Retracted Gantry broken on rocket landing

JahwsUF
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: OSX Pending

With a Gantry built at the proper location, it works as normally when a rocket is launched.  No breakage, smooth launch.  (When extended, the end of the gantry lines up with the nosecone's door.)

1060759807_ScreenShot2021-05-06at10_00_41PM.thumb.png.a2284b63a3dcd4598d193bc592e13334.png

With the Gantry still retracted, when that rocket lands...

986508053_ScreenShot2021-05-06at10_14_50PM.thumb.png.a611fb3abe74c8179f49deb5c16bfdb2.png

The rocket not visually appearing is a separate matter.  The first time I noticed the bug I'm reporting, it was fully visible upon landing.

To be sure my positioning wasn't the issue, I tried building the Gantry one tile to the right.  Duplicants were unable to board the rocket when I did that, however.

I haven't stress-tested this, but I am two-for-two with this bug.  Makes 'day trips' for orbital research a pain.

Steps to Reproduce
  • Replicate rocket setup shown above (or use attached save file)
  • Have a pilot board the rocket (one's configured in the file)
  • Retract the gantry
  • Launch the rocket
  • Land the rocket (I usually did this after half a cycle or so, in case that matters.)

Trainwreck.sav

• Like 3

User Feedback

Yes the rocket launches perfectly. but at the spot below the spacefarer module it always breaks at landing for no reason.

• Like 1

Share this comment

It's not only spacefarer. Other modules do it too (something to do with modules making it possible for dupes to walk in front of conflicts with gantry maybe...?)

Launching doesn't damage the gantries but landing does even if they are closed and not touching the rocket path:

land.PNG.dab654f7b2dabbb2faa8b64190938f16.PNG 1439926207_landedbroke.thumb.PNG.f6ce1883e4467450a01246cd38cf18b7.PNG 1382670636_gantrydamage.thumb.PNG.4dfcc103159b6df78f808f0753dab9a1.PNG 1943341039_landingdifmodulesok.thumb.PNG.3169581681c313dec63bfe1013cea0d0.PNG 496867863_launchland2.thumb.PNG.2e27947217f87b39bceab21057baf9b9.PNG

(Also it seems that rocket platform needs cooling now that it is a building. After making multiple launch-landings, I manage to melt the copper platform above) My bad... I probably melted the copper ore that melted the platform. The platform itself doesn't seem to change temperature I have no idea why it melt when the rocket platform doesn't change temperature but it melt while 20C

Edited by sakura_sk
explanation of melting (1,2)
  • Big Ups 1

Share this comment

Edit: I'm playing on Windows 10

I'm having the same problem as well. Just landed the rocket and the upper gantry is broken while the one below is fine. They do not take any damage on launch like others posted here.

20210707193409_1.thumb.jpg.c61571b30bd5b9047da061d115a0a40d.jpg

Tragic Spacepad.sav

Edited by Yeria
Adding OS info and save file
  • Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

Share this comment

i'm facing the same bug. 

gantry are placed correctly, none of them are getting destroyed at lanching, but at landing the gantry which is placed just below the spacefarer module is getting destroyed every time. the other stays intact. 

it seems the devs didn't yet solved it,  any workaround idea in the meantime ? 

it's getting verry frustrating to use rocket with this..

edit : impossible to attach my game save, I didn't succeed to transform my moded version into a not moded one, it's crashing the game.

tested the file from Yera just aboved, same issue here with his file as well, on W10 also.

Edited by zealo146

Share this comment

Same issue, launches fine (gantry retracted).  Upon landing (gantry retracted) gantry is damaged and unusable.  It takes an effort to get my dupes out of the spacecraft and automation is neigh on impossible.  You would think making the gantry indestructible in the interim would be a work around until they can fix the main problem.  Very frustrating when trying to automate rocket launch and retrieval.  Thanks.

Share this comment

On 8/21/2021 at 9:02 PM, Bombcat2015 said:

Upon landing (gantry retracted) gantry is damaged and unusable.

1 hour ago, letonga said:

I hope this gets fixed soon

There was a fix mentioned in the latest testing branch update "Fixed a bug where gantries would be destroyed when a rocket landed even if they were retracted."
and I don't see gantries being destroyed anymore in the testing branch. (Testing branch becomes the live version in 3-4 days from now)

Although, gantries seem like they need to stay out of rocket platform's path even though the rocket is smaller

image.png.06f1290cff2d9efffc3d8a6a0c2411b4.png

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

This is still a thing in vanilla though sadly. Build the gantry as close to the rocket as is allowed, far edge of pod door lines up perfectly with the end of the gantry, launches fine but destroys the gantry upon landing :<

Share this comment