Desalinator still broken for Brine

Gurgel
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Fixed

Apparently, the Desalinator has been broken for Brine for almost 2 years (!) now. It adds a massive amount of heat for Brine (output 40C minimum) but does not do that for saltwater. That makes absolutely no sense. Please fix. 

Reference:

Steps to Reproduce

See link

• Like 1

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Is this a bug? I don't think it is - if I remember correctly, the description has two input/outputs, one for salt water and another for brine, where with the brine the minimum output is 40°C

Share this comment

Salt water and brine are so similar I see no reason why one should have a minimum output but not the other. If it is intentional, it would be nice for a dev to pop in and say so. Otherwise we are left thinking they haven't been able to find 5 minutes to fix such a trivial bug in 2 years.

• Like 2

Share this comment

14 hours ago, wachunga said:

Salt water and brine are so similar I see no reason why one should have a minimum output but not the other. If it is intentional, it would be nice for a dev to pop in and say so. Otherwise we are left thinking they haven't been able to find 5 minutes to fix such a trivial bug in 2 years.

That is pretty much what I think. Brine and saltwater are pretty close to each other. To have completely different behaviors for both does not make much sense IMO. The only thing this causes is that when desalinating Brine, you have to add a rather large heat-exchanger to get the temperature down again and to deal with all kinds of start/stop issues a heat-exchanger may have if large enough.  

The one reason I could see is that brine is usually available in the -10C variant and the Desalinator output would freeze on that. But that is pretty much what the Tepidizer is for. Putting in a fixed minimum and pretty high output temperature is the wrong approach IMO.

• Like 1

Share this comment

Changed Status to Fixed

We agree that these should be consistent and decided to go with removing the min output temperature for brine. This change will go out in the next public_testing update. You'll need to preheat the brine otherwise the output pipe will freeze.

• Thanks 4

Share this comment