Main menu lag (Base game through DLC)

sakura_sk
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Fixed

I don't know if it's only me (or my potato kind of pc...) but main menu of base game is lagging (or dropping frames... I'm not sure)

https://cdn.forums.klei.com/monthly_2021_06/1085036824_screen-capture(18).webm.2259e6f359ef418619c920aec1613684.webm

When opening a menu (e.g "options) and animations are darkened they are playing normally, otherwise they become a slideshow

I think this bug is also present in my "spaced out" starting main menu screen but it has less hiccups lately

(I think I saw a bug report a couple of months back describing the same issue about the main menu lag, connecting it with CPU usage but I can't find it at the moment)

Steps to Reproduce

Starting game. Waiting on the main menu and watching animations lag like crazy (more serious in base game starting screen than spaced out starting screen. Logs below from both)

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

its not only you, this game loads allot stuff to memory when it starts, also not to mention the save games it lags allot as-well when open that , i not looked how they made that but currently it seems wrong.

also if look closer the main menu, it looks like there somesort app freeze point, what should not happen at all simple menus like this

freeze point can be easily see when you play in windowed mode and move app, it looks like it happens in every second

Edited by gabberworld

Share this comment

If you move your Documents/Klei/OxygenNotIncluded does performance improve? How many base game and DLC saves do you have in your save_files and/or cloud_save_files folders? 

Share this comment

i to have 61 save games 16 are the DLC ones, no cloud , some off them have also the 10 autosaves but not all.

anyway game instant freeze when i use that till it loads them , im guessing this function needed add inside the Threat or whatever unity uses for smoother loading. or it load from hdd that part only what menu needs in beginning, byte reading?

i could try ssd but atm my saves are in raid, i not even know what happens if i add those to my main hdd where they was at beginning

also im feeling that there is memory leak at there, every time i click the Load Game, memory usage goes bigger and bigger

oopsytaysi.thumb.png.29e13781c8d2c3ee3f17c99d404cf014.png

also  that 1 sec freeze what i talked before is related with Load game because it goes away when i kilck that Load Game button

Edited by gabberworld

Share this comment

The main menu stuttering decreased after the last update. (It's not a slideshow anymore. Just some frequent bumps.. :rolleyes:

The "load save" menu lag compared to save file count goes like:

~14 sec to open menu: 1791095613_savefiles.PNG.ddf134404ef7ae51497eae922c2b54e9.PNG

~4 sec to open menu:   890912041_savefilescleanup.PNG.247a4e8714a6e610e342efa21659dada.PNG (10 colonies)

It would be useful if DLC saves had a separate save folder inside the general save-files folder. You can see which is which and delete save files one by one in-game but massively moving whole folders, needs searching by folder/screenshot.

Share this comment

6 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

The main menu stuttering decreased after the last update. (It's not a slideshow anymore. Just some frequent bumps.. :rolleyes:

The "load save" menu lag compared to save file count goes like:

~14 sec to open menu: 1791095613_savefiles.PNG.ddf134404ef7ae51497eae922c2b54e9.PNG

~4 sec to open menu:   890912041_savefilescleanup.PNG.247a4e8714a6e610e342efa21659dada.PNG (10 colonies)

It would be useful if DLC saves had a separate save folder inside the general save-files folder. You can see which is which and delete save files one by one in-game but massively moving whole folders, needs searching by folder/screenshot.

if talk about seconds then its somewhere 11 sec at here,

also when i push multi times the "Load game" button it still freeze even tho that they loaded from memory not from hdd

Edited by gabberworld

Share this comment

Changed Status to Known Issue

I'm wondering if there are two separate issues 1) unexplained extreme slowdown, and 2) performance issues with lots of saves. I've marked it as a known issue while we investigate performance but it might not be looked at right away.

• Thanks 2

Share this comment

22 hours ago, EricKlei said:

Changed Status to Known Issue

I'm wondering if there are two separate issues 1) unexplained extreme slowdown, and 2) performance issues with lots of saves. I've marked it as a known issue while we investigate performance but it might not be looked at right away.

main menu lag is todo with that 1sec freeze, note in dlc its even bigger

im guessing there is somewhere unneeded  loop what is running  and when klick the "load games" it disabled that loop.

when i removed all save games then this freeze stopped, soo its related with save_files

Edited by gabberworld

Share this comment

ok i found what cause that, its the RefreshResumeButton at MainMenu.cs its inside constant loop in Update till you click the Load Game

i tested that with mod by disable that

that would not fix the huge delay in Load Games self but it would fix the freeze what happens in main menu

this what im tested with mod

using Harmony;

namespace testbugs
{
    public class Patches
    {
        private static bool refresh = true; 

[HarmonyPatch(typeof(MainMenu), "OnSpawn")]
        public class MainMenu_Patch
        {
            static void Postfix()
            {
                refresh = true;
                Debug.Log("MainMenu");
            }
        }

[HarmonyPatch(typeof(MainMenu))]
        [HarmonyPatch("RefreshResumeButton")]
        public class MainMenuFreezeFix
        {
            static bool Prefix()
            {
               if (!refresh)
                return false;               
               return true;
            }

static void Postfix()
            {
                refresh = false;
            }
        }
    }
}

Edited by gabberworld

Share this comment

After latest update [467765] it seems completely smooth. I was seeing these hiccups of main menu animation somewhere in the beginning of DLC [link]. I don't think I changed anything on my end (and I still don't know if it's due to my pc). I'll wait to see how it will handle my "too many save files" habits :p 

Edited by sakura_sk
added [link]

Share this comment

6 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

After latest update [467765] it seems completely smooth. I was seeing these hiccups of main menu animation somewhere in the beginning of DLC [link]. I don't think I changed anything on my end (and I still don't know if it's due to my pc). I'll wait to see how it will handle my "too many save files" habits :p 

i not test the 467765 , but its smooth in base game aswell? or base game for you been always smooth? because currently i see bug in code

when they migrate both versions then im guessing they need change the RefreshResumeButton anyway, i guess need wait till that happens

Edited by gabberworld

Share this comment

1 hour ago, gabberworld said:

but its smooth in base game aswell? or base game for you been always smooth?

If you mean base game of the testing DLC branch (the merged code), it was as seen in the original videos (comment posted in the update topic) but now it is smooth. DLC main menu is smooth as well.

If you mean base game the released version (as I was playing it before December 2020), I don't remember ever having problems. I haven't been playing much of the base game since December to see if an in-between update changed something.

Share this comment

8 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

(the merged code)

there is no fully merge code yet as far i know dlc and base game have two different game codes. merge happens after they finish base game testing for harmony 2. at least that what i understand 

Share this comment

17 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

there is no fully merge code yet as far i know dlc and base game have two different game codes.

Read update 467401

"We've been working to unify the code-bases between the original and Spaced Out versions of the game. This patch is your first glimpse of the updated base game. Now, when you toggle the DLC on and off from the main menu, it will be running on the same code, rather than having to re-download the entire game from Steam! (Note: if you want to go back to the current base game, you can still toggle off the DLC entirely through the Steam interface.)"

If you are not in testing branch you probably won't notice until the update is live in a week but testing branch of DLC works like that now. That's why the title of the bug says "Base game through DLC" and it is not in the base game bug tracker

Share this comment

30 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

Read update 467401

"We've been working to unify the code-bases between the original and Spaced Out versions of the game. This patch is your first glimpse of the updated base game. Now, when you toggle the DLC on and off from the main menu, it will be running on the same code, rather than having to re-download the entire game from Steam! (Note: if you want to go back to the current base game, you can still toggle off the DLC entirely through the Steam interface.)"

If you are not in testing branch you probably won't notice until the update is live in a week but testing branch of DLC works like that now. That's why the title of the bug says "Base game through DLC" and it is not in the base game bug tracker

but you started bug report with lagging , as i see its happens sometime now in game even with base game what you use in December , if they fixed that then its nice. but as i not use testing branch soo i need wait and see end result.

main reason why it happened is that one save file info was/is in constant loop , what should really only read 1 time and that causes freeze/lag or whatever you call it

Edited by gabberworld

Share this comment

Changed Status to Fixed

The Resume Game button performance has been fixed. Opening the Load Games screen is now also considerably faster. This issues can be traced back to November 2020 and affects both the base game and Spaced Out.

This will be fixed in the next public_testing update.

• Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

Share this comment