Finally made it to 100 days a..

Finally made it 100 days after 461 hours of trying.  I hate dying so many of my games end after dying the first time, so this is the first time I have made it without dying.  This is on the Non-ROG DS with berry bushes set to more.  I also have the touchstones set to more also, but mostly to get pig skins and wood flooring.  This forum has been a great help, getting through the learning curve.

I have found that the first year is critical, after that you just have to not do stupid things and you won't die.

oh, I usually like to play with Wilson or Wickerbottom.

I do things a little differently than some here.  Most say explore the whole outline of the world.  What I do is explore until I get to what I feel is the middle of the world, find a good location, grass, trees, twigs, and berries, lots of flowers in the area is nice also.  Then I start my base with a fire pit and a science machine.

After that I follow the roads around until I find the Beefalos and Chess Biome.  By following the roads I have found that Chester usually resides at the end of one of the paved roads and you can usually find the Chess Biome after getting past the Killer Bee Hives.  By starting many games over by the 20 day mark, I have found this to be the best way of getting past the first winter.  You have Beefalo wool and gears early in the first season, so you can set up Science and Alchemy machines, crock pots, and refrigeration, and also have some farms, drying racks by day 12.

Of course there is a lot more to it, but it would take me hours to write up what I've learned and I'd rather play the game.

My best tip:

If you can setup camp within close distance to a bee hive farm, you can use the flowers to help get through the insanity drain of winter.  Flowers are better for insanity than health.  Don't pick them unless you need the insanity bump.  So after I set up camp I try to capture butterflies and replant them around my base to increase the number of flowers.

Hope you survive many seasons.

You basically put my playstyle in a nutshell. :applouse:

They only real difference is that I put my money on living near a pig village:

EDIT: "near" is relative due to roads. I just want to be within ~20 seconds travel time

• Getting rid of the spiders rather early provides me with a good amout of silk (top hat for sanity, rather than flowers) and monster meat (getting a bird cage early is good for bacon&eggs, and easy with Wickerbottom).
  • During (non-RoG) summer pigs are usually there to protect against hound waves.
  • The pig king can be helpful to get gold for a science machine (less important to Wickerbottom) and a bird cage (sorry, but Wickerbottom players need one).

The only real drawback is that the village is rarely in close proximity to a lot of rabbits or bees, so food is more difficult than in your strategy.

If you feel very confident, but don't want to/can't enable RoG, try turning hound waves and wasp hives up. I really like this combo because the hounds are much more threatening (but not annoying) early on and don't ramp up crazy after day 100, and wasp hives discourage exploration early on, which leaves nasty surprises for later ;) I get bored otherwise, so it's good.

But most importantly: You made it!

:happypigs:such food :juggling:much bees :happypigs:

wow

I do play RoG and will move to there next after I finish out this world.  I still need to explore the caves and ruins, which I have only recently just started.  Never been to the ruins yet so there's that still to do.  I'm not out for super difficulty, but I ready to try out the 4 seasons and RoG again.  And I'm currently trying the adventure mode, but I'm still on the first world.

Congratulations on making it past 10o days! and i see you learned the official Don't Starve World Motto:

Don't Starve--Don't do stupid things and you won't die the first year! :-)

(This is going here now thanks! :-)

One thing:

Insanity can be countered by flowers and garlands...when first starting out. By the time you've established a permanent base however, you should use other methods to maintain sanity. Unless playing Wickerbottom, use Tents (and Siesta Lean To's) instead. Before you have enough resources, you can use straw rolls instead. 

Crick pots are also vital, besides cooked green mushrooms, make Pumpkin cookies and Taffy to regain sanity. 

Finally, once you've really learned to survive winter, you can go after Mactusk with boomerangs and blow darts. Eventually he will drop his Tam O' Shanter. Use it. Not only is it a Tier 3 cold item, but it is one of the best (headgear) sanity restoring items in the game! This is also when you start making sewing kits to sew later  (restore 5 day's durability in the future.) 

Congratulations on making it past 10o days! and i see you learned the official Don't Starve World Motto:

One thing:

Insanity can be countered by flowers and garlands...when first starting out. By the time you've established a permanent base however, you should use other methods to maintain sanity. Unless playing Wickerbottom, use Tents (and Siesta Lean To's) instead. Before you have enough resources, you can use straw rolls instead. 

Crick pots are also vital, besides cooked green mushrooms, make Pumpkin cookies and Taffy to regain sanity. 

Finally, once you've really learned to survive winter, you can go after Mactusk with boomerangs and blow darts. Eventually he will drop his Tam O' Shanter. Use it. Not only is it a Tier 3 cold item, but it is one of the best (headgear) sanity restoring items in the game! This is also when you start making sewing kits to sew later  (restore 5 day's durability in the future.) 

Thanks, I learned most of what I needed to make it from reading your informative posts in other threads.  By making to now 110 days I've gone through 2 winters and have about 100 hounds teeth, 15 Tusks,  and 50 spider silk, about 5 tamoshanter .  Insanity is not a problem with Wilson with a Tam and Dapper vest which I sub with a Puffy Vest when venturing out in the winter.  I use two thermal stones I leave one charged at my base and grab it for quick return to collecting needed resources and winter exploring.  Does anyone know if carrying two thermal stones extends your time available?  

My tip was primarily for new users, most of you are probably so removed from just starting the game that you probably don't remember your early games where you had to fight off the fire stealer all night.  At least if you camp where there are a few flowers before it goes dark they can get you through the night with 4 points for each one.  I agree after the first winter and making it through the first year you should have everything you need to survive.  Then its a matter of discovery and building.

I have paused my world to go adventuring and have found that conserving sanity is much harder there.  Well everything is harder there.  It has the rain of frogs which I hate, but I'm learning if I hang out where they attack and get attacked by various mobs, there is a lot of free food if I'm fast.  Anyway good thing I'm retired and have a lot of time to waste.

One thing:

all valid methods for sanity, but personally I prefer just subsisting on a diet of jerky. it's really a cure all. you can get drying racks plenty early enough for winter, and killing koalaphants isn't THAT hard.  (Hit four times and run!)

all valid methods for sanity, but personally I prefer just subsisting on a diet of jerky. it's really a cure all. you can get drying racks plenty early enough for winter, and killing koalaphants isn't THAT hard.  (Hit four times and run!)

Killing koalefants ins't even that hard, you can strike them five times easily, six times if you time it properly.

Well done OP!

One small tip for cave:if you find bunnymen village, there is a big chance that you will find cave spider den. You know what that means! The ruins sinkhole! That place is full of magical, and overpowering items which you wish you could get on day one.

Good luck unlocking Maxwell. 

Archived