Game crashes after Klei Logo, since DLC was deactivated

Vaiaphraim
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Hello, so I was messing around in the new main menu of the game, with the Spaced Out DLC active. In the bottom right, there's a checkmark that allows you to disable the DLC - and I clicked that.

I was asked to confirm deactivation and that a restart would be required. I confirmed, and the game started - and crashed after the Klei logo (the menu didn't even load, just the background music was playing as the "black hole ate my game")

What I tried in hope of fixing the problem:

• Deactivate / Reactivate the DLC in the steam properties
  • Reinstall the game (again with DLC on / off)
  • After discussing the issue on the ONI discord, a potential solution was to remove the kplayerprefs.yaml - however, it didn't fix the issue

Steps to Reproduce

1. Start the game with the DLC installed.

2. In the main menu, select "deactivate DLC" (to anyone who is not a dev, do NOT click, since the game was never playable again for me ever since).
3. Confirm the deactivation and restart prompt.

4. Try everything and helplessly watch the game fail to start ever again (or, well, until a fix is found...)

Cheers!

P.S. a fix seems to be to move/rename the DLC save files, since they're not compatible with the base game, and a failed assertion prevents the game from proceeding otherwise

P.P.S. after deleting the save files, etc., I can enter the main menu, but starting a game still causes a crash

User Feedback

I manually deleted all the files and folders from \steamapps\common\OxygenNotIncluded then used Steam to Verify files which reinstalled it.  This fixed the issue for me.  It seems when you deactivate the DLC Steam reinstalls ONI, so it must be leaving some residual files behind which causes the crashing, I certainly have less files in the above folder after the manual delete and reinstall.

Share this comment

I tried deleting everything (from all folders that ONI made), but I can't get past the main menu. The main menu works again, but I cannot start a game.

Share this comment

Just now, Vaiaphraim said:

I tried deleting everything (from all folders that ONI made), but I can't get past the main menu. The main menu works again, but I cannot start a game.

Same thing happens to me

Share this comment

On Discord it has become apparent that some may also need to rename the folder located at Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded - WARNING This folder contains all your save files so rename it and DON'T delete it.  After renaming Verfify your installation through Steam.

Share this comment

To anyone still experiencing this problem: While the game is closed:

Could you try going to your OxygenNotIncluded install folder (right-click the game, Properties -> Local Files -> Browse Local Files), then delete the StreamingAssets folder (which is found in OxygenNotIncluded_Data).

Then, right-click ONI -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Files

Let me know if this resolves it for you. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

Share this comment

42 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Could you try going to your OxygenNotIncluded install folder (right-click the game, Properties -> Local Files -> Browse Local Files), then delete the StreamingAssets folder.

Then, right-click ONI -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Files

Although steam validated the files, it would still crash. I had to reinstall the game but it works now! :D

Share this comment

I had the Alpha running for 5 days never a crash. Today on the 8th (BETA RELEASE) the game crashed on the Klei screen with red missing file dump.

I sent into Steam and verifired files. It found 175 bad files and updated. I then was able to post to the main menu.

TLDR File verification worked for me today. But it only got me to the main menu where it crashed again on New Game.

FYI I do not have a beta option in the steam menu to choose from either.

Edited by BlueTeamMember

Share this comment

15 minutes ago, BlueTeamMember said:

I had the Alpha running for 5 days never a crash. Today on the 8th (BETA RELEASE) the game crashed on the Klei screen with red missing file dump.

I sent into Steam and verifired files. It found 175 bad files and updated. I then was able to post to the main menu.

TLDR File verification worked for me today. But it only got me to the main menu where it crashed again on New Game.

FYI I do not have a beta option in the steam menu to choose from either.

I would recommend reinstalling your game as I had to do the same, even after steam verified the files.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Someone at Klei should emphasize the the DLC option is only on the Main Menu Lower Left corner and there is no need to go to the Steam Properties tab to enroll.

I reinstalled the game and now the DLC activation in the lower left is gone. BUILD ! CS-444111 ! and no opt in available in the steam properties tab. I feel like George Russell right now kicked back down to release build "Williams"

Edited by BlueTeamMember

Share this comment

@BlueTeamMember Just to make sure it's not a misunderstanding: The alpha ended and the alpha access keys have been closed. The activation button and options in Steam DLC manager won't show up now unless Spaced Out is purchased.

Are you seeing these issues even with the DLC purchased?

Share this comment

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:

@BlueTeamMember Just to make sure it's not a misunderstanding: The alpha ended and the alpha access keys have been closed. The activation button and options in Steam DLC manager won't show up now unless Spaced Out is purchased.

I just bought it, and cant run the game lmao, it just doesnt start, this is what shows up

image.png.f5a9e711cf198c5fd58913d57e2e99c9.png

Share this comment

NOT after purchase but before purchase it looped on 1 machine and the 2nd machine reverted back to the base game.

Both run fine with new DLC after the deleting of the folder as you suggested. But if you don't buy the DLC it looked like 2 different games for some reason.

After purchase it both computers synced up ok. but before purchase 1 machine had the DLC activation and the other PC did not.

Share this comment

On 12/8/2020 at 5:45 PM, Ipsquiggle said:

Could you try going to your OxygenNotIncluded install folder (right-click the game, Properties -> Local Files -> Browse Local Files), then delete the StreamingAssets folder (which is found in OxygenNotIncluded_Data).

Worked for me, thank you

Share this comment