Transformers Overloading High Side Wires when within the Safe Limits

Gamers Handbook
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Wires on the high sides of transformers are overloading when you try to use the wire at max capacity.  I tried different loads, different wires, and different combinations of transformers.  When 20kW of transformer draw is placed on heavy watt wire, it will break.  When 2kW of transformer draw is placed on conductive wire, it will break.  Etc.  As you can see in the energy tab, the transformer draw totals 20kW.  From the mouse over you can see the current load is at capacity.  Yet the wire (in this case a bridge, but it will break just wire as well) overloads.

This is not consistent with previous behavior.  We were able to have 5 large transformers on heavy watt wire before without issues, as well as 2 small transformers on conductive wire.

Here's a link to a reddit post where someone else was having issues

20191020100926_1.jpg

Steps to Reproduce
Place transformers equal to a wire's capacity. Place generators on the high side generating more than wire's capacity. Place consumers on the low side demanding more than the wire's capacity (or batteries). The high side wire will overload. It shouldn't overload, and hasn't in the past.
  • Like 1

User Feedback

I think I get it now from reading those posts. Let me recap it. Transformers will always have the same output rate. When the transformers internal batteries are empty, it will have unlimited consumption rate. When the internal storage is full, it will limit its consumption to its output rate. To avoid this problem, always keep your transformers charged. This means that planning for brownouts are a no go.

@Gamers Handbook Does this happen when the transformer is fully charged too or just when its empty/partially empty?

It could even be a rounding error with the transformers.

Share this comment

As you can see, the transformers are at full charge in this screenshot and the bridge is taking damage while the batteries are getting charged.  Therefore it appears the hypothesis that when the internal transformer battery reads full this doesn't happen is incorrect.  Good hypothesis though.

20191106160039_1.jpg

Share this comment

9 hours ago, Gamers Handbook said:

As you can see, the transformers are at full charge in this screenshot and the bridge is taking damage while the batteries are getting charged.  Therefore it appears the hypothesis that when the internal transformer battery reads full this doesn't happen is incorrect.  Good hypothesis though.

6 steam turbines per line

4 lines

6 * 4 * 850 = .... 20 400 

Oups ! You produce 400 w more than what the wire can support. :p 

Share this comment

I've run into the same issue when trying to offload excess power from an off-site steam turbines powered by a volcano. 

3x steam turbines are connected via conductive wire to 2 power transformers (which then offload power to main grid). Even though the load never exceeds 2k (as the consumers are not capable of drawing more than that), the conductive wire get continuously overloaded. It appears as if 1kW transformers were drawing more than 1kW from their input at their full capacity. The overload is infinitesimal, showing a red 2kW, with displayed load value never exceeding the limit.

I had to work around this problem by lowering steam temperature to keep the output safely below the limit, at around ~1.9 kW. There are however no good reasons for this setup not to work. Not having this as an option, leaves the only viable power setup to have all generators connected to main power spine via heavy watt wires, which I hope was not the intention of game authors. 

I know about battery flipper mechanics that are possible to achieve similar offsite generators, but relying on 'infinite charing power' seems to be much worse abuse of game mechanics. I would expect the transformers to protect not only their output, but also the input (when they are the only consumers).

I'm happy to include screenshots if that helps to address this issue. 

Edited by lemurek

Share this comment

On 10/21/2019 at 2:41 PM, BLACKBERREST3 said:

I think I get it now from reading those posts. Let me recap it. Transformers will always have the same output rate. When the transformers internal batteries are empty, it will have unlimited consumption rate. When the internal storage is full, it will limit its consumption to its output rate. To avoid this problem, always keep your transformers charged. This means that planning for brownouts are a no go.

@Gamers Handbook Does this happen when the transformer is fully charged too or just when its empty/partially empty?

It could even be a rounding error with the transformers.

I've tested the idea of using pre-charged transformers and the problem persisted. One of the transformers immediately flipped to 80% charge, followed soon by the other. It's not clear whether that is relevant at all to the overload problem. 

TBH I'd argue that above considerations should be implementation details. If you treat the internal capacity as an extra battery - that battery (as any other batteries) should not cause wires to overload. From game mechanics perspective this should be as simple as: if a power transformer can only ever provide up to 1kW it should not draw more than 1kW, and consequently should never overload a connected wire of matching capacity. 

Share this comment