[Thermal Update]Offscreen Liquid Consumers Stop Working

DarkD
  • Known Issue

Since the water loss bugs aren't fixed, I went back to using a combination of liquid vents and liquid valves to solve my problem, but now those are broken too.  If you stop looking at a liquid valve, it'll stop compressing water and the water will slowly but surely get backed up until the whole system just breaks.  I kept wondering why I kept coming back and needing to turn off my liquid pumps.  

Thermal Upgrade edition

Edit

I've experimented a bit more and I understand now.  So if you stop watching a water consuming building, it will stop working, but water will continue pumping towards it.  As it isn't doing anything with the water anymore, the water will start to stack up.  So in my case of having liquid valves that clamped the water pressure to 1000 g/s instead of 10kg/s, the water valve would become pointless as all the 1000g/s water blobs would start to stack ontop of eachother and turn into a 10kg/s blob, completely ruining the purpose of my liquid valve.  

Steps to Reproduce
Use a liquid consuming building with water valve constrained inputs, go offscreen somewhere and the building will stop working. A little offscreen doesn't seem to do anything.

User Feedback

The valve only limits flow, not the size of the pipe on the other end. If it backs up it will climb back to 10kg.

Share this comment

Yea I get that, I was trying to demonstrate that the liquid consuming buildings would stop working whenever you stopped looking at them.  Because the water would back up.  

Share this comment

15 minutes ago, DarkD said:

Yea I get that, I was trying to demonstrate that the liquid consuming buildings would stop working whenever you stopped looking at them.  Because the water would back up.

Which water consumer is causing you trouble?

Share this comment

Electrolyzers and water purifiers. I'm certain of how it works because I have a really long pipe connected to the water purifiers.  I can literally have the pipe on screen while the water purifier is offscreen and watch the water stop flowing.  Then the moment I look at the purifier again, it starts flowing again.  

I'll have a video capture of the problem in a moment, just need to wait for mediafire to finish uploading the damn thing.  a minute of video made a 400 MB file...  wtf...

Edited by DarkD

Share this comment

The Electrolyzer is one of many buildings affected by a bug where they require something waiting at the intake.
It also stops working if at max gas pressure so it's very likely to have a line of water waiting anyways.

Are you sure the water purifier wasn't waiting for a delivery of sand?

Share this comment

I have the pipe long enough to be certain.  I can literally turn it on and off like clockwork.  I stop looking at it and it stops working.  If you look at the video, proper operation of the purifier should be patterns of three globs of water.  If I stop looking at the water purifier, it changes to no globs of water.  Then I look and all of a sudden it's got like 50 globs of water coming out all at once.  All at 10kg/s which shouldn't be the case since I have a water valve on there set to 500g/s.  

This is why I posted the video.  Is there simpler video maker?  One that isn't going to make a 1GB file over 50 seconds of footage?

Share this comment

I can confirm this bug. Water purifier is lazy and when noone sees it stops working. :D

Keep the water purifier selected and move the screen away and you will see all the status messages disappear.

EDIT: Also you can see on the water purifier info panel that its polluted water storage fills up to 10kg and the water output stays on 0.

Edited by Blas88

Share this comment

17 minutes ago, Blas88 said:

I can confirm this bug. Water purifier is lazy and when noone sees it stops working. :D

Keep the water purifier selected and move the screen away and you will see all the status messages disappear.

Just tried this and I can see the storage changing as it should?
Definitely going to need a save that exhibits this behavior.

If you mean all the accumulator statuses, they were completely broken when they removed the whole "g/s" thing.

Edited by Risu

Share this comment

21 minutes ago, Blas88 said:

@Risu You are right. There are another requirement.

Need staggering water input so the purifier stops when no water input, and when its offcreen it cant refresh from empty status.

Water purifier stops refreshing.sav

Ahh yep. I can see it there. Must be the state machine getting hung up on removing the status items but not transitioning to waiting for operational status to change, which starts the conversion.

Actually I did notice something strange.
They added the fix for the hydrogen generator to the water purifier where it states the conduit consumer is always satisfied.
Seems to be unnecessary so I'll try removing that.

Nope. Still does it after removing that. Gotta be a bug with the state machine then.

Edited by Risu

Share this comment

Would it be possible to get a video of this?

I seem to be trying to reproduce this differently but using the thermal_upgrade_preview branch and the save file posted I can't figure out how to get the water purifier to stop working, mine just seems to work whether it's on or off the screen.

Share this comment

17 minutes ago, JLK said:

Would it be possible to get a video of this?

I seem to be trying to reproduce this differently but using the thermal_upgrade_preview branch and the save file posted I can't figure out how to get the water purifier to stop working, mine just seems to work whether it's on or off the screen.

Open the water purifier before unpausing the game, move away from it, and then unpause the game.
You'll see the intake fill the storage as it should but it won't turn on until you look at it again.

Share this comment

Woot, first reporter of a major bug.  

Please tell me this will be in the next hotfix.  It's really making the game annoying.  

Also, was my video upload not working?  I was thinking about just recording all my playthroughs and uploading them to youtube next time.  

Share this comment