Can't enter text on valves

CentaurZX14
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Linux Fixed

In Spaced Out, all text entry is ignored when you click on a valve or station.  Only the sliders and arrows work, and even ESC doesn't do anything.

Steps to Reproduce
  1. Build a valve or station
  2. Click on the thing you built
  3. Try to type something into the text fields or press the ESC key
  4. Nothing happens

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

More: it seems to be happening in any situation there is a text field.  I just found I can't type in a search string in the research / technology tree, either.

Share this comment

What window manager are you using? Might be a focus issue. Something seems to be keeping the game from getting keyboard events.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

It works fine without the Spaced Out! DLC turned on, so I doubt that's it.

I am running Fedora 34 with MATE desktop.  All my other Steam games have no problems receiving keyboard inputs, either.

Share this comment

Working without Spaced Out! turned on is VERY odd as it's the same binary these days. Fedora is not one of our supported distros so we're not able to provide direct support, but I'd be happy to assist with debugging. How comfortable are you with tools like gdb and strace?

Share this comment

Okay, my bad because the bug seems to be present with the DLC turned off now, also.  I have recently done the following, don't recall in what order:

• Upgraded from F33 to F34 using the Fedora Project guide.
  • Purchased and installed the Spaced Out! DLC and started a new game.
  • Downloaded and updated ONI as and when updates became available through Steam.

Not sure when the bug showed up, but it definitely worked as expected in F33 with the base game and no DLC installed.  As for gdb, strace, and other tools, it's been a minute but I'm sure it will all come back with some guidance.

Edited by CentaurZX14

Share this comment

During development of Spaced Out! the game switched from fullscreen to fullscreen windowed (aka borderless windowed) - quite popular with users who have multiple monitors but also something I could see interacting with less popular window managers in interesting ways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

I just tried toggling the fullscreen option on and off and it seems to make no difference; the game appears to remain in fullscreen.

Share this comment

Yes, both when I switched it off and again when I switched it back on.  No apparent difference in appearance or behavior -- the bug is present both ways.

Share this comment

I have another data point for you: I can enter text into the temperature field of a Thermo Sensor, but that's the only place I've found that works now.  Not even the Search Database field works.

Share this comment

Most of the Automation devices have text fields that work as they're supposed to for me.  I have tested with Atmo, Hydro, Wattage, and Timer Sensors, as well as the Thermo Sensor previously mentioned, and they all work with text entry.

However, neither the Buffer nor the Filter Gate dialogues respond to keyboard input, same symptoms as the original report.  Not even ESC works to close the dialogues; I have to click the X button.

Also, I downloaded and installed yesterdays update, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Share this comment

I also see this issue and seen it before latest update. I'm on Fedora 34.

Seemed to me that only thing I was able to write so far were the ones which has the unit as part of the text field (e.g. "500 g" in Hydro sensor).

Share this comment

@Janinko What window manager are you using? Did you upgrade to Fedora 34 from a previous version or is this a fresh install?

I've sent you both a message to a troubleshooting branch with an older build so we can determine if it's OS or game related.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Same issue here. Installed game, played a bit, got irritated on broken text input fields.

Fedora 35, KDE, NVidia, X11, fullscreen.

Share this comment

If I choose 'Proton experimental' then text inputs and mouse scrolling behave better.

But also paths change, mods are forgotten, saves lost and configuration gone.

Share this comment

Moving here from my own  bug report (sorry, I've searched for an existing one but didn't find it). 

I'm on Fedora 34 gnome desktop. This is an upgrade. I switch between playing in windows and Linux over time, I moved back to Linux recently but I can't tell if the bug was caused by the upgrade of Fedora or an updated in the game. 

All I know is that months ago I didn't have this bug. 

It affects text inputs but not all of them. One way to attack the problem could be investigating the difference between searching in the resources tab and renaming of rocket platforms and schedules. It could definitely be a window manager problem, but knowing what triggers it could be useful. 

@nomeOh I can do gdb and strace. What are you looking for? 

I forgot to add:

Fedora 34, Gnome, NVidia (proprietary drivers), X11, fullscreen.

Edited by TheMule

Share this comment