Crippling and persistent Offline Split Screen Lag

Precious Island
  • Pending

I'm getting terrible lag even in an offline split screen game with only two players. Are there any workarounds/fixes for this? I'm playing a game with two local players on one XboxOne.

Steps to Reproduce
Simply playing the game in an offline split screen mode, beginning new games, novice survival no further than Day 35 or so.
  • Sad 1

User Feedback

I don't play split screen, but with two other people. It is laggy all the time, but the more people you play with , the laggier it becomes. Having more than two people in a server for me makes kiting almost impossible.

I thought that even if you were palying offline, you had to use Klei servers to play, so maybe that is why it is laggy?

Share this comment

On 11/6/2017 at 12:33 PM, Master Wolf said:

I don't play split screen, but with two other people. It is laggy all the time, but the more people you play with , the laggier it becomes. Having more than two people in a server for me makes kiting almost impossible.

I thought that even if you were palying offline, you had to use Klei servers to play, so maybe that is why it is laggy?

So if I pull my internet cable, it won't work at all? Maybe adjusting the ports like it says here would help then: 
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/network-ports-used-xbox-live

Share this comment

I would try doing that, but for me, this is the only online game that I have played on the xbox with that much lag. And I use an ethernet cable to connect my xbox.

Share this comment

For mee too, impossible to play local game splitscreened or not... every 5 minutes 2 hard lags.

Console have ethernet cable, ... 100mbit internet. 

Please fix that!

Edited by Likin

Share this comment

Hi, guys. I tried adjusting the ports as above and it made things a little better but still experiencing significant lag.
I'm thinking it may not be connectivity related? I've noticed that most days in the game kick off with a long stretch of heavy lag in a split screen game, during which time the wheel and pulley icon appears in the bottom right corner. The game labours until the pulley disappears (which in some seasons can be half or most of the daylight hours so pretty crippling).
I don't know what the game is doing at this time but it shouldn't be grinding the game to a halt.

Share this comment

If you have the original Xbox, it is contributing to the lag. I can confirm that my friends that have an Xbox One S experience less lag than me. But the connection to the Klei servers is still the main issue.

Share this comment

Same issue.  Becomes crippling at Day 200 - half the day is lagging, rubber banding, and makes dying so much easier.  

Attention to this issue would be appreciated.  

Share this comment

This. Yes.  

This issue has been driving me nuts. I only play dst couch co op with my wife. I purchased on PS4 originally. Game starts rubber banding during saves. It’s more or less an extension of night b/c you can’t really play.

I buy Linksys ea9500 figuring “if I spend this much i should narrow down some issues. Good router, and I’m getting 100Mb down and 10 up.

I look into the 1tb Xbox one X and one justification I make is “well it’s a stronger machine, should play dst better in some aspects... performance, looks, somehow”. So I buy the same game over again.  I check Xbox network connections for connected, multiplayer, and NAT, all good.

Lag issue worse on the xbonex than it is on PS4 no pro.

So I delete WiFi from xbonex and pull Ethernet. I create a new world in a completely offline environment. Multiplayer with the wife and exact same issues. It’s not a router/modem/cable/bandwidth issue at all. It’s a game issue. I say this as someone who loves the game and is also a junior programmer (so I know enough to break stuff).

On the PS4, I never noticed the warnings in the middle of the screen that I do on the Xbox one x.  For lack of better wording, on the xbonex in the middle of the split screen I see two “plugs”/“forks with no middle tongs”/connection icons  that are facing each other top and bottom.  This will show a bolt in between at times, and other times it will show something in the “plug”, I believe.

nothing is blocking heat vents or stacked on the Xbox.  Digital download so no disk.  

SOOO fricken frustrating to have to watch your little robot do the moonwalk all over the screen while everything catches up.  Will you end up surrounded by angry beefalo??? Please hold.  

It always seems to show the gears chugging away as well.  This continues for beyond half the day (days set to very long, world size huge... which I noticed wasn’t an option on the PS4.)

Once again, love Klei and their new games are amazing as well. I’ve bought don’t starve on pc, don’t starve together on PS4, and Don’t starve together on Xbox one X. I love this game and have played with the wife in multi player well over a few thousand days.

I’m not going to make any more purchases for this franchise however, until this is addressed and resolved. I’ve chased the issue through too many forums and google searches and across too many platforms.

offline, no network, Xbox one x multiplayer split screen couch co op is unplayable. We’re 22 days into a new world and already having issues.  We load a new world, I start outlining to find middle for base while she collects random stuff. I’m always the robot and she is wickerbottom.  Day 10ish we usually have a world outline and start building. Randomly, not every morning, maybe every 3-5th, connection warnings and moonwalking. 

Memory leak?

Disable autosave in offline mode?

For the love of god please fix! Don’t make me go back to a life of diablo 3!

Edited by DidUReboot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

I have an xbox one x with 300Mb internet. I have no issue with any other game.  As mentioned above I have constant lag while split screen. I have also purchased the game for ps4, my iPad, and PC but would like to be able to play split screen when the kids are playing on the ps4 and PC doesn't support split screen. I have been a computer technician all my life and not seen support like this where a company could care less about their largest product on a major platform. I can submit a bug report but can't add comments what the problem is and there is no response. I really think this could be a very cool game in vr but would not want Klei at this point to have anything to do with it. 

• Like 1

Share this comment

On 5/3/2018 at 5:23 PM, DidUReboot said:

This. Yes.  

This issue has been driving me nuts. I only play dst couch co op with my wife. I purchased on PS4 originally. Game starts rubber banding during saves. It’s more or less an extension of night b/c you can’t really play.

I buy Linksys ea9500 figuring “if I spend this much i should narrow down some issues. Good router, and I’m getting 100Mb down and 10 up.

I look into the 1tb Xbox one X and one justification I make is “well it’s a stronger machine, should play dst better in some aspects... performance, looks, somehow”. So I buy the same game over again.  I check Xbox network connections for connected, multiplayer, and NAT, all good.

Lag issue worse on the xbonex than it is on PS4 no pro.

So I delete WiFi from xbonex and pull Ethernet. I create a new world in a completely offline environment. Multiplayer with the wife and exact same issues. It’s not a router/modem/cable/bandwidth issue at all. It’s a game issue. I say this as someone who loves the game and is also a junior programmer (so I know enough to break stuff).

On the PS4, I never noticed the warnings in the middle of the screen that I do on the Xbox one x.  For lack of better wording, on the xbonex in the middle of the split screen I see two “plugs”/“forks with no middle tongs”/connection icons  that are facing each other top and bottom.  This will show a bolt in between at times, and other times it will show something in the “plug”, I believe.

nothing is blocking heat vents or stacked on the Xbox.  Digital download so no disk.  

SOOO fricken frustrating to have to watch your little robot do the moonwalk all over the screen while everything catches up.  Will you end up surrounded by angry beefalo??? Please hold.  

It always seems to show the gears chugging away as well.  This continues for beyond half the day (days set to very long, world size huge... which I noticed wasn’t an option on the PS4.)

Once again, love Klei and their new games are amazing as well. I’ve bought don’t starve on pc, don’t starve together on PS4, and Don’t starve together on Xbox one X. I love this game and have played with the wife in multi player well over a few thousand days.

I’m not going to make any more purchases for this franchise however, until this is addressed and resolved. I’ve chased the issue through too many forums and google searches and across too many platforms.

offline, no network, Xbox one x multiplayer split screen couch co op is unplayable. We’re 22 days into a new world and already having issues.  We load a new world, I start outlining to find middle for base while she collects random stuff. I’m always the robot and she is wickerbottom.  Day 10ish we usually have a world outline and start building. Randomly, not every morning, maybe every 3-5th, connection warnings and moonwalking. 

Memory leak?

Disable autosave in offline mode?

For the love of god please fix! Don’t make me go back to a life of diablo 3!

I am a hardware guy instead of software and feel the same way. Must be a bad memory leak as it gets worse and worse the further into the game you get till it's nothing but lag. Only in split screen with my wife. Xbox one x and I've searched for a fix. I think the reporting process needs enhanced. Thank you for the great game but please fix this issue Klei!

Share this comment

16 hours ago, tigdrew said:

I am a hardware guy instead of software and feel the same way. Must be a bad memory leak as it gets worse and worse the further into the game you get till it's nothing but lag. Only in split screen with my wife. Xbox one x and I've searched for a fix. I think the reporting process needs enhanced. Thank you for the great game but please fix this issue Klei!

@tigdrew Here is the best advice I can give you.

Don't waste a year expecting a fix like i did. 

Here are some of the dev quotes on this issue:

"Your issue is very specific and while I am aware it really sucks for you, we didn't get a lot of complaints about it" (except for every single review on the Xbox store).....

"I am also aware that we aren't as good with supporting consoles as we should be. We are aware of this and we are working to correct it, however it does take time." (yeah not much has changed here)

"we're extremely limited on how well we can react to console issues." (yah think!?)

"The team is grinding away at catch up Xbox and PS4 with the events so that we can bring Christmas to console this year. 
You're next up in the order of priority and we're hoping to submit Winter's Feast for Cert shortly. I'll be sure to follow up with you as soon as I know more." (AKA.... we're focused on how we can generate revenue and how we can completely break the console environment (see latest update).

The funny part (well not really THAT funny) is that after a year of having this brought to their attention, I still do not believe any of them have even attempted to plug an XboneX in and sat down and tried to play the game. It's easier for them to load up their tools and deem it as a non-issue than it is to figure out where to plug the hdmi in.

I gave them a year to show progress. I went from complaining in a forum to having a respectable conversation with the devs, to here.... all with zero progress made. 

So to ensure you don't go down the same path that I did.... "these aren't the devs you're looking for". Hopefully you and the spouse have another game you enjoy playing.

I have respect for them as people, but as a company they've lost my faith.

Here is a list of other people complaining about this exact issue, but yeah, I'm sure it's a "non-issue" related to me. (eye roll).

image.thumb.png.67c7ff62bd77876da649a59b840b5349.png

image.thumb.png.43d3765a9b2f5241e465fc4888fbbf75.png

image.thumb.png.1e378ea6c63e299c2af296707185ec1e.png

image.thumb.png.e12e55bc87c9f6c5f39412e7d1ab60d1.png

image.thumb.png.45e91affdee197c9435a03df9d18efe8.png

image.thumb.png.9cc6b6d37b560fdf904ef000d5c87ff3.png

image.thumb.png.05c15097f0e742074173788ec6b76cdc.png

image.thumb.png.491170cdfadd93726ca27d25ca7f0fc8.png

image.thumb.png.cf60d0d2a872edc571696a92f8f1105d.png

image.thumb.png.b69fd46ecd329a1be4b32fcdfe46bc8e.png

image.thumb.png.733b214446f8823c651aa87811e73ca2.png

image.thumb.png.e5a6831d42fe1ee87c979e7073a8adec.png

image.thumb.png.ad1172ad3842e750a7c50b54c4b20e4a.png

image.thumb.png.1a65a477f72083e0fdfff77fc1a690a9.png

image.thumb.png.b2363055c60a319d746ea821453fb34b.png

image.png.24d6165dc32fa603e3a5d578a460484a.png

Share this comment

Has anybody tried anything that helped reduce the lag, like changing map sizes or changing other settings?  If the devs are unable to fix it at this time maybe we can find ways to make it playable till they have a working fix.  Just trying to play a game with a friend and not here to report a problem that everybody knows about.

Share this comment

They dont care about it any more. They now try to sale New skins and characters but how even use them in a broken game? The problem was raported in 2017 and its still pending this is joke. 

Share this comment

I have this same issue. Love to play DST with husband, local two player mode.  Lag is getting too frustrating.  I am very sad to see it has been an issue for so long worth no resolution.  Doesn't give me confidence to buy more games in the future. We only play on Xbox one.

Share this comment

Hey guys, I know this thread seems long forgotten, but I'm playing on PS4 slim with the GF on split screen and having the same problem. We got to day 31 and just couldn't kite out the 'Dearclops' if our actual lives depended on it, and it wasn't for lack of skill or trying. I think I have a minor solution, but it's speculation at this point. Some of you guys are what I'd call "Geeks" in the best way, so maybe you'll follow me on these "Sugesstions" I haven't tried yet, but just may work. I know this is allot and it's kinda unnecessary, so go ahead and skip down a bit if you want to get to the main points.

Movingforward, here I'd like to offer context to my thought process. So, do any of you remember the old, old game called "Black and White"? That game where you play a Greek god that controls every aspect of a civilization and controls a big a** wolf/lion/(another creature I can't remember) as an Avatar that you train to help you manage your heathens while deciding if you'll be a god of wrath or love? Yeah, I found an underground copy of it some time ago because the company that owned the rights went belly up and no one bought the tittle/deeds of the game and has not made a valid copy sense windows 98. Someone made a shady plugin/mod to make it run on windows 8. Playing it in windows 10, it definitely had issues. The issues being..? A memory leak the size of Panama Canal. The game would run for about 15-20 minutes before finally crashing just seconds after texture failure. So, the solution was to save the game at about the 10-15 minute mark religiously, and restart the program. Now, I'm talking about a game that was programed entirely for 16-32 bit OS and DDR 2 hardware that I found a plug for to run on a 64bit OS and DDR 3 hardware. It just isn't going to line up right especially if someone that barley knows what they are doing makes a patch which is never reworked to follow up on any unforseen problems or OS updates.

So, I think the same thing is happening on these consoles as was happening to me using the Jailbroken/Pirated/Rescued "Black and White" game. Don't Starve was originally made for PC, then slapped into Linux chipsets that use custom OS compared to Windows/Popular-Fruit OS that use "Standard" chipsets. So, that being all said, I've noticed that before "rubber banding" occurs in our game, 'Spiders' start walking past that basic box 'Trap' without even triggering it. Another thing I've noticed, is that this doesn't happen imidiatly after we relaunch the server, but will start happening again before too long. So, we come to the first "Suggestion". Now, Should the actual Geeks in the community come back, you'll probably call on some crap. This is just a story of how I came up with this bologna and how I figure on it. So don't go off too badly.

1) Before you expect to deal with mob spawn events such as hound attacks or Dearclops spawn, restart the server. It seems it takes about 5-7 days for 'Spiders' to start slipping by 'traps' on our PS4 local sever. Perhaps start with the restart increment of 7 days, or whenever you notice a broken hitbox.

2) Should "Suggestion 1" not work, try going as far as to restart the game. However, in my opinion, if a server rendition being re-rendered doesn't show any improvement to multiplayer lag, restarting the whole game may not work either. It seems to be a good idea on paper though...

3) Even though the second player loses all aspect of game difficulty, before a mob spawn event, restart the server without 'Player 2' and fight the mob(s) solo.

NOTE: If "Suggestion 1" and "Suggestion 2" have no effect on game performance, should 'Player 1' fail in "Suggestion 3", naturally, 'Player 2' and the server/save are doomed if there is no 'Telltale Heart' or 'Touchstone' available upon 'Player 1' death. PERFORM AT YOUR OWN RISK if you're desperate enough.

4) Bum-rush ranged weapons, healy items, and 'Log Suit'(s). My favorite ranged weapon is the 'Boomerang', however given the scenario, and having already killed myself once by "no-catch" lag, you would have to work hard to get "Blowdarts". Easiest way I think would bet to 'Bugnet' some 'Bee'(s) instead of following kite patterns. Perhaps in some instances a change of play style can help.

5) Avoid starting unnecessary timers. Try and gather exactly what you know you will need. The idea is less timer updates, the less lag. This is another play style changer, but it's an idea. However this is probably a completely useless idea being what's likely happening is lag from a report order like Svr-->P1-->Svr-->P2-->Svr Instead of Svr-->P1,P2-->Svr. If the former is the case, perhaps this will kinda help in that less memory is being "transferred" from player to player. I've watched as on my side of the screen I've got some lead on the other character, but on their screen they are right next to me, so it kinda makes sense. PS4 chipset has dedicated DDR3 for CPU and DDR4 for GPU while Xbox chipset has shared DDR5 between CPU and GPU. That would explain why Xbox has the worst of it in this scenario. If the devs wanted to fix this, I'd suggest stop sharing timer info and only share depleted/renewed triggers to start. Now, I haven't seen the code (nor would I totally understand it) so this might actually be a hard fix depending on how the local server is generated and executed. I'm just speculating off the cuff.

Now, I'm going to restate that I'm only putting this junk up having not tested it myself yet because it seems the problem is drastically worse on Xbox then PS and if any of this garbage happens to work, I think it is important to get the ideas to the people that need the help the most. 

Edited by Corn.Sandwich
A little more context and thoughts into my last suggestion.

Share this comment