Sweep Priority Issues

644232_1452791058
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: OSX Pending

If I have an automatic dispenser set to sweep only and then select an item to be swept with the highest priority (!!), dupes will not react in any way.

Normally a !! task will cause dupes to drop everything to complete it ASAP. The only way to get dupes to immediately complete the sweep task is to set the automatic dispenser itself to !! priority.

Even if the automatic dispenser is set to priority 9, dupes will still do other tasks first.

This is very annoying and doesn't fall in line with other !! priority behaviour. In cases like slime, where fast sweeping is very important, you can't simply !! sweep an area - you have to sweep it AND then set the automatic dispenser to !! priority. One would think a !! sweep would be enough...

A very inefficient solution would be to have the ore dropper always on !! priority, but then you constantly have alarms and a yellow border.

P.S. it doesn't matter if dupes are on standard priorities or have ++ priority for tidying and storing - they will still choose to do other tasks first before completing a !! sweep...

Steps to Reproduce
Have an automatic dispenser (or perhaps normal storage container) set to "sweep only" and set to priority 9. Sweep something using !! priority. Watch as dupes run other supply/construction/dig/research jobs and literally run past the sweep job without even reacting.

User Feedback

I think no sweep orders are getting assigned to dupes in the latest preview release. I can’t get sweep tasks to go in anything but normal priority.

Share this comment

I wasn't able to repro this. Duplicants were sweeping and the priority on the ore would supersede the priority on the Automated Dispenser. Would you be able to post a save file that shows the issue happening? Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Perhaps you have "Tidy" errands on low priority and sweeping is "tidy" now (not a "supply" or "storage" for some reason as I was thinking at first).

Share this comment

On 7/24/2019 at 2:41 AM, Ipsquiggle said:

I wasn't able to repro this. Duplicants were sweeping and the priority on the ore would supersede the priority on the Automated Dispenser. Would you be able to post a save file that shows the issue happening? Thanks!

@Ipsquiggle Sorry, I wasn't notified about the reply and was about to post a follow up bug report before I decided maybe I should check the old one.

I did some more testing and have narrowed down the issue(s) to certain situations. Note that the dupe has standard priority for all jobs (30).

1. First Issue: Proximity disabled. Containers set to sweep only. Have some debris that needs to be swept with various different priority levels. Make sure one of the sweep jobs is set to !! priority. When the container is on priority 9, watch as the dupe does the priority 9 sweep first (ignoring the !!), then for some reason the priority 5 sweep (ignoring the 8). Setting the storage container to priority !! simply made the dupe pick the nearest item. Setting the storage container to priority 8 or lower suddenly made him respect the material priority and after completely the priority 9 sweep, he would go and do the priority 8 sweep and then the priority 5 sweep. The !! sweep job remains ignored.5d658c490b785_Bug_proxdisabled!!.thumb.png.9853a47f8d76862d68bd26ffe2cd37b0.png
  2. Second Issue: Proximity enabled. Containers set to sweep only. Same debris setup as above. Container priority also matters in this situation. With priority 9 or priority !!, dupes will always pick the sweep job closest to them, regardless of item sweep priority (as shown in the picture of the dupe deciding to sweep a priority 1 instead of the 9 or !!). Once you put the container to priority 8 or lower, all of a sudden they respect item priority and go for sweep jobs in proper priority oder. However, the !! sweep job still remains ignored!5d658c4db3745_Bug_proxenabled9!!.thumb.png.a339bf5e50101fcb45f1b63f70c9e1bd.png
  3. Lastly, I have noticed that, if the dupe has their 'Storing' preference one level lower than their 'Tidy' preference, they will respect material priority in more situations than if not. For example, the issue with containers being at priority 9 is not present in either situation #1 or #2 when their preferences are set so. The bug with containers at priority !! remains (they will still always pick the nearest item, regardless whether or not proximity is enabled or not). I don't know why having both equal would cause this buggy behaviour. I'm not good with game code, I just made these gameplay observations. However, (big surprise), even with tidying at 30 priority and storing at 20 priority, the !! sweep is still ignored.

I've attached the save file of a sandbox game where I did the testing. Proximity is disabled when you load in, so you can do a test without it, then reload and enable proximity to see bug #2 and do another reload for the test with adjusted job priorities. The debris is a couple thousand kgs, so you can reliably see the behaviour over a longer period of time.

Hope this helps somehow. I'm sure this can't be working as intended and some priority values must be causing weird calculations that would make a dupe ignore certain sweep jobs like this.

Cheers,

Vasco

Sandbox.sav

Edited by vascoegertklei
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment