Rocket Piloting Attribute Missing

sira75
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Was trying to decide which one of the pilots to send to space but couldn't find the Rocket Pilot attribute number in the list. 
image.thumb.png.bba2160a6ef0aaae75fff857b169f384.png
Attribute listed are Construction through Husbandry but not Rocket Pilot. 

The list under Skills also does not contain Rocket Piloting. 

Steps to Reproduce

Take the Rocket Pilot skill points. The number not listed in the skill attribute list for dupe. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

Ten months since alpha release and this is still not addressed.  Seems to me this skill has never been implemented.  Prove me wrong, Klei.  I don't want to dig through your code.

Edited by ravalox

Share this comment

4 hours ago, ravalox said:

Seems to me this skill has never been implemented. 

The skill is only shown in the dupe priorities tab. The implementation seems like other skills (dig, build, operate, etc): the higher the skill, the quicker dupes finish their job. In the piloting skill case, dupes operate the rocket control station quicker. The tooltip that the "rocket travels faster" because of that, is not totally wrong (although any delay is observed only when a dupe is late to go to the station and the rocket goes to "auto" mode ->  travels using half the speed) but it's not that much of a significant difference between rocketry +1 and rocketry +11

Share this comment

Well, I did what I said I wouldn't do and started digging through code.  I've only had it decompiled for a few days, so I'm still familiarizing myself to their coding structure.  Regardless, I think I found what I'm looking for.

• STRINGS.DUPLICANTS.STATUSITEMS lists (nearly) every action/interaction a dupe performs but has nothing about piloting nor rockets
  •         this.Astronauting1 = this.AddSkill(new Skill(nameof (Astronauting1), (string) DUPLICANTS.ROLES.USELESSSKILL.NAME, (string) DUPLICANTS.ROLES.USELESSSKILL.DESCRIPTION, "EXPANSION1_ID", 3, "hat_role_astronaut1", "skillbadge_role_astronaut1", Db.Get().SkillGroups.Suits.Id, new List<SkillPerk>()

•         this.Astronauting2 = this.AddSkill(new Skill(nameof (Astronauting2), (string) DUPLICANTS.ROLES.USELESSSKILL.NAME, (string) DUPLICANTS.ROLES.USELESSSKILL.DESCRIPTION, "EXPANSION1_ID", 4, "hat_role_astronaut2", "skillbadge_role_astronaut2", Db.Get().SkillGroups.Suits.Id, new List<SkillPerk>()

•       public class USELESSSKILL
          {
            public static LocString NAME = (LocString) "W.I.P. Skill";
            public static LocString DESCRIPTION = (LocString) "This skill doesn't really do anything right now.";
          }

Share this comment

On 10/20/2021 at 8:39 PM, sakura_sk said:

The skill is only shown in the dupe priorities tab. The implementation seems like other skills (dig, build, operate, etc): the higher the skill, the quicker dupes finish their job. In the piloting skill case, dupes operate the rocket control station quicker. The tooltip that the "rocket travels faster" because of that, is not totally wrong (although any delay is observed only when a dupe is late to go to the station and the rocket goes to "auto" mode ->  travels using half the speed) but it's not that much of a significant difference between rocketry +1 and rocketry +11

I haven't been able to replicate this. No matter what the pilot's skill is, or the Rocket Piloting II perk, the travel time is exactly the same. Exactly the same. I've also dug through the code and haven't found anything related to the rocketry attribute besides the definitions. I think this is simply not implemented yet. 

Share this comment

46 minutes ago, MiniDeathStar said:

the travel time is exactly the same

I've seen/known that since several months back (I don't remember if I posted it somewhere... I need to dig for it). I had two dupes heading to the same destination, one dupe had piloting skill 11 and the other 1. Reached the destination at the same time. But the skill does decrease the time needed for operating the command station.

Share this comment

11 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

I've seen/known that since several months back (I don't remember if I posted it somewhere... I need to dig for it). I had two dupes heading to the same destination, one dupe had piloting skill 11 and the other 1. Reached the destination at the same time. But the skill does decrease the time needed for operating the command station.

I mean, even if that's true, it makes zero difference. Auto pilot is toggled off the moment the pilot touches the console, and the pilot is idling otherwise anyway. The skill should act like the perk in the base game, and reduce the rocket trip duration, as well as improve with command station usage. +3.33% speed (+10% with the second perk) per level of rocketry I think is reasonable and would make using dedicated pilots worthwhile. The base engine speed can even be nerfed a little for extra incentive.

• Like 1

Share this comment