Ranged combat ideas

what do people with about ranged combat.  A simple projective based skill shot system could do this game a lot of good.  I personally find the combat system awful.  Its a janky akward strike and move system.

I think combat could look something like this,

---melee---

Just a straight up stat battle (no more hurky jerky dodging, if you are next to ememy when swing starts you get hit)

*exception would be large bosses whos melee should have a windup time that melee could dodge

---ranged---

harder to craft and do less damage than melee counter part

would be aimed/with projectile speeds

new range weapons

tier 1 sling shot (rock ammo)

tier 2 bow (arrows)

tier 3 musket (bullets)

tier X magic staffs

single throw/ reuslable on pick up

throwing spear

boomerang

Let's discuss this...

So, melee like in games such as Dota, LoL...

"Stat Battle" as in using Stats, would require a Leveling system... now does that really sound like Don't Starve?

Each character has their own strengths and weaknesses for balance... if you can level up Wendy and get her "AP" on par with Wolfgang's or stronger, add Abigail, then that would be... kinda awesome, but very bad for those who're just getting in the servers... especially for PvP...

Kiting takes skill and practice so if you want to take that out, then that says something... just saying...

but that's just me...

Ranged combat...

We have the boomerang, 2 combat staves and 3 types of blow darts: *fire, *sleep, and... *pipe...

Now most of these are already very deadly for Mobs: incapacitating them by freezing, sleep... burning them making them hysterical, and just general blow-your-head-off amount of damage... I'm not s sure that these should be tweaked much... plus I think the blow darts can be avoided...

if you know how...

take McTusk... have you tried to dodge his darts?

I am, however, up for new ranged weapons (but issues WILL arise, I guarantee it, so I'll just say what they could be):

Sling shot: I like it, but how will it be crafted and used?

Will it be a separate object from its ammo?

so, you'll have to carry the sling shot and a whole stack of rocks, (2 inventory slots)... ok... but will the sling shot have durability?

Bow and arrows: that has to be one of the most requested items... *comment will be ditto for the slingshot...

Musket: Now we have a new purpose for gun powder! but I think maybe have the same issues as the Long Pig... idk... so again, musket (with durability I hope), gunpowder, bullets... (or make bullets with gunpowder... but it is a musket...) sound good?

but then it should have a long cool down... it'll be powerful, but would have to go through a long animation of putting the gunpowder in, then the ball, tap, tap, tap... then shoot... idk...

Magic Staves: we already have ice and fire (and other utility staves from the ruins... and the telelocator)

Single Throw/Reusable on pick up: Boomerang :| have you built one yet? 1x charcoal, 1x boards, 1x silk... alchemy engine to construct.

Throwing spear: I guess you could make the spear we have now do that... you could make a different function... making it so that throwing it takes more durability out of it... probably make the equipped one clickable like the Bush Hat or Snurtle Armor...

So, there...

:willowilson:

I believe the combat would be at its best if closest to the 2d zelda games. You can throw your swings out at thin air, or aim ahead of a target to land a projectile. Would probably also work really fine for pvp, for those that are into that.

I'm curious if this could in fact be modded in, but it sounds as a major undertaking, and also network resource-intensive.

The current combat mode is integral to the way DS is designed and balanced.  Changing it would be a major undertaking that would fundamentally alter the balance of the game in a lot of big ways.  

What makes combat in DS exciting isn't the combat itself, but how well prepared for the combat you are and how well you execute.  You can die to a single spider or take down Deerclops unscathed depending on those two factors.

A bow, however, wouldn't be "tribal" feeling enough for don't starve, I feel.

You do realize that you're talking about a game where you jaunt down the path w/ a golden cane and top hat while munching on bacon and eggs, admiring how well your lightning rod is protecting your giant thermal measurer so that you know the exact temperature for the day, yeah?

And it's... a bow and arrow that isn't "tribal" enough for you?  Maybe throwing spears like that one mod that adds them?

You do realize that you're talking about a game where you jaunt down the path w/ a golden cane and top hat while munching on bacon and eggs, admiring how well your lightning rod is protecting your giant thermal measurer so that you know the exact temperature for the day, yeah?

I'm now laughing pretty hard. Thanks

Archived