Water Sieve never in thermal contact with pipes or tempshift plates

oconzer
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I've recently been trying to cool a water sieve by using tempshift plates + radiant pipes as shown in the screenshot below, but it doesn't cool down like my other machinery that I've built like this.

Spoiler

8D0A5260B8B1F1AD06910EFB08E44D59D16EC94B

BEBBE7218DF7D4F41B4A823E9A58DA972C5CE36C

It is built with iron and it only cools when its not running (same rate as before i built the pipes and plates). I think that the water sieves lack the property to be in thermal contact with pipes and tempshift plates.

Steps to Reproduce
Build a water sieve without cooling via tempshift plates and pipes, and one with and notice that it doesn't make a difference.

User Feedback

Oxygen has incredibly low thermal conductivity, and pipes, tempshift plates, and buildings do not directly touch each other in the same tile, they use the gas as an intermediary. You can increase the rate of cooling by running the radiant pipes in tiles nearby, as the pipes will exchange heat very very quickly with the tiles, which are in contact with the oxygen; tempshift plates behind the sieve will still help as well.

Share this comment

1 hour ago, Nebbie said:

Oxygen has incredibly low thermal conductivity, and pipes, tempshift plates, and buildings do not directly touch each other in the same tile, they use the gas as an intermediary. You can increase the rate of cooling by running the radiant pipes in tiles nearby, as the pipes will exchange heat very very quickly with the tiles, which are in contact with the oxygen; tempshift plates behind the sieve will still help as well.

I realize it has a low thermal conductivity, but with my cooling for my oxygen I run polluted water through my electrolizer room with pump to grab the air, and it cools just fine unlike my sieve.

Share this comment

5 hours ago, oconzer said:

I realize it has a low thermal conductivity, but with my cooling for my oxygen I run polluted water through my electrolizer room with pump to grab the air, and it cools just fine unlike my sieve.

Does that run through nearby tiles that aren't plastic? It looks like You've got plastic tiles under the water sieve, and pipe-tile heat exchange has a large multiplier. Plastic is an insulator.

Share this comment

17 hours ago, Nebbie said:

Does that run through nearby tiles that aren't plastic? It looks like You've got plastic tiles under the water sieve, and pipe-tile heat exchange has a large multiplier. Plastic is an insulator.

It is running through plastic through regular pipes (the radiant are behind the sieve), but it also used to be granite and had the same issues. I had changed it to plastic after not noticing a difference in temperature cooling on my water sieve, so my dupes would move faster through there. I'm starting to think that the sieves have no thermal contact to anything other than gas (which doesn't seem to cool them much).

Edited by oconzer

Share this comment

1 hour ago, oconzer said:

It is running through plastic through regular pipes (the radiant are behind the sieve), but it also used to be granite and had the same issues. I had changed it to plastic after not noticing a difference in temperature cooling on my water sieve, so my dupes would move faster through there. I'm starting to think that the sieves have no thermal contact to anything other than gas (which doesn't seem to cool them much).

They don't have thermal contact with anything but the gas, that's my point; neither does anything else, but the water sieve has a high inherent heat output and you've insulated the tiles near it that could help get the oxygen cold to cool it faster. You should replace the tiles with granite and the pipes under them with radiant ones and see how the temperature changes over time.

Share this comment

Here's my save file. I recently replaced my tiles and pipes flowing under the sieve and still not seeing much of a temperature cooling when its running (granted my system is a bit backed up with this save).

Idyllic Acropolis.sav

Share this comment

In that save, the whole system around the water sieve seems to hold steady around 84-91°F, even with the hot water coming in from the refinery. The coolant Polluted Water is at 84°F, so it can't cool the sieve any more than that. In general, even in fairly ideal conditions, buildings won't converge temperature with their environment while running, there will be some disparity.

If what I'm seeing here doesn't match up with what you're seeing on your end, let me know what's happening or upload another save, and I can investigate further.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

On 8/13/2019 at 12:47 PM, Ipsquiggle said:

In that save, the whole system around the water sieve seems to hold steady around 84-91°F, even with the hot water coming in from the refinery. The coolant Polluted Water is at 84°F, so it can't cool the sieve any more than that. In general, even in fairly ideal conditions, buildings won't converge temperature with their environment while running, there will be some disparity.

If what I'm seeing here doesn't match up with what you're seeing on your end, let me know what's happening or upload another save, and I can investigate further.

I have thought I seen other buildings transfer their heat quite quickly when having a water cooling loop behind them in oxygen, but when the sieve is running, the water in the loop doesn't pull much heat like other buildings in my map (particularly my gas pumps in my oxygen generator room).

Share this comment