Help! Shank 2 PC version is not saving the levels.

dolle

I did an

strace -o log ./shank2-bin
to diagnose the problem. Seems like the game does not correctly handle if subdirectories in the ~/.klei/shank2 folder does not exist:

stat("/home/ulrik/.klei/shank2/users", 0x7fff35ecdfd0) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)open("/home/ulrik/.klei/shank2/users", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)stat("./", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0775, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0stat("./", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0775, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0stat("/home/ulrik/.klei/shank2", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0700, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0stat("/home/ulrik/.klei/shank2", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0700, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0...[snip]...open("/home/ulrik/.klei/shank2/users/savegame.sav", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC, 0600) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

A quick fix is to just create the folders youself. cd into ~/.klei/shank2 and create the folders:

cd ~/.klei/shank2mkdir usersmkdir log

I did an

to diagnose the problem. Seems like the game does not correctly handle if subdirectories in the ~/.klei/shank2 folder does not exist:
stat("/home/ulrik/.klei/shank2/users", 0x7fff35ecdfd0) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)open("/home/ulrik/.klei/shank2/users", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)stat("./", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0775, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0stat("./", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0775, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0stat("/home/ulrik/.klei/shank2", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0700, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0stat("/home/ulrik/.klei/shank2", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0700, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0...[snip]...open("/home/ulrik/.klei/shank2/users/savegame.sav", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC, 0600) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
A quick fix is to just create the folders youself. cd into ~/.klei/shank2 and create the folders:
Confirmed working with Windows 8.Download the new zip file from Humble Bundle (if you got the game from there like I did)On the Shank2 folder, create those directories dolle mentioned.Play the game!A very quick way to see if it's working is start the game, choose Survival, skip the tutorial and exit. There should be a settings.sav file on the users folder you just created, and the next time you pick survival, it won't ask you to see the tutorial again.Edit: Forgot to say, thanks dolle for providing this fix. Edited by cole
credit where credit is due

I did an

Hi,This solution works great for me. I am on a Linux Mint 64 bits. However, my game still does not want to save the controlls. My keyboard is AZERTY so I tried to change the settings to fit my keyboard. But after I quit the game I need to change them again.Does anyone have the same issue?edit: btw I tried with the last version found on humblebundle webpage (shank2-linux-update3-1357159966.tar.gz) Edited by Titi

Hi,This solution works great for me. I am on a Linux Mint 64 bits. However, my game still does not want to save the controlls. My keyboard is AZERTY so I tried to change the settings to fit my keyboard. But after I quit the game I need to change them again.Does anyone have the same issue?edit: btw I tried with the last version found on humblebundle webpage (shank2-linux-update3-1357159966.tar.gz)

I just tried changing the controls, and it doesn't work for me neither. I can see, however, that the file ~/.klei/shank2/users/settings.sav is actually created (it's binary though, so I can't see whether the contents are correct). Using strace does not indicate that any other folders or files are missing, so this seems like a bug that doesn't have an immediate quick-fix, unfortunately. Edited by dolle
grammar

I see the same think with update 3. The controls are not saved... Gessh, are these things actually tested? I bought the humble bundle for fun, but getting this to work actually feels like work... Please open source the code so we can fix it. :-P

Another thing I see is the default gamepad controls leave "dodge left" and "dodge right" unassigned ("none selected"). I think on the original version they would default to the right stick (which is what makes sense). It'd be good to bring that back (leaving unassigned is just silly), though it's minor.

I just tried changing the controls, and it doesn't work for me neither. I can see, however, that the file ~/.klei/shank2/users/settings.sav is actually created (it's binary though, so I can't see whether the contents are correct). Using strace does not indicate that any other folders or files are missing, so this seems like a bug that doesn't have an immediate quick-fix, unfortunately.

Still happening with the last version "shank2-linux-update5-1357333136.tar.gz"edit: It is now good with the shank2-linux-update7 version!!! Edited by Titi

if someone has still not figured it out, the following worked for me on Windows 8

create a folder called users in the Shank 2 game folder(not in saved games or my documents)

for eg. if you have installed shank2 to:

c:\games\shank2

create the folder:

c:\games\shank2\users

In this folder I put a saved game(the .sav file) I downloaded from http://www.savemygame.fr/en/start-download/s/1053-pc-shank-2-by-bigsmoke.html for testing and it worked.

the saved game file will be at

c:\games\shank2\users\savegame.sav

tc