't Go Home at Dusk

Warhawk1

Bug Submission:

Category: Gameplay
Issue Title: Pigs Sometimes Don't Go Home at Dusk
Issue Description: Category: Gameplay

*EDIT*: This bug is now fixed. Thanks Klei!

Issue Description: Normally when it turns dusk pigs will run back to their homes and sleep for the rest of the dusk and the night. However as of January 10th, all pigs in the world will sometimes become homeless for one day cycle, for no apparent reason. They will not go home at dusk, and will instead run around aimlessly until it turns night, at which point they will sleep in place. Sometimes they will run far enough away from their home that they actually are unable to find their way back home, forcing you to go looking for them and then kill them if you want them to respawn back at their home in a few days. This is a big problem as my main base relies on pigs for protection and food, but now they're all lost in the surrounding woods.

A similar bug that I noticed was that rabbits occasionally would become homeless after spawning, not going back to their holes after I chased them or from dusk approaching.

I experienced the above bugs as a host on two different dedicated servers.
Steps to Reproduce: Happens randomly to all pigs and rabbits.

After one day cycle of being homeless, all of the pigs still near their homes will either return to them like normal when it turns dusk, or will continue to be homeless for another day. It seems random whether or not they become homeless upon the start of a new day.

I certainly hope it's soon fixed. My main world's base is on day 222 and built in a pig village that currently has over 70 pig houses in it. They normally are inside their homes on a full moon, so there's no major downside to it. However now that they all become homeless, they all transform into werepigs on a full moon, which got me absolutely destroyed one time after I had two full moons in a row with all of them outside, without me having any sound. The first time I was able to escape into the night and occasionally tap a torch on and off to easily survive, as I saw one of them early, but on the second night I was completely caught off guard (at the time I didn't know the moon phases lasted 2 nights each) and was surrounded by all 70 of them coming out of the darkness at once, killing me instantly even though I had a fairly high durability football helmet on and 300 HP as WX-78 (which was also my first death of the day 222 world and made me use my spare meat effigy). It was not a pleasant experience.

I was of the understanding they will go home if within a certain distance from the house? Pretty sure if you're real close to their house, they would go home 100% of the time?

*edit* someone noticed rabbits also not really making any effort to run to their burrows, so while the above may be true, we could indeed have some srs hometime issues with a new patch XD

Ive seen homeless merms napping near jury-rig portals.  No swamps nearby.  

I sometimes see homeless spiders napping out in the open.  Maybe their nest got burned down?

I think they should keep some element of random behavior, even if it started out as a bug.  

Maybe have the random fish plopping about near ponds or swamps for a passerby player to grab.

Maybe have a 2-5% chance pig-men will rebuild their homes elsewhere if their original home is gone.

Yes, my pigs rearly return back to their home! They go somewhere in area and don't come back to sleep in the night. I don't understand why. I think it happens when I take them to chop woods and then they don't return back to their home. But if they just live near their homes, then they can return back to homes.

I was of the understanding they will go home if within a certain distance from the house? Pretty sure if you're real close to their house, they would go home 100% of the time?

*edit* someone noticed rabbits also not really making any effort to run to their burrows, so while the above may be true, we could indeed have some srs hometime issues with a new patch XD

They're supposed to go home regardless unless you've befriended them (at which point they'll follow you during the night) or they're extremely far away (4+ screens away) from their home. The only exception to this rule was when you left a pig at his home during the day, causing him to freeze in place due to the way DS handles mobs, and then return to the pig house during the night. He'd then unfreeze and sleep in place. Otherwise they're supposed to return to their home. However due to this bug, they usually don't return to their home at all, and will instead just run around during the dusk and sleep outside at night even if they're close to their homes. This leads to them potentially running so far from their home that they got lost and never return, and causes them to all become werepigs on a full moon every time (which is devastating if your base is in a large pig village).

Archived