Serious visual bugs on Mac OS (including M1)

evanotevil
  • Version: OSX Fixed

I started to play the DLC. Chose the dupes and saw the fully revealed map. There are also issues with light and if I try to dig, the digging overlay in drawn underneath the resources. (please see the first screenshot)

If I try to load the game, I get black screen and a lot of tooltips when moving the mouse (please see second screenshot).

About my MacBook:

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

2,6 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel Iris 1536 МБ

Снимок экрана 2020-11-19 в 22.40.26.png

Снимок экрана 2020-11-19 в 22.25.56.png

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

I have the same issues. The overlays seem to appear behind the physical tiles, the other overlays such as temperature, electrical and piping are not showing at all. The blueprint for buildings is only visible if the area has been dug out.

I have managed to get the overlays back: Upon switching the resolution in game the overlays function again as normal. Then I switched my resolution back to my normal resolution and it seems to be steady now. Again, this only fixes the overlays issue. Switching the resolutions made the alpha playable again for me so I hope this works for others on a Mac as well. 

Edited by AloofDevo

Share this comment

Workaround: enter graphic settings, disable Fullscreen, apply, unpause, enter graphic settings, reenable Fullscreen, apply,

Problem returns after every save load.

• Thanks 2

Share this comment

@fatheroctopus, I wanted to provide, but my Player.Log file was not updated since 15Nov, seems DLC is not logging anything there?

(I've checked {{/Users/nessumo/Library/Logs/Unity}}, according to your instruction)

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

10 minutes ago, nessumo said:

Workaround: enter graphic settings, disable Fullscreen, apply, unpause, enter graphic settings, reenable Fullscreen, apply,

Problem returns after every save load.

I get this (see screenshot) when I disable fullscreen and reenable it on a loaded game.

Снимок экрана 2020-11-19 в 23.31.21.png

Share this comment

Just now, evanotevil said:

I get this (see screenshot) when I disable fullscreen and reenable it on a loaded game.

For me it is important to unpause for a sec on windowed - have you done that?

Share this comment

2 minutes ago, nessumo said:

For me it is important to unpause for a sec on windowed - have you done that?

I have done it step by step, as you wrote.

• Sad 1

Share this comment

It appears our log location has changed for Mac! :D

We'll update the documentation, but for now, you can find the real log file in ~/Library/Logs/Klei/Oxygen Not Included/Player.log

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

Changed Status to Known Issue

Thanks for your reports - we're able to reproduce on our end and will start digging in. I'm sorry that windowed-mode workaround isn't working for you, @evanotevil, it's possible that changing the resolution could cause it start behaving normally?

• Thanks 2

Share this comment

Exactly same issues as topic starter:

• Map overlays seem to be behind everything (it is fixable with resolution change).
  • Construction overlays aren't showing until building is placed on the map.
  • When trying to load a previously saved game, it's all flickering and tooltips everywhere the mouse goes. So far I could not load a previously saved game again.

Logs attached.

Player.log

Share this comment

Hi, there's no news yet on this fix, but we're aware that this is affecting a large number of our Mac players, and this bug will be the first place to be updated when we have more info about it. Thanks for your patience!

Share this comment

Ok! We have a fix candidate ready for our Mac players in the just-deployed build: 441360

I'll leave this bug pinned for the weekend, but please do not add to it unless you're experiencing the -same- issues as described in the original report. If you see a graphics issue that is clearly different from the original bug description, please open a separate bug.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

Share this comment

I tried to sum it up what I see after updating to 441360.

1 out of 3 new game creations was playable (second screenshot, overlays are working). In all unplayable cases I get what can be seen on first screenshot. Changing the resolution and fullscreen to windowed is not resolving this issue.

Loading previous save is not consistent too. Sometimes I get fully dark screen (first screenshot) on a colony that was looking like on the second screenshot. 

Steps I use for making the colony look normal:

1. Create new colony and see dark screen
  2. Go to main menu and resume it
  3. Press esc and load this colony again

This loaded save look normal but still have dark background in cold biomes (in swampy asteroid). Background becomes normal if zoomed in (screenshot 3 and 4).
I attached my logs and newly created colony (fully dark with its .png file). If I should split these findings into different bug reports, please let me know. For me they all look related to the previously reported issues.

Снимок экрана 2020-11-20 в 23.11.36.png

Снимок экрана 2020-11-23 в 16.17.36.png

Снимок экрана 2020-11-21 в 16.28.40.png

Снимок экрана 2020-11-21 в 16.28.48.png

The Impenetrable Spaceprison.png

Player-prev.log Player.log The Impenetrable Spaceprison.sav

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Changed Status to Known Issue

Ok, we're reproducing this again - the change last week fixed it for some hardware, but clearly not all. We'll update as we make progress - thanks for your patience!

• Thanks 2

Share this comment

For those still experiencing these graphical issues on MacOS:

There are some known compatibility issues between a subset of Mac integrated GPUs and the ONI engine. We believe this workaround should address those remaining graphical bugs.

1) In Steam, Right-click on ONI -> Properties

2) Under the General Tab, choose "Set Launch Options..."

3) In the text field, add "-force-glcore" -> Click OK

image_force_glcore.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

Still seeing this on a M1 MacBook Pro - the workaround does indeed fix fog of war disappearing + construction behind blocks + lights not having the right look (shine bugs, etc) but it makes the colors elsewhere desaturated and washed out, especially in a biome near the edge of the fog of war. Using Spaced Out and latest update.

Share this comment

I'm also experiencing this bug in the build 469369. I'm playing windowed mode.

A faster way to fix it without changing the resolution is to save the game. 

Share this comment

Seeing this issue in regular ONI as well (build 472345).

macOS 11.4, M1 mac mini.

Seems like the game gets the overlays for the undiscovered terrain fog and the pending errands mixed up.

Share this comment