Texture Edges Flicker on macOS since Automation Update

hukl
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Steam Known Issue

Since the Automation update I get random flickering of texture edges of all terrain textures. I have already verified the game resources via steam and re-installed it but the issue persists and its quite annoying. Attached you'll see a picture of how it looks when it sometimes gets stuck in the state without the texture edges.

A video of the flickering can be found here: http://smyck.org/oni-texture-flicker.MOV

I'm running macOS High Sierra with a AMD Radeon R9 280X 3 GB graphic card.

I'm also attaching the save file that I'm currently playing but it seems to happen on all new worlds I'm starting.

IMG_5734.JPG

Total Perspective Vortex.sav

Steps to Reproduce
Start playing the game. I have just started a new world and everything is running super smooth graphics performance wise, especially since the last update so it might be related to some optimizations. However when the dupes are building something, for example a ladder, the moment the ladder is finished/materializes - all the terrain textures flicker briefly in the exact same moment. It should be noted that things I've built do not flicker.

User Feedback

A number of people have been reporting graphics issues on osx and the common theme seems to be High Sierra, did you played the old version on High Sierra or was it on an older osx version?

Share this comment

I can confirm this issue.

it also happens every Time a drop of water or any other liquid is released out of a liquid vent.

so you can reproduce the issue by building a Pump and a liquid vent and run water throug it.

Edited by Wurzel

Share this comment

1 hour ago, Wurzel said:

I can confirm this issue.

it also happens every Time a drop of water or any other liquid is released out of a liquid vent.

so you can reproduce the issue by building a Pump and a liquid vent and run water throug it.

Can you post your specs and whether or not you are using osx and which version. Rather than just saying me too.

Share this comment

@AlexRou

Hmm I'm not a 100% certain. But I'm quite sure that I started playing recently again before the Automation Update was out, on High Sierra and I don't remember having these issues or not that massively. I started a new world when the Automation Update was out and it was becoming unplayable at times and I definitely didn't upgrade in between. Only minor updates to High Sierra. 

I also noticed a significant performance boost with the update especially in the early phases of game - which is why I suspected that it might be related to some optimizations. 

Share this comment

3 hours ago, AlexRou said:

Can you post your specs and whether or not you are using osx and which version. Rather than just saying me too.

This is an Mac-specific issue so i dient think it was necessary to include the Specks, sorry.

imac mid 2011 / AMD Radeon HD 6970M mit 2 GB / 16gig ram / macOS HighSierra

Share this comment

8 hours ago, Wurzel said:

This is an Mac-specific issue so i dient think it was necessary to include the Specks, sorry.

You can never be too sure, there are people who ignore what the report is saying and just say me too without context. 

8 hours ago, Wurzel said:

imac mid 2011 / AMD Radeon HD 6970M mit 2 GB / 16gig ram / macOS HighSierra

I'm wondering if its AMD + high sierra .... can't remember if there was someone with another graphics chip but I know I've seen AMD quite a few times.

Share this comment

We have a potential fix for this in our next build, which is scheduled to be released this Thursday. If you'd like to test it a bit early, you can switch to our preview branch by following the instructions here: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/85205-tubular-upgrade-preview-and-holiday-break/ . Please note that if you switch to this branch, your saved games will become unplayable on the released version of the game until it is updated this Thursday. The preview branch is also somewhat slower than the release version of the game as it is a debug build of the game.

Whether you update to the preview branch, or wait for the Thursday update, could you please let us know if you still experience the issue in the new version of the game?

Share this comment

@255So I have just installed the update and played my existing world. At first it seemed much better. I panned and zoomed around my base and only in the area of my oil well I noticed some flickering. It almost stopped when I disabled the oil well and started again when I enabled it. 

After a while though it was as bad as before just faster thanks to the performance update ;) 

When I pan away from the oil well area the textures everywhere on the map were as broken as in my initial screenshot.

I made another video to demonstrate it which I have attached to this post.

oni-texture-flicker-2.MOV

Edited by hukl
More concise and accurate observation

Share this comment

I have booted Windows on the same machine via Bootcamp and installed Steam/ONI, copied over my world from the macos disk and tested it on the exact same hardware but with a different OS. As suspected before, no flickering whatsoever on windows. 

So the thesis that it is a macOS HighSierra / AMD issue seems still very likely. I hope you guys can fix it soon!

Share this comment

Test your build on the newest preview branch as it is the most optimized with the smallest yet map sizes and therefore may work for you, the devs would like to know your experiences with trying to play the new preview build on your system.

Share this comment

I'm playing the preview builds of the occupational updaten but the issue is still present although currently I only see the edges/highlights of metals flickering. It still occurs whenever water drops out of a vent. I can make another video showing this if you'd like.

Share this comment

Having the same issue, making the game fairly annoying to play unfortunately. 

Specs:
iMac (Retina 5k, 27-inch, Late 2015)
Processor: 3,2GHz Intel core i5
Memory: 8GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB

The issue only appears while there is dripping water on the screen. If I pan away from the dripping water, so it is not visible on the screen the issue goes away until I pan back.

Share this comment

Quick Update: I've tried the current cosmic experimental update and its much better. Now only the very thin edges flicker slightly and not the whole texture or large parts of the edges as in the pictures.

Definitely much better - I'd consider this 90-95% fixed :)

Share this comment

On 11/06/2018 at 7:36 PM, hukl said:

Quick Update: I've tried the current cosmic experimental update and its much better. Now only the very thin edges flicker slightly and not the whole texture or large parts of the edges as in the pictures.

Definitely much better - I'd consider this 90-95% fixed :)

Can confirm the same on my setup, barely notice the flickering on cosmic. Have not tested with the expression update yet. Still only happens while there is water dripping on screen. 

EDIT: Just loaded my save, and I am not sure why, still on Cosmic, but the flickering is now with this save at least just as bad as before..

Edited by Toffe
updates.

Share this comment

If anything, after testing I'd say it's worse on the expression update then it has been before.. 

@255 any news regarding if this issue will see some love anytime soon? :)

Share this comment