Water stagnant in pipes though it could exit

kire456
  • Pending

I have a plumbing system for fresh and filthy water, with multiple things connected to both circuits (a lavatory, a shower, a water purifyer, an air scrubber). Additionally, the freshwater circuit has both a pump, switched on and submerged, and a vent. Though water should in principle always be flowing somewhere, it isn't.

I've attached a screenshot showing the problem (water doesn't move), and a save file in which it is present. Hope this helps :)

pipes.png

bug pipes clogged.sav

User Feedback

This is actually just how the piping system works currently (which frustrated the heck out of me as well my last playthrough).  Essentially you have water coming in from the left and right over that shower.  The pipes currently don't seem to actually use pressure mechanics and instead work more like conveyor belts.  As such when this situation happens, it deadlocks the system.

It would be nice if piped contents that have been deadlocked for a while would at least try recalculate to see if there is somewhere they could go.

Share this comment

All those recalculations would cost a lot of CPU. Also, there would be new deadlocks since every second a new blob can enter the system. There are different speed of input and output and different matter size for them too. (theres a reason most of the games tries to skip on the liquid distribution :) )

Share this comment

4 hours ago, Blas88 said:

All those recalculations would cost a lot of CPU. Also, there would be new deadlocks since every second a new blob can enter the system. There are different speed of input and output and different matter size for them too. (theres a reason most of the games tries to skip on the liquid distribution :) )

You wouldn't need to recalculate constantly, just a periodic check to scan for deadlocks.  The path should also utilize a pathfinder to make sure that flow is always going from input -> output.  So that these sort of deadlocks don't happen either (would abstract a sort of pressure concept that way at least).

Share this comment

Yes, I think you're right, it does look like a conveyor belt system. But since the devs have a pretty awesome gas flow physics system, I'm assuming this does kind of count as a bug :p

Share this comment

... I can see that, but that's not how water pipes work in reality. It's not an actual conveyor belt. For example, the heating in my house has several radiators and one heater. The pipes to the radiators have one input and many outputs, and the system back to the radiator has many inputs and one output. Works like a charm.

Share this comment