Unknown heat source inside steam room

warflion
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Fixed

Hi, I have this standard steam turbine temp regulator setup, but the temp inside steam room seems bugged, it stayed ~200° with no obvious heat injection. Am I missing anything?

Screen shot, savefile, player log attached.

Thanks in advance

Edit: I think most of the steam turbine temp regulator broke on this save file.

Player.log

image.png

尾巴一翘16 Cycle 1715.sav

Steps to Reproduce

load the save file and move to Frigial, steam turbine is right there.

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

I have similar issue, but also I have experienced a temperature groth within the steam chamber up to 400C with no reason when Thermo Aquatuner gor entombed by dirt cooked into tile of sand.

There's definitely a temperature issue within 404C and 1010C as per my other Error report.

image.thumb.png.b4128764d1a38e616db6389a1572f651.png

UPDATE:

I have let the game run for a few cycles to drop the temp to 357.5C:

image.thumb.png.c0cf597e5a075cc9c33a9c70204d588e.png

I have then constructed Thermo Aquatuner, but left it disabled by Automation grid and within 1.5 cycles the temperature has risen to 442.9C which has no sense as there is no other hear source:

image.thumb.png.e8ea49df62d3684b09bfc7d7b0663142.png

There's definitely a bug here, that's quite serious.

I've re-uploaded save and log.

output_log.txt Digginwood.sav

Edited by Eldenissio
Update of the issue after testing

Share this comment

p.s. Any Temp Shift plate I tried to construct in the steam chamber got instantly heated up to 404 degrees and haven't brought temperature down even a fraction of the degree. Steam is broken :(

Share this comment

We fixed a couple temperature related bugs in the recent update to the testing branch so this is likely related but neither should be causing this. Does it also happen on the default branch (not testing)?

I'll look into it on Monday. Any additional details would be much appreciated.

• Thanks 2

Share this comment

2 hours ago, EricKlei said:

We fixed a couple temperature related bugs in the recent update to the testing branch so this is likely related but neither should be causing this. Does it also happen on the default branch (not testing)?

I didn't test it on default branch.

But the one steam turbine i ran on Gravani to cool down liquid sulphur was running stable for couple hundred cycles and only to break recently after test branch update. 

Share this comment

15 hours ago, EricKlei said:

I've experienced this issue with some, but not all Steam turbine + Aquatuner cooling setups.

The ones that have no problems (yet) are on Iron Volcano (Frozen) asteroid and run on petroleum, the one in question has Polluted Water going through aquatuner.

I'll see if I can revert back to Live branch and replicate.

P.s. still have this temperature issue on the same asteroid:

Edited by Eldenissio
Update to related bug.

Share this comment

Here's what @Ipsquiggle said in today's update regarding out investigation into this issue:

I'd also like to add a note about a fix that went on to the Testing Branch last week: "Fixed an issue where sometimes a geyser's output would transition the wrong element, which made it appear as if a different element was being emitted". The bug caused elements to state transition using the wrong material properties. In the geyser case that meant steam would cool into methane. In more "normal" cases, it could cause an element to transition based on the wrong state (transition happens on wrong frame) or to transition using incorrect thermal properties (energy created or destroyed). In most cases this shouldn't matter and in fact it's not noticeable during normal play, but scenarios where there are lots of rapid state transitions will behave considerably differently now. One such example is compact steam turbine setups, which may exhibit much different levels of efficiency than before and require tweaking.

This means the simulation has changed but hopefully most existing configurations work. The Steam Turbines might require extra cooling since they are working harder. Please let us know if there are certain builds that no longer work or if any have improved.

@Eldenissio, I haven't had a chance to look at the poor temperature transfer issue you reported but it's unrelated to the recent bug fixes since it was reported before they went out. I've got a few tasks that need my attention so it might take a bit before I can look at it.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

8 hours ago, EricKlei said:

Here's what @Ipsquiggle said in today's update regarding out investigation into this issue:

This means the simulation has changed but hopefully most existing configurations work. The Steam Turbines might require extra cooling since they are working harder. Please let us know if there are certain builds that no longer work or if any have improved.

@Eldenissio, I haven't had a chance to look at the poor temperature transfer issue you reported but it's unrelated to the recent bug fixes since it was reported before they went out. I've got a few tasks that need my attention so it might take a bit before I can look at it.

I dont understand, It is not that my steam turbine is overheating that caused it to stop working then the temp inside steam chamber increase. It is the temp inside steam chamber wont go down and keep rising and stable at ~560°C then caused the steam to absorb too much heat then went overheating.

Theoretically, Thermo Aquatuner intake 10kg of water would transfer 585,060 DTU/s into the steam chamber. Steam Turbine on the other hand would intake 2kg/s steam and turn it into water at 95°C, which would effectively remove same amount of heat (585,060 DTU) when temp inside steam chamber is at ~165°C.

If you check the save file I attached, the one steam turbine on far right of Reekial works properly with teamp ~164°C.

The one steam turbine on Gravani (around center of the map, right below living area) is totally bugged. I shut down the Aquatuner which means there is no heat injection, and the steam turbine works properly and keep injecting water at 95°C into the steam chamber, I also throw in some ice to cool things off. The temperature inside, however, still wont go down. If you run it for a few cycle, you will see the temp eventually climb back to ~560°C. Try reduce the temp inside and it will gradually climb back up, in a confined steam chamber with no heat injection.

Correct me if I get anything wrong. Savefile, screenshot, playerglog uploaded.

edit: replace with a better screenshot.

reekial.png

尾巴一翘19.sav Player.log

gravani.png

Edited by warflion

Share this comment

Just a guess, is it related to direction of steam turbine? i just reailzed that all three of my bugged steam turbines are inverted. 

Share this comment

No you're right, there's definitely another bug here. I'm still investigating but there's something strange going on with building temperature transfer. If there are no buildings inside a steam box it behaves as expected, but as soon as you add a Tempshift Plate, Aquatuner, or any other building the temperature rises.

Fix one bug and uncover another one that only "worked" because of the first.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

10 hours ago, warflion said:

Just a guess, is it related to direction of steam turbine? i just reailzed that all three of my bugged steam turbines are inverted. 

Mine were definitely not inverted, regular placement.

16 hours ago, warflion said:

dont understand, It is not that my steam turbine is overheating that caused it to stop working then the temp inside steam chamber increase. It is the temp inside steam chamber wont go down and keep rising and stable at ~560°C then caused the steam to absorb too much heat then went overheating.

Haven't tested my game yet, but that is what I had initially.

1 hour ago, EricKlei said:

No you're right, there's definitely another bug here. I'm still investigating but there's something strange going on with building temperature transfer. If there are no buildings inside a steam box it behaves as expected, but as soon as you add a Tempshift Plate, Aquatuner, or any other building the temperature rises.

Fix one bug and uncover another one that only "worked" because of the first.

Yes, Yes!!! That is what I had in my first comment here. After Aquatuner deconstruction, heat went down a bit, but then built aquatuner and boom! 440C in a cycle.

Share this comment

Update:

Did a test run just now to see if increasing the steam chamber hight from 2 tiles to 3 tiles will help break this bug, but unfortunately it didn't. As long as there's an aquatuner in the steam room, temperature climbs steadily even when aquatuner isn't powered on.

Share this comment

Changed Status to Fixed

This one sure took a while to track down but thank you @warflion, @Eldenissio, @AncientGammoner, @redsage74, @MachineryMan and others for the information and saves to track it down. I would like to do some internal testing before putting out a patch but expect one sometime next week to include this fix.

For those curious the temperature calculations were updating more than once in a simulation frame, but only on certain worlds. This is why the first and second worlds didn't exhibit the behavior. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sanity 1
  • Big Ups 1
  • GL Happy 1

Share this comment

On 2/19/2021 at 7:04 PM, EricKlei said:

For those curious the temperature calculations were updating more than once in a simulation frame, but only on certain worlds. This is why the first and second worlds didn't exhibit the behavior. 

That makes a lot of sense with what I'm seeing on my save.  Steam turbines are working normally on the initial and Forest/Gold/Aluminum asteroid, but they're totally out of whack on the teleporter/oil asteroid.

That might also explain why my Iron Volcano tamer ate itself.  I figured I had built something wrong...

Share this comment